My defence is a disaster

hey everyone

i'm currently playing with burnley in the EPL (season 2), and i'm conceding too much in my opinion, my defenders+GK are making a lot of mistakes that costs me with goals.

tactic + team instructions

nbp2wz.png

(Their morale is low because we had 4 defeats in a row versus Arsenal,Liverpool,Chelsea and Man Utd)

Example of a mistake

157ezch.png

the black line is shackell pass to enyeama, the green line is darren bent taking the ball and finishing it.

i'm trying to tweak my tactic from match to match but that's doesnt seem like working...

thanks ahead :)

I'll be honest, if you are Burnley boosted to EPL, I would be offering the backline more midfield support than you seem to be. Just my opinion, but the level of clubs you are facing would cause me to back off a bit on aggressive offensive approach.

I'll be honest, if you are Burnley boosted to EPL, I would be offering the backline more midfield support than you seem to be. Just my opinion, but the level of clubs you are facing would cause me to back off a bit on aggressive offensive approach.

Exactly. Once you hit the premiership and you are gunning for a decent spot, you need to make sure that your midfield supports your defense almost always. Furthermore the choice of playing a 4231 is almost suicidal for a team unless they have really good players at their beck and call. You could have opted for a defensive version of the 4231 with two deep lying DMs, however you elected to use the more attacking variant, which almost makes it mandatory for you to play with a pushed up DL that supports the midfield. Oh yeah and before i forget, you almost need to be playing fluid as well.

Furthermore the attacking 4231 only comes into their own when the fullbacks can multitask. You have to expect your AM strata to smoke cigars when you are defending, cos they will be expecting the 2 midfielders and the back four to be solid enough to hold back threat. Furthermore the MCs and the DLs have to have good anticipation, concentration, decisions and passing as well, cause they are required to play deep through balls to the attacking strata ahead.

Looking at the date of the match, I doubt you have had time to build a squad that can even put a dent in the top four, the first clue that you can is when you start hammering Liverpool. If you can't even beat Liverpool (you need to out possess and out shoot them), then you aren't ready to play the 4231. I can't understand why so many people are adamant at playing the 4231, whilst it looks great on paper, its only great when you have 6 fantastic players in the defensive and midfield strata. Its such a demanding system to play especially when you have players that aren't the best in the league. If you don't change your system you are going to be relegated.

Oh and I just saw your closing down instructions.."stand off more"????? with a 4231?

It's the match engine. The 13.2.2 match engine is known to have many serious issues and they are working hard to fix it. So don't bother to tweak your tactic because there's nothing you can do. Just live with it.

Thanks for the quick reply :) the engine may be troubled, but there must be a way to improve the situation.

do you suggest that i will move the AMC to MC and one MC to DMC or the AML and AMR to ML and MR ? (or both)

Exactly. Once you hit the premiership and you are gunning for a decent spot, you need to make sure that your midfield supports your defense almost always. Furthermore the choice of playing a 4231 is almost suicidal for a team unless they have really good players at their beck and call. You could have opted for a defensive version of the 4231 with two deep lying DMs, however you elected to use the more attacking variant, which almost makes it mandatory for you to play with a pushed up DL that supports the midfield. Oh yeah and before i forget, you almost need to be playing fluid as well.

Furthermore the attacking 4231 only comes into their own when the fullbacks can multitask. You have to expect your AM strata to smoke cigars when you are defending, cos they will be expecting the 2 midfielders and the back four to be solid enough to hold back threat. Furthermore the MCs and the DLs have to have good anticipation, concentration, decisions and passing as well, cause they are required to play deep through balls to the attacking strata ahead.

Looking at the date of the match, I doubt you have had time to build a squad that can even put a dent in the top four, the first clue that you can is when you start hammering Liverpool. If you can't even beat Liverpool (you need to out possess and out shoot them), then you aren't ready to play the 4231. I can't understand why so many people are adamant at playing the 4231, whilst it looks great on paper, its only great when you have 6 fantastic players in the defensive and midfield strata. Its such a demanding system to play especially when you have players that aren't the best in the league. If you don't change your system you are going to be relegated.

Oh and I just saw your closing down instructions.."stand off more"????? with a 4231?

thanks for the help :)

i'll change the tactic to something more defensive and post it later, before the losses to the big four, i was in 10th place.

about the "stand of more", that's just something i tried after a loss at the beggining of the season and forgot to change.

again, thanks for the help

It will certainly be more solid, but I think it's a bit imbalanced with only 2 attacking duties.

If you wanted to apply a bit of wwfan's Twelve Step Guide way of thinking, it might make sense to set your left full back to attacking to make some movement across the start on your left.

It will certainly be more solid, but I think it's a bit imbalanced with only 2 attacking duties.

If you wanted to apply a bit of wwfan's Twelve Step Guide way of thinking, it might make sense to set your left full back to attacking to make some movement across the start on your left.

i'll set my DL duty to attack and see how it's going

Ok...this is what you need to apply in the game:

You need to determine, and only you can do this, which sides are the ones you can beat easily, which are the sides who will give you a good run and which are the sides you have to play out of your skin to even get a point. What I like about FM13 over FM12 is that for once, I need to think. In previous versions of the game you could get away with one tactic for all occasions. Now you can still do that but you need to pay a bit more attention to your squad.

I wrote this thread out its fairly easy to understand and I try to keep things basic. Its a simple guide. Essentially you need to evaluate your side, when you put that formation up, my immediate thought was ..hmm you will need to make sure you get a lot of movement from your fullbacks against sides that are average to get goals since you really are depending on an exceptional lone forward and really only 2 others supporting him. The MC is going to be late coming into the box, so either against average sides you play with an attacking mentality or you ahve another tactic.

I personally feel that you need give yourself more attacking options. The 41221 isn't that much of a leap from a 4231. Furthermore once your players learn the 41221 you can even modify it to be a 4321 a 4312 or a 4231. That is why I feel that the 41221 is such a good beginner formation. The formation you are currently using requires this to happen for you to score:

a. If you are playing control - attacking you could stand a chance but a lot will depend on the quality of your front 3 to hold up the ball.

b. It needs you to have attacking fullbacks cos as they run up, and hopefully your AMs are set up as wide midfielders or inside forwards. WM are more likely to come back to defend at least in the attacking half of the pitch and to some extent in your half. Wingers smoke cigars. Inside forwards cut in and allow your fullbacks to overlap. This gives you more movement up front.

c. Against weaker sides like the ss you just posted, you will find that your possession may be higher in your side of the pitch but because you don't really have good hold up men upfront you will not have good possession where it matters...so...what you can do to bolster your chances is increase the risk factor.

you do this by asking your DMs to support that way they move forward and by doing this the MC is encouraged to move forward as well, this is where his attacking setup comes in handy, he doesnt really need to be on support essentially because your already have 4 players in that zone defending when the ball is in your own half, by adding a fifth you don't have a threat in the opposing half for the AI to worry about. If you were playing football irl and you found that 6 of their players never left their half, would you sit back in your own half? No. You are allowing the AI to camp in your half..so you need to increase the risk factor

Basically in a nutshell you can either switch to a 41221 or

use the same tactic but for your three different kinds of opponents make small adjustments to roles and strategy

Zonal Marking on all players

High Defensive Line (first notch of push up)

Offside Trap

Tight Marking on all players

Maximum closing down on all midfielders and forwards

Full Backs closing down 2 notches below max

Centre Backs closing down 4 notches below max

Thats my defensive set up without the ball and its sorted most of the problems I was having. I use a Fluid/Attacking set up with zonal marking and that will give you the above set up (you will have to manually change tight marking on all players)

Give it a whirl and see how it goes, but I can say its worked really well for my Hartlepool side (now in premier league and finished 3rd and won League Cup/Europa League in my 3rd season in Premier League) and we had the 3rd best defensive record despite not having anywhere near the top class players that the top clubs have.

I had same problems with defending. I'm using exactly the same line-up, except my keeper role is set to sweeper keeper and I have poacher upfront. Oh and IF(s) instead of W(s). So not the same after all :p

I just brought BWM player down to defensive midfield position and changed his role to DM(d). Problem solved. Depending on opponent wing strength I can move him to either side, so he can help my fullback. So far AI haven't be able to handle it. Plus it creates more space in final third, therefore making my attack more dangerous.

Plus you have to know how to use opponent instructions. Setting it right really makes great difference to your opponent teamplay.

Hi guys, some good advice in this thread and well done Bueno for turning it round.

I'm just wondering what you guys think of my tactic:

ScreenShot2013-02-07at225826_zps7e2e937f.png

Have I set up the roles and duties correctly? The MCR is either Box to Box midfielder or a Ball Winning Midfielder, depending on who's playing there.

Archived