Last Friendly/First League Game

I'm just wondering how long people leave between them? I always ensure my final friendly is a minimum of 10 days before my first league match. I like to allow time for the players to be fully refreshed after the hard slog of pre-season and several games in quick succession I guess.

Would people recommend this size of gap of do you think a week is adequate?

7 days is what I consider a good amount of time when you have a premier league side. They are supposed to have good fitness at this level and it should be enough for them.

9-10 would be better for any league lower than that though.

I like to give 10 days. My last friendly is always against a top team (Barca, Real Mardrid ect..) and i will play by premier league rules with subs (unless a player gets injured after using 3 subs) so i then give them a nice 10 days rest so they are 100% fit ready for the start of the season

Wow, I'm usually the opposite, leaving about 5 days between final friendly and first league match, but I usually don't have players play more than 75% of a friendly match.

I always plan out my pre-seasons so that players have a longer break between seasons, and rotate starting & substitutes so each player plays roughly one full game over two friendlies.

Also, last friendly is usually an "easier" game to boost morale with a win.

I like to give 10 days. My last friendly is always against a top team (Barca, Real Mardrid ect..) and i will play by premier league rules with subs (unless a player gets injured after using 3 subs) so i then give them a nice 10 days rest so they are 100% fit ready for the start of the season

I'm the opposite, my last game is always at home to a very small rep non-league team so they can have a morale boosting 7+ goal win. They then get 7 days off to bask in the glory of beating Avon Rockleaze by such a margin.

a week before the league starts and for friendly matches i normally cancel half the pre season friendlies my ass man arranges as i refuse to have my players playing every 3 days pre season as i used to get lots of needless injuries playing the friendlies too close together and add some more myself to space the out

Archived