How often do you hit the woodwork?

Way too many.

I am 38 games into my season in the Championship and I honestly can not think of 1 single game were the woodwork was not hit,not just hit once but at least twice a game.

I have had a few games were it was hit numerous times,very unrealistic...well unless the woodwork in FM13 is around 75 cm's in diameter ;)

In past versions I would have my head in my hands when it hit the woodwork and sometimes saying 'ohh he hit the bar'.

Now I just say 'oh yeah the woodwork again,wonder how many this game'.

yea my gills team have had to spend around £20k this season in new goals as we have smashed the woodwork so many times...very frustating, cannot wait for this new patch. The game is kind of ruined at the moment but i still am determined to get though this and keep trying to break this broken game

It depends.

I have games where my team dont have any woodwork shot... and others games where my team have... 3... 4... 6 it's the record so far.

Another thing... i dont remember the last game where both team didn't have at least one woodwork shot.

In conclusion... i think they are too many!

It's a known bug, but they are not going to fix it in the next update because they said they had many other important bugs to address. I have a similar thread here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/343963-Off-the-wood-work

I believe that the issue will be improve with the next ME... simple because i think the total number of shots will be reduced. Less shots.... less woodwork shots also!

So... keep a positive attitude! :)

In the last dozen or so matches that I've played yesterday and today, I haven't hit the woodwork once, but the oppositions have hit it two or three times in total (I am topping the league, the BSP, at the moment, so it's not like we're not scoring).

Is strange you say that as when my team were in the BSN and BSP it was never a problem,it only really became a problem from L1 and it is pretty bad now in the Championship.

Not sure if I put that down to a patch that may have happened in between or some other factor with having better players or just having some insane bad luck.<shrug>

Far too often on this forum we see threads of this nature where someone states that the number of <whatevers> that happen is far too high, too low, ridiculous, etc etc but there are no statistics from either their FM save or from real life to back up the validity of the statement. For example if you say "I hit the woodwork at least once per game, seems incredibly high", how are we or SI to know whether this is actually "incredibly high" or low, or just about right?

What you actually need to do is compile the numbers from your game, get hold of the real life stats and compare to see if there is indeed an issue, or whether there is not.

To this end, I have just gone and looked at the stats from all the competitive matches my team (Almería) have played so far this season (2037/38). The results are as follows:

18 games played in total (4 CL group games, 1 Cope del Rey and 13 La Liga).

• There were 3 games where the woodwork was not hit at all by either team.
  • The highest combined (both teams) number of woodwork hits was 4.
  • The highest number of woodwork hits by a single team was also 4.
  • Total number of times my team has hit the woodwork - 13 (0.72 per game)
  • Total number of times opposition has hit woodwork - 8 (0.44 per game)

So from that we can see that total number of woodwork hits (both teams combined) - 1.17 per game

Is this too much, too little, about right? Well I don't know because I can't find real life stats for woodwork hits in La Liga BUT I bet they are out there and if someone could find them, then we can see. Only then will we know if there is an issue, and then we can begin to look into why it might be. Until that is done, there is no point everyone just chiming in with their "OMG I hit the woodwork 50 times per game, no joke!!!!!!!!1 This ME is awful, I'm not playing any more, etc etc etc."

What do we think?

:confused:

What the confusion?

I first say that i had games where my team dont have any woodwork shot!

But i also say that i dont remember the last game that didn't had any woodwork shots (total from both teams). Perhaps the last sentece wasn't clear enough! :)

So from that we can see that total number of woodwork hits (both teams combined) - 1.17 per game

Is this too much, too little, about right? Well I don't know because I can't find real life stats for woodwork hits in La Liga BUT I bet they are out there and if someone could find them, then we can see. Only then will we know if there is an issue, and then we can begin to look into why it might be. Until that is done, there is no point everyone just chiming in with their "OMG I hit the woodwork 50 times per game, no joke!!!!!!!!1 This ME is awful, I'm not playing any more, etc etc etc."

What do we think?

I had a quick look and found this http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopics/Season-Stats-77115.html

It is from the 2001/2002 Premiership season and includes the question and answer 'Which team hit the woodwork on the most occasions?

Tottenham Hotspur. Spurs hit the woodwork 16 times.'

So I would say 1.7 is way to high.

If I get time later I will go through my entire season as I think I have it a bit higher than 1.7.

I had a quick look and found this http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopics/Season-Stats-77115.html

It is from the 2001/2002 Premiership season and includes the question and answer 'Which team hit the woodwork on the most occasions?

Tottenham Hotspur. Spurs hit the woodwork 16 times.'

So I would say 1.7 is way to high.

If I get time later I will go through my entire season as I think I have it a bit higher than 1.7.

I found several articles talking about how many times Liverpool hit the woodwork in the 2011-2012 season and IIRC the total was 34, I don't know how many games they played that season but let's say it was 50, that makes 0.68 per game. Compared to my team's 0.72 and opposition's 0.44, that's not too far off.

I need a bigger sample size but there's no point counting them all up if I can't get proper stats for real life to compare it to.

EDIT: Liverpool hit 29 in 38 Premier League matches last season, which makes 0.85 per game. Note that this is talked about because it is unusually high though.

I found several articles talking about how many times Liverpool hit the woodwork in the 2011-2012 season and IIRC the total was 34, I don't know how many games they played that season but let's say it was 50, that makes 0.68 per game. Compared to my team's 0.72 and opposition's 0.44, that's not too far off.

I need a bigger sample size but there's no point counting them all up if I can't get proper stats for real life to compare it to.

Actually there are many fan sites and boards set up for that Liverpool season as it was incredible that they managed to hit the woodwork so much that season.

My problem with it is headers hitting the woodwork, it's far too many times, players are in incapable of heading downwards which is unrealistic to an extent, I think I will need to sign players who are 4 foot tall then they will have no problem missing the bar ha I really hope they will have tweaked it in the ME update but I don't think Paul c has as he didn't mention it so its not lookin good

The number of times depends on the number of shots on target. And the number of shots depends on the tactic you play. I play a very offensive tactic (Thaksin in the Tactics subforum modified to my taste) and have about 20 - 30 shots a match depending on the opponents, around 2/3 of which are on target and about 3 woodworks a match (total of number of woodworks of both my team and the other team). I play Real Madrid and I know it's a very strong team, but if you count the their total number of woodwork IRL from the start of this season, I don't think it's more than 10, or even 5.

If you play a defensive tactic obviously your number of woodwork is low. So we can't really compare our averages here. The problem is IRL, it's very hard to have 1 woodwork every single match in a season, regardless of how offensive or defensive the tactic is.

My problem with it is headers hitting the woodwork, it's far too many times, players are in incapable of heading downwards which is unrealistic to an extent, I think I will need to sign players who are 4 foot tall then they will have no problem missing the bar ha I really hope they will have tweaked it in the ME update but I don't think Paul c has as he didn't mention it so its not lookin good

Totally agree that players are incapable of heading it down. The only headers players seem to score from are the odd glancing header from a rare decent deep cross. Crosses from the byline straight at Andy Carroll in my case hit the bar of fly over it!!

The number of times depends on the number of shots on target. And the number of shots depends on the tactic you play. I play a very offensive tactic (Thaksin in the Tactics subforum modified to my taste) and have about 20 - 30 shots a match depending on the opponents, around 2/3 of which are on target and about 3 woodworks a match (total of number of woodworks of both my team and the other team). I play Real Madrid and I know it's a very strong team, but if you count the their total number of woodwork IRL from the start of this season, I don't think it's more than 10, or even 5.

If you play a defensive tactic obviously your number of woodwork is low. So we can't really compare our averages here. The problem is IRL, it's very hard to have 1 woodwork every single match in a season, regardless of how offensive or defensive the tactic is.

That's not true at all. If you have more shots then you have more chance of hitting the woodwork by the law of averages but it doesn't mean you are guaranteed to hit the woodwork more.

Also, a shot against the woodwork is classed as off target. So you could finish a game with none on target but 3 against the woodwork.

Archived