Struggling to get shots in from inside the box... Or on target when shots do happen.

Hi guys, I'm playing as Man Utd, I'm not very far into the season but I'm really struggling very badly with shots.

Here are my tactics and the shots analysis from my last (and definitely worst so far) match.

I've also been using Play Wider, Run at Defence, Work Ball into Box and Get Ball Forward.

tactics_zps080071b1.gif

Shots_zps7e7ef28b.gif

Am I possibly worrying about nothing and I should just let my team gel (players are accomplished in every area) with the tactic fully before tinkering? These shooting issues just seem so bad that a bit more time to gel doesn't seem enough. I feel I need affirmative action!

Thanks for any help you give!

If this is a pre-season friendly, then don't read too much into it. Most of your shots are off target, but there were a number of blocked shots. I would perhaps ensure Nani and Young are set up as wingers, because if you have them set up as inside forwards you will essentially have 5 players in and around the box during attacks. This crowds the area and makes it much harder to get shots on target.

• SI Staff

It's mean that you don't give enough trouble to the opponent defense, try to play wider and faster...use through ball. Watch the game to see if you're playing fast enough...look to the opponent defense. Do they have time enough?

If you're playing fast enough, it means a matter with freedom and creativity. What are your team approach, strategy etc...?

edit the matter seems to come from wingers. What are their PPM? Did you try to change their instruction shoot from distance?

It's mean that you don't give enough trouble to the opponent defense, try to play wider and faster...use through ball. Watch the game to see if you're playing fast enough...look to the opponent defense. Do they have time enough?

If you're playing fast enough, it means a matter with freedom and creativity. What are your team approach, strategy etc...?

edit the matter seems to come from wingers. What are their PPM? Did you try to change their instruction shoot from distance?

Both have cut inside, Nani has shoots from distance and runs with ball and Young has places and curls shots and runs down left.

I've set both to rarely shoot from distance but am I right in thinking that Nani's PPM counters that instruction somewhat....?

This tactic uses very fluid and attacking.

I think you could be right playing a bit wider and faster, I'll give it a go, thanks for the advice.

• SI Staff

You're welcome, happy that my poor english was clear enough... You're right about Nanni's PPM. You might try to teach him to pass the ball rather than shooting, or to place his shots...it depends of his qualities.

Very fluid+attacking....

I think we got the point here. It allows a lot of mentality. In such a case, one of the key attribute is decision. Needs to be really high for your whole team....to me you get such a result first because your player have a lot a freedom but don't know how to use it well.:lol:

I'm not going to advice you to change approach or strategy...even if I would do so. Just try to had more disciplined in team instruction.

If it doesn't help at all, we'll have to think about approach, relationship, tactics..as it seems to me that we can improve your system. Example Cleverley's duty. Nanni's Task.

For Nanni what is his prefered foot please? both?

Sorry for such a stupid question, I never play top teams.:o

AlienIR may be in to something. Higher attacking mentality makes players more aggressive in their attacking. Perhaps play with a lower mentality and it should allow your team to be more patient. Also since both your wingers are cutting in, the opposition back 4 actually have an easier time defending by just becoming more narrow and compact. Are your fullbacks helping to stretch the play?

Damn I've already typed this out but my computer crashed -_-

@ AlienIR

The team in the screen shot is not a great example actually, I'd had a few injuries and had to mix it up a bit. Scholes is normally my AP and Carrick my BWM (actually that brings up another question... when you're going through a bit of an injury crisis do you change the player roles to ones that fit the player you have left, sacrificing a bit of the teams comfort with the tactic, or do you just fit the player into the tactic that they've learned to a high standard??).

Yes Nanni can use either foot.

Interesting what you are saying about decisions, Nanni's not got the best of mental stats. Hmmm maybe time to move him on before the end of the first transfer window.

@ metac0gnition

Thanks, I'll bring it down to Control and see how it gets on.

My full backs aren't stretching the opposition to any real effect to be honest.

P.S Oooo Juventus will take Nanni off of my hands for £16M. Time to find a more dedicated winger!

Your advice and a wee bit of tinkering seems to have cracked the issue, I had to reload an older version back to just after the reserves friendly due to some buggy goings on, which means I have Nanni back from Juventus and am now determined to get him going.

I changed from Attacking to Control, set the AP to S instead of A to take advantage of Scholes' passing wizardry while cutting down on his need to run around quite so much and changed the AMR to S also which seems to have also curbed Nanni's interference with the front two. He's still taking a few more shots than I would like but he is far, far better.

Most importantly I'm getting the ball into the opponent's area far more often and the shots are on target and less rushed.

And, metac0gnition, my FB are far more involved, overlapping the Wingers and getting crosses in far more than they did before.

Well, I hope I'm not sounding more excited than my two friendlies I've played warrant, hopefully this doesn't all fall down after a few more games.

Now I just need a Scholes replacement for the next season....

Thanks again guys, another two friendlies on and it's just working out so well. Nanni is my star player at the moment! Nanni!

Archived