Reserve coach doesn't use talented player

Hi people, I need advice with an issue I'm having. I bought a very talented youngster and placed him in the reserves so he can train with first team coaches. For some reason my assistant manager (he controls the reserves) never plays him and prefers to use some crappy players from my youth team in his position even if they have played for the youth team the day before. My youth players are stated as youngsters and this guy is stated as hot prospect. Also, my assistant has high judging ability and potential (17+ both). Anyone else had this issue? Any ideas how I can force my assistant to start using him? Almost half a season now and he only played 1 reserve game when I took brief control of them...

You get this a lot in my experience. Other than take over the Reserves and/or Under 18's yourself the solution I use is to promote the player(s) in question to the 1st team Squad and add the "can be used by reserve team" option from the drop down box. Then when you get asked which first team players are available for reserves you specify the players in question. You can also do this with the U18's to reserve team. What I have found though in all versions of FM is that the more 1st Team football you give your upcoming stars the faster they will develop their potential. I used to have the attitude wrongly that a young player with potential ie high PA but lesser CA would not make it in the first team until the CA was higher. This was wrong it means that if you play him every week he will turn into Michael Owen a crock at a young age but if you play him sensibly and watch he doesn't get over used then you get a Wayne Rooney for instance.

I tend to see which youngster have progressed well towards the end of the season. Then give them games should I be in a situation where I have nothing left to play for (avoided relegation, secured promotion/play offs etc)

I would like to see a few additions to the game:

1. Meet with individual staff - discuss who plays in the reserves, the reserve team philosophy (like keeping players match fit, blooding youngsters, or make your assistant/reserve manager pick the team based on u23 rules (limit the amount of over 23 players that can be in the reserves xvi)

2. Be able to limit a players game time - make players unavailable for reserves or place them at the bottom of the pecking order.

I would like to see a few additions to the game:

1. Meet with individual staff - discuss who plays in the reserves, the reserve team philosophy (like keeping players match fit, blooding youngsters, or make your assistant/reserve manager pick the team based on u23 rules (limit the amount of over 23 players that can be in the reserves xvi)

very good idea:thup:

Yep, good ideas both. I'd also like to see the development list working a bit different. I'm not a big fan of sending my youngsters out on loan and ruining their 'trained at club' status, so it would be nice if the development list showed my reserve and yout coaches that they should focus on those specific players.

Anyway, I don't think this is the right place for suggestions to improve the game. I'm going to try what bluesjunior suggested and move my player to senior team and make him available for reserves and see how it works :)

Archived