Anyone else find FM13 really hard vs FM12?

Hi all,

First post!

I've come here in desperation as I'm feeling so frustrated playing FM13. I find it incredibly difficult compared to FM12 and often just can't see why I'm doing badly. Any time I threaten to do well I seem to have a bizarre downturn in form.

When I played FM12, I started as Oxford in League 2. 10/11 years later I'd won a couple of Champions Leagues and Premier Leagues with them. Realistic? No. Fun? Yes!

In FM13, I was sacked by Oxford, managed to get a job at Gillingham and was sacked there too. At the Gills, I actually stared pretty well and got into the play-offs with a great run of form over the 2nd half of the season. In the summer I strengthened the squad with 3/4 players who were better than what I had. The squad was now possibly the strongest in the league, certainly in the top 2 or 3. However, when the new season started my team was now inexplicably terrible and went on a terrible run which culminated in throwing away a 4-0 lead over the bottom team to lose 5-4! (this match included the almost compulsory events of my team hitting the woodwork several times and having 1 or 2 goals ruled out)

I've never been one to spend lots of time on the tactical side of things. I just pick an appropriate formation based on my squad and try to find the best players to fill the positions in that formation. I generally play standard/balanced, changing very few of the settings. Whilst this approach worked well in FM12, as long as I found good players, it doesn't seem to work at all in FM13. There were times in FM12 where I had bad runs but I could usually understand them - squad not strong enough, lots of injuries, etc. In FM 2013 I have no idea why teams with much poorer players continually beat me, especially when i usually have 3 times as many goal attempts as they do. Regardless of tactical set-up, surely if my squad is stronger than the others, I should still win games? I'm not playing a 1-4-5 formation or something crazy, I've tried standard 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-1-2.

Has anyone else found that what they did in FM12 simply isn't good enough in FM13 or that the bad results seem a bit odd? Do I have to accept that I need to be tweaking tactics for every opposition if I want to do well?

I keep thinking there's some overall setting that I've messed up, like I'm over-training the team or something but I can't figure it out. Possibly the answer is that i'm just rubbish but this is a bit frustrating when I could play previous incarnations fine. I was SO looking forward to playing FM13 but it's just made me miserable! :-(

Any suggestions appreciated...

Thanks,

Mark

I've done better and with the same approach as you. I don't really change much and never touch the sliders.

I do however change roles for the individual players, and make sure I don't have, for instance, 2 ball winning midfielders on pitch at the same time.

I rotate players not performing. Anything below 6.2 will make the player sit out next game.

I don't play unfit players. Anyone below 92 % sits out.

I'm very cautious about changing tactics during a game. I find it to cripple my play more than improve it. I don't change tactics unless something is totally off.

And the last but most important thing, I started watching the matches to see where stuff goes wrong.

In 6 seasons I was promoted from the lowest Danish league to the best.

thanks for the replies. Langefis - I think I do virtually everything you suggest...other than watch the full games. I'll maybe give that a go and see if I can spot the problems. It's good to know you've had success without having to put loads of time in adapting tactics.

And the last but most important thing, I started watching the matches to see where stuff goes wrong.

This. A million times, this. You learn SO much from watching matches. I really don't understand people that have the capability to watch matches on their pc's but choose not to.

Not watching games would be like a manager giving his team talk in the dressing room, and then staying there and listening to the game on the radio. I'll just never understand why people still do that.

Plus you get so much more pleasure from actually watching your midfielder rifle in a goal from 30 yards. It's just better in every way possible.

I am always real patient until the first long shot goes sailing over the bar, or the opposition wins their first corner. Where in real life I would be glad for the break it gives my players in FM I just want to get the corner kick over with, and see if they scored or not (i.e. whether we will continue as usual, or make an adjustment due to conceding). I also find I am unnerved by mistakes my players make, when I watch the full match, making me more likely to rashly adjust tactics/instructions. I will be watching the ball move around, and I will be thinking, "OK, now quickly advance the ball", and then watch as the player dallies on the ball, runs toward his own goal, and almost effs up a simple pass back to a CB.

As for the difficulty, I skipped FM 12, because of an extended FM 11 save. I had heard rumblings before playing that team talks were problematic, so I decided to let my Assistant Manager handle the first couple months of team talks (and still handles my press conferences). It helped quite a lot, to see what my AM was telling the players, and seeing when they reacted well, and when they didn't react at all. I had to replay some games in my first season to make sure the team didn't go on any terrible runs (which are best handled by preventing them, IMO) and that I kept the job until the next season when I could put my fingerprints all over the team.

Haven't had to replay a game now in the last 3 seasons, and have been crowned champions of Italy, so certainly I would say there is a learning curve, and added difficulty in a number of areas (specifically away games, and team talks) but nothing drastic. I really like the team comparisons that are available now, its really useful as a quick reference for areas where your team is weak!

This. A million times, this. You learn SO much from watching matches. I really don't understand people that have the capability to watch matches on their pc's but choose not to.

Not watching games would be like a manager giving his team talk in the dressing room, and then staying there and listening to the game on the radio. I'll just never understand why people still do that.

Plus you get so much more pleasure from actually watching your midfielder rifle in a goal from 30 yards. It's just better in every way possible.

Yeah, I do watch either Key or Extended. I'd prefer not to watch longer than this but maybe i'll try for 1 or 2 games to see if it helps.

Try and see exactly where you are losing and what your team are doing wrong,, make sure you watching in extended at least to try catch it. What I mean is ,, are you not killing teams off, are you losing goals at corners and or set pieces or is your defense just leaking goals generally.

When you start to see patterns develop do something ,, change your training / pre-match training appropriately,, they are all there,, -- defending set pieces or attack movement if you just aren't scoring enough to kill teams off or team cohesion after a bad run sets in or when you have a few new players getting used to each other,,,,,, and dont forget to keep rotating the training types as and when. My rule is when Im winning I leave alone and when I lose or draw a few in a row I go back and have a look again.

It may not be the total answer but I think it helps.

Last night I hit a bad run with Barca (well by Barca standards ),, drawing game after game,, and like you I kept giving away 2 or 3 goal leads,,, I changed some of my training focus to more defensive movement and set piece training and played a more balanced game and within a game or two it turned around again. Although it may have helped having about £120 mil to spend in January :p:D

the games unplayable ,how many times do you blow a 2 or 3 nil lead ? years gone by you had good runs and bad runs on 13 its just bad ,you set your men to to close down amd tight mark a player he runs the game . you train at set pieces you concede at set pieces, ...for every 1 person who says the game is easy theres 100 who have gave up playing ...roll on 14 lol

one day we will have a ME update and an playable game.

biggest difference is that fm12 had 5-6 exploits... (striker bug, corner cheat, 3 strikers tactic, narrow formations etc..) thus it was really easy now in fm13 that's not possible

but i wouldn't say its so hard (this patch is ok but if next one fixes the few bugs remaining then fm13 could be the best game ever done!)

It is the first time that I can remember in FM series that I won Premier League with 102pts, no losses, 6 draws. Won championship and all the cups I was involved (just missed the Capital One) for two straight seasons. Going to the third now and so far, just wins. Can't say the game is too hard for me.

However I did not play FM12, so I can't really compare.

On this ME-version I've found that a more cautions approach is key. Unless I'm big favorites at home, playing defensive/rigid and avoid advanced wingers is very effective. I scored 108 in the league last season, playing defensive in most away games and difficult home games. I prefer standard/fluid in games I expect to dominate.

If I go out attacking I will usually score first, but end up conceding lots of goals, even if I try to adapt to their tactics.

FM 12 was easy because there was no collision. All you need is a striker with 20 pace, 20 acc as a lone poacher with some midfielders that can pass and your striker will rip apart defense with at least 60+ goals a season.

Add in corner kick aimed at near post you're looking at another 20+ goals a season with your defender.

FM 12 was easy because there was no collision. All you need is a striker with 20 pace, 20 acc as a lone poacher with some midfielders that can pass and your striker will rip apart defense with at least 60+ goals a season.

Add in corner kick aimed at near post you're looking at another 20+ goals a season with your defender.

I'd still say a lack of suitable collision is a problem though. Countless times in FM13 I've seen striker glide into the running lines of defenders tracking back and reach a ball first against all odds.

YES.

I find that every year they make tweaks as to make it so your tactics from the previous version dont work. I like playing a certain style of football, but find myself pushed into the corner of having to play the way FM wants me to play.

On fm12 I had some success. Not as much as fm11, but im struggling this year to find the way that SI insist I should play.

FM 13 is the "hardest" so far yes. But not in a good way. Can't make tactics I want in FM13. The only tactics that really work is all overloading the center midfield.

Gone back to FM11, been unhappy with both 12 and 13. Not sure if I will continue to play this game series.

I found that not doing tactics and just use default tacits and the stupid screams works just as well as a well thought out tactic.

I do not see how a player can hear a manager scream in a 80000 stadium to begin with.

Football management should be about management and tactics like football, FM13 is just a mess.

FM12 was easiest fm ever due to exploits. FM13 has less exploits but still way too easy if you know what your doing.

The problem is... so many people dont know what they are doing... and because of that blame the ME.

Every FM will turn into a easy game when the user (us) understand how the ME works and how the AI teams use the ME. Simple as that! :)

I've found FM13 slightly easier than any of the previous FMs. I always start with a recently promoted club to the BSN or BSS. My usual pattern sees me getting promoted to L2 in three seasons. In FM13 I did it in two.

I then usually take a job at a bigger club that's fallen on hard times and take them to the EPL. First season, I usually scrape survival. In FM13, I was safe by March.

Negotiating seems tougher. But then again, I am comparing to a FM11 save where I was the number one repped team in the world for an extended period, so probably made a difference in negotiating with top talents.

In FM11 I found there was always a price I could get a youth prospect for, no matter what, usually less than $6.5m (dollars, so 5m pounds). But in FM13 teams seem to realize their precocious talents shouldn't be sold so easily, so cheaply, or so young! Which is good to see.

Form is maybe a bit different in FM13, both for players and teams. My team will give up leads, allow a late goal, lose against a bottom side inexplicably occasionally, but I find that if the team personality is good and you really lay into the team, telling them how **** they were you will rebound with a run of 4 or 5 good games. I don't think my players or team form shifted quite so quickly in FM11.

Maybe it will just turn out to be a matter of becoming more familiar, though, only been playing 13 for about a month now.

[rant]

I found it not hard, but more buggy, i don't like the logic of players, 0 goals from free kicks, most of the goals are coming from tight angles, strikers passback instead of scoring and many more.

That is probably i gather a lot if frustration after this ME and I get angry by default on it. Just hate it and can't wait until it will be fixed.

Of coarse, main goal of the game is to learn ME and build your tactic around it, nobody can simulate real-life football and real-life behaviour. But I just would like too see less fckedup ME.

[/rant]

But still I found it a little easier then 13, but less interesting. I miss boring training sliders :D

Got promoted to 2nd league in 2 seasons and have chances to get into league 1 from 3rd

I will definitely 1000 times think before pre-ordering FM again :)

Well, at least FM13 fixed the ripping the defense part. Now there is no defense at all to begin with. Strikers are able to simply walk through the defenders, get 1 meter away from the goal and shoot. Well, that's if they don't decide to keep shooting long shots like they are on an aiming contest.

Defense can be very frustrating in FM13 I admit, after much trial and error and reading of the tactical forums I learned that FM13 is more about space control than FM12 which is why its so different.

Before in FM12 with a good formation and player that have the right attributes you can walk over any team. In FM13 you still need them but now you have to make changes during the game to constrict opponent's passing space utilize the collision system--which to me is very much a guessing game because the graphical ME doesn't do a good job conveying anything--which is why I think a lot of people find the game hard.

I don't find it really hard but I'm finding it very boring, it seems the further in to my save I go the worse it gets... The football is getting terrible, the passing seems to be getting worse and my players seem as though they've got fed up of playing. My last 8 games have brought about a grand total of 3 goals and five 0 - 0 draws. I'm praying that the next update sorts it out.

How far into the save are you? I've just finished my 4th season and it seems to have gone in reverse for me, my squad was very slow at first, then I got rid of a lot of veterans for talented youngsters, they made a lot of mistakes while developing but are generally very solid players after their first full season with the first team.

If I have a bad result, such as losing to bottom clubs, or getting 25 shots but draw 0-0, then I let my team have it. They are a determined bunch, and they tend to react well, not just in terms of morale but the results in the matches that follow. Do you have an AM who is good at man management who can assist in your team talks/press conferences?

Exactly the same as many others. I've tried creating a tactic, this hasn't worked. I've then tried just using a basic tactic to the strength of the players I have and still nothing works. I don't just get beat, every game is like a cup tie against a top team.

I'm all up for a challenge but it just seems impossible at the moment and I have no idea what to do about it!

Seriously, people, you can't create a tactic, use it one match and then say "it didn't work". Try it home and away. For 3 months. See what minor tweaks are possible, such as getting more forward runs from a fullback or central mid. See if adjusting the tempo works. Would it benefit from a deeper/higher line? I play a 4-3-1-2 and I know that moving the LB forward to a WB position helped my offense massively.

Part of it was that the player at LB was more comfortable at WB but another aspect was that Alvaro Pereira is an attacking back by nature, and getting him forward and more involved brought the best out of him. And the defense is still quite tight. Again, same 4-3-1-2, when I was playing more narrow I suffered. Its a formation that already lacks in width, so playing narrow just compounds your problems.

Most importantly, the formation should get the most out of your players, but for away matches neutralizing the opposition is key as well. This means NOT playing a 4 man midfield against a 5 man midfield, away from home, in most cases.

I just assumed that the match engine was there as a gimmick to get people interested in the game. the 'football' is more like crazy football.

I just assumed that the match engine was there as a gimmick to get people interested in the game. the 'football' is more like crazy football.

Before the rush to lynch you :D I'd point out that it does translate the actual play graphically as well as it's able to but I certainly treat the 3D view as screen candy tbh, I find the 2D useful in tracking off the ball movement and such but my main tool is stats.

Before the rush to lynch you :D I'd point out that it does translate the actual play graphically as well as it's able to but I certainly treat the 3D view as screen candy tbh, I find the 2D useful in tracking off the ball movement and such but my main tool is stats.

Well, im old school, I was playing CM01/02 for years, no fancy graphics there!

I havent tried the 2d actually , I must give that a shot.

Well, im old school, I was playing CM01/02 for years, no fancy graphics there!

I havent tried the 2d actually , I must give that a shot.

I don't think we're rare birds by any means;) perhaps we have better powers of imgination than these yunkers? :D

I think the game can be pretty daunting to be honest, the learning curve can be huge and in no way does it cater to casual fans, you have to be ready for an in depth experience and take time to learn all aspects. As for tactics, its not that difficult if you accept that you're not going to replicate Barcelona or get away with having 6 players attacking at one time. Simple is better to begin with. Accept that you might have all the possession in some games but you won't in all, possession does not always mean better/more chances created.

I've got 2 saves ongoing, 1 with Ajax using youth players and tutors and another with Southampton where I finished 5th in season 1 and won the EPL in season 2. Started off with a simple 4-5-1 tactic in Season 1, 2 DMs, 1 CM and 2 Wide Midfielders getting forward to support 1 striker. Only had 2 players with attacking mentality, 3 with support and the other 6 with defend. Using shouts and opposition instructions I planned to restrict those teams better than me and exploit those of equal or lesser standing. Never won spectacularly but had my fair share of good wins and well earned draws as well as defeats that finished with my players all gaining confidence in their performances. Only needed 3 new signings to help with it, 1 dominant CB (Tomkins), 1 creative CM (Ekdal) and another RB (Flannigan on loan from Liverpool) to challenge Clyne.

Once you've got the basics of your formation you build from there. My 4-5-1 has now developed into 1 winger and 1 inside forward, 2 CMs and 1 DM as I now think my players have developed enough to support it and thrive on it. The big clubs (apart from Spurs...grr) all change their approach when coming to St Marys now rather than playing their normal game and making me counter and the smaller clubs all attempt to shut up shop, just like I did in the beginning.

This didn't come easily however, i've started a few saves previously that didn't work out so well as I wanted to do too much too quickly and expected that I knew everything from FM12 and that it would work here. It doesn't, new ME, new issues and new ways to play.

Morale of story......keep playing, keep it simple, prosper.

FMC caters pretty well for casual fans tbh Gary, I think people get daunted by the "expert" hardcore players on here quite a lot ;)

Fact is that playing FMC and using some pretty basic logic you can do very well at the game without getting immersed in all the complex stuff which is (seems) so important in the full game.

In my first season as west ham I was trying to get involved as much as I could , I ended up relegated from the EPL and was feeling a bit disheartened.

After losing some of my players , I then started off even worse in the championship - league 1 was a reality.

So I just relaxed a bit and went to a 442, loaned a few good players, skipped the team talks completely and started to ignore what my coaches were telling me.

I ended up top half - I was actually scoring goals for a change!

Next season will be tough as Im going to have to rely on the players that are left with some of my youth academy (plus a few loans) with no transfer budget.

but the relaxed approach certainly seems to work better for me

FMC caters pretty well for casual fans tbh Gary, I think people get daunted by the "expert" hardcore players on here quite a lot ;)

Fact is that playing FMC and using some pretty basic logic you can do very well at the game without getting immersed in all the complex stuff which is (seems) so important in the full game.

I see what you're saying Kriss, but FMC (which i've only loaded up once so far) still has the same tactics board with the difference roles each player could play and the mentality etc. Yes it removes opposition instructions and a lot of the little things but I still feel that its the roles/choices that most people are stuck with at times. The 12 point plan in the tactics forum is invaluable for this I think. Really should be linked in every forum for people wanting assistance.

Tbh I never really liked 3d, still don't. I have always used my imagination and enjoy the sensation of commentary highlights. So my eventual goal once my tactic is sorted is to switch to commentary and then enjoy the highlights of the goals when they come. The game isn't hard, people often make it harder than it needs to be. A good dose of common sense and a willingness to admit that perhaps you may get things wrong is vital if you want to enjoy the game. I got a side promoted to from the BSN to the Premiership in consecutive seasons, and then hit a wall once i got to the premiership. It took me a few seasons of playing to survive, before I had the squad to go hammer the Manchesters of the world.

It can be very disheartening if you come in with pre-conceived notions of how the game of football should be played. Common sense will always prevail, if a team is attacking you outright and you decide to slugfest them chances are you could lose, you could win, the challenge is knowing why you won or lost. Once you figure that out, the luck factor goes away and then you are on easy street.

I haven't used Opposition Instructions nor have I used shouts this whole season. I have used one formation the whole season lost 3 times, got bundled out of the league cup, won the premiership with 3 games to spare and hammered Manchester City 5-1 in the all important champions league final. So can you play this game without switching tactics, yes. Can you play it without shouts, do you need to create some magical tactic from the custom tactic creator no. Just find the right players, get yourself a logical system, train right and off you go on commentary highlights.

Case in point, a game played entirely on commentary..in fact the whole season has been, so is this version harder no..its going to be a lot easier once people figure things out:

[video=youtube;-oXnp8mXxn8]

Hi all,

First post!

I've come here in desperation as I'm feeling so frustrated playing FM13. I find it incredibly difficult compared to FM12 and often just can't see why I'm doing badly. Any time I threaten to do well I seem to have a bizarre downturn in form.

It is incredibly tough, imo, to do consistently well in this version. And when the inevitable mid season slump hits it seems nearly impossible to stop. I've been sacked three times in this version, which is nearly more than in total in my previous 17 years of laying champman/fm.

Archived