Does anyone else find stadiums in FM to be very bland and generic?

None of them seem to have a distinguishing features that let you recognise a ground. They are all the same.

Yes I know about certain companies having certain rights but it doesn't stop creative thinking especially for NEW stadiums that don't actually exist in real life.

Oh and why is the manager (ME) not in the dug out? When he gives out shouts he should be screaming his head off in the technical area. :D

I thought this year the stadiums were supposed to have been updated to look more different and better but for me one looks much the same as another . The only way i can tell if we are playing home or away is the fans shirt colours usually .

What is disappointing for me is the lack of movement from the fans in the stadium on the far side . They hardly ever look as if they are awake never mind supporting their team .

I would now much rather SI made it so we could scroll a lot closer to the pitch and see the players a lot larger than waste so much of the screen with the stadium and especially in lower leagues the pointless buildings outside the ground

I understand that it might not be possible for licensing reasons, but I hope that data researchers in future FMs might be able to assign some visual values to each stadium, e.g. having a running track (Stadio Olimpico in Rome), a bowl-type, circular stadium (Old Trafford), a stadium with rectangular stands (Anfield), a stadium which has a gap in the corners (Villa Park). This way stadiums would somewhat approximate their real-life counterparts without infringing on licensing arrangements and copyright.

For all I know, this might be in place already, mind you, just not visible with the pre-game editor.

I would love the ability to zoom out slightly, even just to see the shape of your stadium.

This would be best for a team that rises up through the leagues, you could see your stadium take shape.

I wouldn't care if it wasn't 100% the real life stadium, or if beyond the stadium was just a big blue expanse, I just want to see the shape of the stadium!

I think the whole match day experience could be improved as far as making it a spectacle and making it enjoyable to watch. It has improved year on year in my opinion and I think that SI will continue, quite rightly, to focus on more important areas of the game. I for one would sacrifice the stadium, benches, fans, camera crews etc for a ME that blows me away. The manager in the dug out suggestion is the one I would love to see. Tracksuit or Armani suit, calm and Sven like, a raging Sam Allardyce, an animated Martin O'Neill type. Characteristics we could choose at the start or maybe even characteristics that would develop and be reflected from our media handling style. Being able to put a bit more of our personality into our FM alter egos would be great.

I gotta agree, even wireframe models incorporated into the game would be cool. I find the 3D rendering of stadia in the game a total waste of time. I haven't enjoyed them over the years, and tbh its the one thing that hasn't really evolved with the game. Playing the ECC final seems the same regardless of which 40k stadium I am in.

I'd like them to make it more customised, post number 4 exactly what I would like. I'd also like the running track and possibly a few others be an editor option and have an effect on the game. For example, a team with a running track will warm up subs more efficiently causing them to player ever so slightly better and ever so slightly less likely to pick up an injury as well as add value when selling a stadium.

+1 for more variation and personality here. I'd like at least fields in the editor where we could select different styles of stadium (bowl, rectangular, etc.) and style of stand (number of tiers, terraced or seating, condition, all that) so that we at least could customise them ourselves.

This info could then be incorporated in to realistic stadium expansions also.

+1 for more variation and personality here. I'd like at least fields in the editor where we could select different styles of stadium (bowl, rectangular, etc.) and style of stand (number of tiers, terraced or seating, condition, all that) so that we at least could customise them ourselves.

This info could then be incorporated in to realistic stadium expansions also.

Yes, and to choose the club colours.

I understand that it might not be possible for licensing reasons, but I hope that data researchers in future FMs might be able to assign some visual values to each stadium, e.g. having a running track (Stadio Olimpico in Rome), a bowl-type, circular stadium (Old Trafford), a stadium with rectangular stands (Anfield), a stadium which has a gap in the corners (Villa Park). This way stadiums would somewhat approximate their real-life counterparts without infringing on licensing arrangements and copyright.

For all I know, this might be in place already, mind you, just not visible with the pre-game editor.

Yes definitely, very disappointed there are no rounded-end or running track stadia in particular. It would surely only be a small graphical adjustment to have these different basic types included in the game and make the matchday experience more realistic and less repetitive. I did a bit of research, these days most grounds are closed rectangles but heres a list of running tracks still in use (obviously there are more out there):

Split

Rome

Sofia – National

Bratislava - Inter

Verona

Minsk

San Sebastian

Barcelona – Olympic

Skopje

Sarajevo

Volgograd

Baku – Olympic

Bursa

Belgrade – Red Star

Naples

Nuremberg

Yokohama

Hiroshima

Osaka – Expo

Kawasaki

Niigata

Kazan – old

Coimbra

Karlsruhe

Kryvyi Rih

Sofia – Gerena (Levski)

Lisbon – Nacional

Metalist Kharkiv

Yerevan – Hrazdan

Tblisi

Vladikavkaz

Padua

Las Palmas

Donetsk – Central

Timisoara

Lviv

Craiova

Thessalloniki - Iraklis

Baku – Bahramov

Poltava

St. Petersburg – Petrovsky

Belgrade – Partizan

Paris – Stade de France

Brussels – Roi Baduoin

Moscow – Luzhniki

Udine

Sevilla – Cartuja

Palma de Mallorca

Almeria

Tokyo – Ajinomoto

Tokyo – National

Kyoto

Buenos Aires – Monumental

Durban

Salvador

Wellington

Melbourne – Docklands

Gwangju

Riyadh

Cairo

Abuja

Tehran

Algiers

Maputo

Casablanca

Berlin – Olympia

Libreville

Helsinki - Olympia

Oran

Maracaibo

Caracas

Vienna

Athens – Olympic

Osaka – Nagai

Oita

Sao Paulo - Morumbi

Busan

Daegu

Seongnam

Izmir

Tunis -Rades

Tunis – El Menzah

Budapest – Puskas

Lima – Nacional

Cordoba – Kempes

Puerto Ordaz

Merida

Barranquilla

Bogota

Cali

Medellin

La Paz

Quito - Atahualpa

Zurich – Hardturm

Istanbul – Ataturk

Santiago – Nacional

Recife – Santa Cruz

Rio – Olimpico

Porto Alegre – Olimpico

heres some grounds that have rounded or oval ends:

Toulouse

Nantes

Palermo

Florence

Bologna

Derry

Sapporo

Nagoya

Montevideo

Sydney - ANZ

Mendoza

Tel Aviv – Ramat Gan

Thessalloniki - PAOK

Turin – Olimpico

Brescia

Belfast - Glentoran

Vigo

Manchester - Ethiad

Paris – Parc des Princes

Glasgow – Hampden

Trabzon – old

Urawa

Rio – Maracana

Belo Horizonte – Minerao

Porto Alegre – Beira-Rio

La Plata

Cusco

Asuncion - Rojas

Buenos Aires – Huracan

Avellaneda – Peron

Sao Paulo – Palmeiras New

and heres a few (mostly very modern) where the end stands are some distance from the goal:

Yerevan – Republican

Amsterdam

Warsaw

Stuttgart

Cardiff – Millennium

Lyon

London – Wembley

Johannesburg

Hull

Washington DC – RFK

Seattle

Portland

London – Emirates

Glasgow – Celtic

Bucharest – National

Kobe

Sendai

Central Coast

Sydney – SFS

Quito – LDU

Buenos Aires – San Lorenzo

Seville - Villamarin

Guimaraes

Madrid – Calderon

Murrayfield

Dublin – Aviva

Klagenfurt

Valladolid

Belfast – Linfield

Wolfsburg

Kazan – new

Lisbon – Benfica

Porto – Dragao

Barcelona – Camp Nou

Tosu

Kasima

Brisbane – Suncorp

Incheon

Jeju

Jeonju

Suwon

Mexico – Azteca

Hannover

Asuncion – Chaco

Guayaquil

Leverkusen

So quite a few of each! many big teams and national teams included! Surely these 3 categories could be considered for use in future versions??

I just don't see it as being that important. If there was literally nothing else on the plate, I imagine SI would attempt it, but there's just so much more I'd rather see fixed/added. One thing they could do is try and open it up to the community like they have with skins etc. Although how easy that would be with the 3D models I don't know.

One other thing that puts me off it is playing a game where there are lifelike stadiums - FIFA. How often do I look at the stadiums themselves? Very little. Thousands of hours of work probably went into making them look like their real life counterparts, but all they get is a glance during a game.

I just don't see it as being that important. If there was literally nothing else on the plate, I imagine SI would attempt it, but there's just so much more I'd rather see fixed/added. One thing they could do is try and open it up to the community like they have with skins etc. Although how easy that would be with the 3D models I don't know.

One other thing that puts me off it is playing a game where there are lifelike stadiums - FIFA. How often do I look at the stadiums themselves? Very little. Thousands of hours of work probably went into making them look like their real life counterparts, but all they get is a glance during a game.

The stadia are aesthetics. The main problems with the game are the ME and some of the bugs in-game. I'm sure they gave an animation team that could work on this, although, having said that I think the 3D animations require more work than the stadia.

I agree with you that it's not really that important. However, there's already different types of stadiums in the game and so the setup is in place already. Instead of the game randomly deciding what type of stadium each one looks like, they will have database entries assigned to them already.

That would not be SI's job, but the data researchers'. Furthermore, having that data as changeable in the editor would also ensure that any stadiums whose entries were not input by the researcher can be modified by the many editors on these forums and released as a separate file to enhance the realism.

I won't say there aren't more pressing matters for SI or that this would not take some time, but I really don't think my proposal's as hard to implement as you make it out to be. I'm sure it's everyone's wish, from us punters' to SI's, that this game mimics reality as much as possible and I think this would defintely aid that aim.

I agree with you that it's not really that important. However, there's already different types of stadiums in the game and so the setup is in place already. Instead of the game randomly deciding what type of stadium each one looks like, they will have database entries assigned to them already.

That would not be SI's job, but the data researchers'. Furthermore, having that data as changeable in the editor would also ensure that any stadiums whose entries were not input by the researcher can be modified by the many editors on these forums and released as a separate file to enhance the realism.

I won't say there aren't more pressing matters for SI or that this would not take some time, but I really don't think my proposal's as hard to implement as you make it out to be. I'm sure it's everyone's wish, from us punters' to SI's, that this game mimics reality as much as possible and I think this would defintely aid that aim.

I didn't say it would be hard. I imagine a few weeks work to get it working and working properly. I just don't think it's that important for the superficial benefits it would bring. There's more pressing things to have mimic reality.

Yeah I also agree its not important, but its also not difficult and (for some users at least) would liven up the matchday experience a bit. I dont want a Rome derby in a square stadium, obviously yoou can look past it and concentrate on the game itself but nice to have that (big ugly) stadium recreated in a basic way.

It also wouldn't be that difficult to make it an editable feature, either pre-game or by skinning, so fans could add stadium bits if it took their fancy. If SI can't be bothered doing more to the stadia themselves (tho they did add nearby buildings etc? Who cares about that aspect??) it would be good if they could open up the coding so the many talented and generous graphic folk on here could create their own and share them with others who are interested in that.

Archived