Attacking Corners - Attack from Deep

Hi all tacticians and top managers !

Please i would like a real explanation of what this is or what it is really. In the game its says " The player will look to attack the ball from the edge of the area when the team has a corner kick.

Now my thoughts are that isnt this quite similar to Lurks Outside area " the player will lurk outstide the area looking for loose balls when the team has a corner kick.

I have a relative idea that both corner position require a player with good long shot and anticipation, but my query is what player plays in the attack from deep positioning. it something i still find a bit weird but if anyone could tell me what this is exactly ill very much appreciate it.

Hi all tacticians and top managers !

Please i would like a real explanation of what this is or what it is really. In the game its says " The player will look to attack the ball from the edge of the area when the team has a corner kick.

Now my thoughts are that isnt this quite similar to Lurks Outside area " the player will lurk outstide the area looking for loose balls when the team has a corner kick.

I have a relative idea that both corner position require a player with good long shot and anticipation, but my query is what player plays in the attack from deep positioning. it something i still find a bit weird but if anyone could tell me what this is exactly ill very much appreciate it.

I'm pretty sure that the lurker just sits deep to either get the corner, a pass, or an attempted clearance. The attack from deep, I believe, refers to a player who would get a run at the ball - from the edge of the box - basically trying to nail a powerful header on the run. You really wouldn't need a long shot, just good strength/heading/jumping and pace/acceleration wouldn't hurt either.

In my opinion, these are the things that you want to be looking for in the corner roles:

Attack from Deep

• Acceleration: To get that little extra space by losing their marker
  • Anticipation: To ensure that know where and when to run
  • Bravery: To ensure that they are not scared to get up and challenge (or on the ground)
  • Jumping: Self explanatory
  • Heading: Self explanatory
  • Strength: Allows them to push others off the ball
  • Balance: In conjunction with strength, stops others pushing them around

The point behind using "attack from deep" is twofold:

1. You're player is expected to beat their marker to the ball. This can be through sheer strength, clever movement or through acceleration. So you 'might' not need all of the above skills, but if you do then you have some nice options
  2. You want a man forward BUT your main goal to drag a defender out of position. If you do not want your man to get up for a challenge then you could simply look for someone that is decent on the ground for any rebounds, but I tend not to go for this.

Lurk

• First Touch: This is a must, they have to get the ball under control immediately.
  • Decisions: They will have a lot of options if they are the receiver of the corner. They can pass back to the taker, into the box or shoot
  • Passing: For the above
  • Creative: To see all options
  • Technique: Equally important for longshots or passes
  • Long Shot: Self explanator
  • Agility: Depending on the accuracy of your corner taker, you might need agilty for your Lurker to make quick adjustments to their positioning

The lurker will try to put himself into on the edge of the box in front of the goal when you take a corner. The likelihood of him attacking the goal if a corner breaks down depends on his normal role. If you perhaps have an AMC there, he might move into the box, if it's a DM, he will likely drop deep.

Choosing the corner option of "edge of box" should see your take try to pass to the Lurker, though be aware, if you do this in a game the opposition are likely to change their marking strategy so you might want to start the game with this, let them move a marker out and then change corner strategy. (CHANGING CORNER STRATEGY DURING GAMES CAN BE FUN).

BE AWARE, if you have turned off longshots on all your players, your lurker is unlikely to shoot, unless he has the PPM for it. So, you really need to decide who to put in this role and how you want them to play overall. If you have longshots on so they will attempt them, then expect them to attempt them during the game too.............

Just on a seperate note, many people choose to put one of their tallest and strongest DC's to mark the keeper. Unless you are planning on this player making attempts at goal, it is a bit of a waste in my view. You only really need someone with Strength and Balance to challenge the keeper.

LAM

@LAM, I pick lurkers on the same basis. However, I wonder if a physical player would be useful too, in situations where the ball gets cleared and he may be required to win it back or head it back into the area as opposed to bringing it down and having a long shot.

@IAM, for the attack from deep, I'd suggest including "Aggression" in there as well, as they have to want to get to that ball first, given they are starting from an unfavourable position.

In more general terms, I think this set-up might suit a team that didn't have a lot of height.

Archived