Sole Striker Blues

Hi Peeps

I’m after a bit of advice on how to play with a lone striker.

I like to playing attacking style, direct football and my formation is usually flat back four (don’t touch any roles on these), two ball-winning midfielders in CM positions (one def, one support), two wingers (att), an advanced playmaker (free role, support) and a poacher up front.

The problem is my “poacher” isn’t working well with my other players. He seems to be getting low average ratings (5.9 – 6.2) no matter who I play in that role and very rarely scores. Most of my goals are coming from my BWM’s!!

So can I ask what role do you choose a lone striker to play as and why? Also what supporting roles do you give the players around him?

Thanks in advance

Super Jack

When playing with a lone striker I find the role to be less important than who I choose to play there, I've come across plenty of players who look good but only seem to produce the goods when they have a strike partner, I'd just start looking for a new striker.

I'm sure there are a couple of threads on this sort of thing in the tactics forum.

Personally, I don't like a poacher up front on his own, too isolated. I play a DLF on support so he can drop deep and get involved in play. Behind him I play an IF (a) at AML, an AM (a) at AMC and a W (a) at AMR. Having all these three on attacking duty means they will all get forward to support the striker or exploit the space left behind when he drops deep and takes a defender with him.

Interesting set up Kenco. I seem to have a real problem creating asymmetrical formations. I think it may be OCD :confused:

Does a DLF make many forward runs? Where do most of your goals come from?

Also Barside. Do you play a 4-4-2 when playing with two strikers?

Thanks. The DLF with IF combo is intriguing me.

Finally, Lilsaint you mentioned you lost control with BWM. What roles do people play in CM? for some reason my mind sees leaving them as CM's will end in disaster as it's the "default" role. Perhaps i'm trying to be too clever for my own good.

DLP & CM in support roles, it's important to get the central midfield position right & you should never try to shoehorn a player into a role that he is not capable of performing.

bit confused with people above stating a poacher as a lone striker doesn't work well. I've played in that setup from the beginning & had little or no problems with it.

Especially when you set him up as on the link i've provided, he will drop deeper & dive into spaces when needed

a lot depends on what striker you have & knowing his limitations ofcourse..

to answer your question as to what roles i use for midfield:

i'm not 100% sure what the exact names are in english (as i play the game in dutch)

but i put 1 defensive midfielder in front of defence on role 'playmaker in front of defence' (unsure if that's the same as DLP?) on support

2 central midfielders, usually both just CM, one attacking and one support

although i should say i've adapted these roles to what best fits the capabilities of my starting XI.

maybe 'losing control' wasn't the best way to describe my experiences with BWM's, i just found i created less chances. But that may very well be just my personal view

If you play a poacher on his own, as I do, it's imperative you get players forward to offer him support, as his role won't allow him to create much off his own back. For that reason, I play my 'wingers' as inside forwards, so they cut inside and offer an attacking threat. Seems to work for me

Interesting set up Kenco. I seem to have a real problem creating asymmetrical formations. I think it may be OCD :confused:

Does a DLF make many forward runs? Where do most of your goals come from?

Also Barside. Do you play a 4-4-2 when playing with two strikers?

I think it gives the opposition more problems than a symmetrical attack would. My 2 MCs are both DLPs, left on defend and right on support. The left one then stays back as the AML is cutting into the space in front of him, whilst the right one gets forward a bit more, into the space between the AMC and AMR who generally stays out wide.

My DLF does still get forward and is my main goalscorer. It helps that I have Jovetic and Suarez in rotation for the role. Jovetic scored 28 in 31 league games last season. My AML is probably the 2nd best scoring position, often cutting inside and taking shots on his preferred right foot. AMR and AMC also get quite a few.

From all the above answers to my question the DLP seems a constant throughout. I'm playing as Crystal Palace at present so i have an abundance of defensive-minded midfielders to choose from. I think if i play a DLP in a defensive role with maybe a CM support role it will be create the fluid transition from Mid to Att that i've been lacking.

I'm really liking the idea of playing Zaha as my IF with Murray as DLF. I think i've just got to stop thinking so symetrically. Old-fashioned 4-4-2 mind set if sometimes hard to break!

i'm always use a lone striker, because i feel that i lose control of the midfield if i dont have 3 in there. the team i have dictates whether i use a dmc or amc. right now im with bilbao and using a 34 yr old llorente and he's banging them in, including 2 in a 3-2 win over barca. you do need the right striker for that role though...

From all the above answers to my question the DLP seems a constant throughout. I'm playing as Crystal Palace at present so i have an abundance of defensive-minded midfielders to choose from. I think if i play a DLP in a defensive role with maybe a CM support role it will be create the fluid transition from Mid to Att that i've been lacking.

I'm really liking the idea of playing Zaha as my IF with Murray as DLF. I think i've just got to stop thinking so symetrically. Old-fashioned 4-4-2 mind set if sometimes hard to break!

With 2 in the M strata and 3 in the AM strata, I'd say it's vital that one of your MCs is on defend to offer a little more protection to your defence. The other being on support is my personal preference so there is a little more fluidity.

You may also want to have your DL on an attacking duty and making sure he stays out wide, overlapping the IF as he cuts in and providing that extra man in a wide position. The MCL set on defend duty will help to cover his marauding runs so although not symmetrical it does have good balance.

With 2 in the M strata and 3 in the AM strata, I'd say it's vital that one of your MCs is on defend to offer a little more protection to your defence. The other being on support is my personal preference so there is a little more fluidity.

You may also want to have your DL on an attacking duty and making sure he stays out wide, overlapping the IF as he cuts in and providing that extra man in a wide position. The MCL set on defend duty will help to cover his marauding runs so although not symmetrical it does have good balance.

Cracking idea on the Att FB. Parr/Moxey would fit the role perfectly. Just to clarify, if i play the DLP(def) the same side as the Att FB would this still give the same amount of cover as say, a CM(def) on that side? If not i would have to swap the DLP to support and CM as def.

im playing 4-3-3 (anchor man - advance playmaker attack and deep lying playmaker or box to box - two wingers attack - poacher) and im fairly succesful, but i always make sure that my poacher of choice have decent headers (decent, they dont have to be brilliant) and im happy with the way they play, usually my poacher is my top goalscorer easily, if he's not, then i'm selling him and getting a new one :)

i play a 433 (four defenders, 1 DM, 2 CM, 2 advanced Wingers and 1 striker) like Liverpool used to play in real life.

Suarez is the main striker as a Complete Forward.

when he got injured, i had to play Sturridge up front on his own as a poucher and he did fairly well. more assists than goals, mind.

now Suarez is back, he's an inside forward on the left with sturridge a poacher up front.

working really well.

When I play with a lone striker, it tends to be a big physical one. I set him to target man - support and have great success. He plays with his back to goal and looks to bring the wingers into the play, and also gets on the end of crosses and makes good forward runs.

When I play with a lone striker, it tends to be a big physical one. I set him to target man - support and have great success. He plays with his back to goal and looks to bring the wingers into the play, and also gets on the end of crosses and makes good forward runs.

i've had moderate success with this tactic, so its a good shout.

i had a 6foot4 winger that could also play as a Deep Lying Forward (Support). putting him in that position when giving Suarez a rest, would give me a different dimension to my play, allowing space for my wingers to cut inside and pounce on any loose balls.

I've just started a new game with a tactic that i've constructed from all your tips and..............WOW!

The asymmetrical roles are doing wonders! Attacking play is building up far more fluidly and everyone is chipping in with goals. Also the DLF's role name is deceiving as he's making far more darting runs than my poacher ever did.

I can't thank all of you enough. Special thanks to Kenco though. You've broken my OCD for tactical symmetry :lol:

Archived