Stopping the first shot on target

I have to ask for some help with something that is really bugging me, and seems to be an ongoing issue. I nearly always concede a goal to the first shot on target.

This has happened to me now in the last SIX straight games! I've won the last two 4-1 and 3-1 (This game, the first SOT was when I was 3-0 up!), but in both cases, conceded to the first goal, and I lost a couple before that, conceding to the first goal.

I tend to set up the team the way I want them to go and play from the start with the shouts etc, but this just keeps coming back

Any thoughts....

i'm getting it too with rangers starting to annoy me quite a bit %60 + posession 12 shots 5-6 on target then BOOOOOOOM they go 1 nil up first shot on target haven't had it 8 games in a row though.

should provide more info mate who you're playing as tactics ect if you are seriously expecting any help from anyone i mean you could be playing 0-0-10 for all we know and then there's your problem

Given the number of goals you're scoring, and the kind of domination you're suggesting (and yes I know it seems unrealistic it happens so frequently), on first sight it seems that you may just be a bit top heavy. It takes a big commitment to consistently dominate teams in terms of chances created and I do feel your pain, but what you have to ask yourself is, with so many people committed forward what kind of holes are you leaving at the back? What kind of chance, no matter how infrequent, are they being given?

The good thing is at least you're scoring Justin, all you have to think about now is how to give yourself some cover without ruining that. For examples like FM here where he's dominating at 0-0 I'd seriously review the types of shots on target and on goal he's getting. Are we talking constantly missing blates 6 yards sitters or getting 5 or so tame distance shots on target?

I'll give a real life example (as a coventry fan). Recently we played Crewe in the 1st leg of the FA Trophy North Final at the Ricoh (home). If I remember rightly we dominated possession in much the same way, had roughly 20 shots on goal and I believe 11 on target. Crewe had 4 shots on goal, 3 on target and went on to win 3-0. BBC news reported that Crewe won the game comfortably, the reason being that they had created 3 decent chances. Coventry meanwhile probably had 1/2 decent attempts, the rest were tame because Crewe defending well and forced a frustrated attacking force into range efforts and snatched chances.

This may not apply to either of you specifically but well worth thinking about.

Archived