Really Struggling to Improve Tactics

Ok, So I've recently started a new save with QPR and I'm really struggling to improve my tactics. I am currently playing a 4-2-3-1 (2 CM's, 2 wingers, 1 CAM) but no matter what I do I don't seem to be able to improve anything. I draw a hell of a lot of games and usually have very low scoring games. Most of my goals both scored and conceded come from set pieces. From reading another guide on here (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332585-How-to-Play-FM13-A-Twelve-Step-Guide) I read that "Unless you are 100% sure you know what each and every slider does and how they interact, abandon them. Don't manually tweak a single setting. Embrace the TC (at least in the short term)". The problem is no matter what I tweak I don't see any improvements because I'm not understanding what the effect of each thing I'm tweaking is. Everything I do seems to be real trial and error and I'm not actually realising how to fix a specific problem within a tactic. I was wondering is there a link somebody has that explains each role and duty really clearly and also how everyone else develops there tactics. Any help would be appreciated.

Archived