Our own success catching up on us. Does this happen to everyone?

So here is the picture. I manage Marseille in France and after a shaky four seasons winning nothing start to get some success, league titles, super cups, league cups and so on. After 5 league titles in 6 year and 3 back to back champions league victories our reputation rockets and we go third in Europe. Then the coming season we lose the French super cup but then win/draw 40 games in a row. During that time we are cruising and rocking the world, however one small thing is going wrong in my eyes. My star striker isn't scoring as many as he should and I think I know why. Two reasons are behind this I think.

1) he has now been noted by teams so they focus on him

2) his confidence has had an affect due to him becoming captain of Italy at 22.

So they we lose to PSG then Tottenham the week after, 2 losses in 3 matches after 40 unbeaten. Now suddenly my Strikers are playing terribly, my defense is shaky and we are falling, this season will get away from us and I think its as we are now popular.

Does this happen to other people and if so, how do I stop this before its too late? Cheers for any advice.

Could just be a random wobble, I've seen this often when I'm doing well. The problem is I've noticed players on FM can be a bit streaky, by which I mean one bad result can knock their morale badly enough to cause a bad performance in the next game regardless of general form. This can cause random runs of poor results, but equally I've found that one good result puts everyone's confidence back up and you're battering everyone again. Funny old game...

I realise this isn't really of any practical use for your problem, I'm just musing.

It is realistic, in a sense. The last time Arsenal won anything was the season after they went unbeaten.

Have you tried a team meeting maybe? Speaking to the players in question privately? Possibly bringing in another experienced head or two?

Archived