Teamtalk - Is it all about the green??

Hi Guys

My question is quite simple. Is teamtalks all about getting "green" reactions? I´starting to think it is. IMO the largest number of positive reactions would equal the best choice. But i´m unsure if something else is going on underneath it all. Maybe something with far more longterm consequences?

It's to do with players' personalities and also how many times you say a certain thing, if you/I or anyone uses the same team talk in the same tone players tend to 'switch off' so mixing it up is important, obviously there will be more to it but that's just what I have seemed to notice.

I don't think so, in the early days if I praised a good 1st half and got all delighted reactions more often than not the team would proceed to have a poor half with complacency becoming evident.

Always demand more if you are on top and encourage if you are under the cosh is my motto.

I always aim to motivate, I'm not here to keep the players happy I'm here to get the maximum from the team.

We have jobs to do and are paid very well.

I tend to give talks based on how the individuals/team played. If im really pissed then i let my team or individuals know it. So for me it's all about paying attention to how individuals play during a game and then making a decision about the team talk approach.

Maybe the red and green should be scrapped then as it's a little misleading. Red would signify wrong, green good. If this isn't he case then maybe it needs looking at as I and many others aim for green no matter what.

I guess this is excactly my point. I can´t se how angry, demotivated etc. og no reation can be a good thing. So not paying so much attentoion to the colours might be the way to go.

I always aim to get the most positive reaction. Don´t believe an angry player is benefitial (I understand the point about the angry guy proving himself).

Maybe the colours should be removed and just have the words then it's up to us as managers to judge if their reaction os positive or negative. Could obviously throw some new responses in from the players but that's for the new features thread.

I just had a match where I was leading at halftime 4-1 against a weak opposition.

Instead of applauding the team for the good performance, I warned them not to get complacent. (I wasn't really worried to loose the game, but I wanted them fired up to shoot even more goals). The result was quite interesting: Half of the squad showed "green" and seemed motivated, the other half went "red" and got confused. I guess this is a very insightful moment into your player's mentality.

In the end, however, the game ended 4-1. No idea, if by applauding the players I might have gotten 1 or 2 more goals.

I just had a match where I was leading at halftime 4-1 against a weak opposition.

Instead of applauding the team for the good performance, I warned them not to get complacent. (I wasn't really worried to loose the game, but I wanted them fired up to shoot even more goals). The result was quite interesting: Half of the squad showed "green" and seemed motivated, the other half went "red" and got confused. I guess this is a very insightful moment into your player's mentality.

In the end, however, the game ended 4-1. No idea, if by applauding the players I might have gotten 1 or 2 more goals.

I don't think don't get complacent is the kind of team talk to give when you want to spur your team into scoring more. And perhaps you can learn something from the way your players reacted but I'd be careful not to learn the wrong lesson. It'd seem to me that the players who reacted positively in fact were the ones that had been taking it easy (or were going to) and that the the players who reacted badly were the ones who had been giving it all (and saw their efforts underappreciated).

Archived