I'm noticing a lack of Killer Balls

Hi all. I have Thiago in the center of my midfield set as APs with no slider changes. Now, the more games I watch (I watch them all on comprehensive) the more I notice any form of Killer Ball by it's complete absence.

Are there any slider changes I could make to possibly increase them? More creative freedom perhaps? A more attacking mentality? Both sliders are very close to the middle.

Don't get me wrong, the guy is playing very well, rarely dropping below 7 and running the midfield with his amazing short passing and one twos in abundance but I'm really wanting to see some amazing through balls to for Hernandez to run onto (he's a poacher set as target man to run on to balls).

You can't look at his settings as separated from formation, other roles and duties or Thiago's PPMs. Maybe he doesn't have situations for that kind of passes or maybe he is Xavi-like player and dictates tempo with short passes - there are many theories but only watching situations/full games gives you solution.

He does like to dictate the tempo also, but I've noticed moments where it certainly seems as if there is a through ball available to Hernandez in acres of space. The sort of paces that would really fit in with the Killer Balls PPM.

I'm seeing loads of killer balls to be honest.

I have a flat midfield 3 with a DLP (D), CM (A) and AP (S). With a central Poacher set the same way as you have, I am scoring more from through balls than any other type of supply. Every one of my CMs has the PPM "Try Killer Balls Often". What PPMs do Hernandez have? Maybe it is his play that is the issue.

I'm seeing loads of killer balls to be honest.

I have a flat midfield 3 with a DLP (D), CM (A) and AP (S). With a central Poacher set the same way as you have, I am scoring more from through balls than any other type of supply. Every one of my CMs has the PPM "Try Killer Balls Often". What PPMs do Hernandez have? Maybe it is his play that is the issue.

He's got likes to beat offside trap, which would really play into killer balls very well indeed, and knock ball passed opponent which is neither here nor there.

The vast majority of my assists come from my wingers at the moment.

Neither player in my other CM role (DLPd) has the killer balls PPM but my young DLP protege will be learning it sometime soon, but he is only 16 at the moment.

@ rashidi1

Watching the matches it really looks like Hernandez is in good positions for receiving these type of passes a lot but Thiago is choosing closer options, I've now got passing on default and Thiago has good decisions.

Basically I'm asking is encouraging a more attacking mind-set or more freedom from Thiago would gain a lot more killer balls....?

Tbh i get too many players in my team trying killer balls, I think I went overboard trying to get my team to play killer balls, when my defenders and fullbacks want to get in on the act thats when i start getting worried. I am pretty sure its a settings thing. You should give details of you tactic screenshots would help.

I think you have to many creative roles in the side for Thiago to attempt them more often. The DLP and DLF won't be helping matters because I guess the DLP/AP/DLF do more actual link up player and small triangle passes between each other. You actually have lack of movement from the midfield to help the cause. In fact the person who should be getting fed the killer balls in this set up is the person you are wanting to do them - the AP. He's the one creating and using space and arriving late. So he should be the one receiving those type of balls imo.

Interesting Cleon, thanks.

The problem is there is that I've tried a number of roles instead of the DLP and DLF and none of them got me anywhere near as good results as the combination I currently use.

I guess in that case my problem is less that I don't get the killer balls, but a lack of understanding of the good play I currently do get....

The more I get into this years FM the more I find that not only do I not know what I'm doing I don't even know what my problems actually are!!

I guess the DLP/AP/DLF do more actual link up player and small triangle passes between each other.

As usual, that's a very interesting and prescient assumption.

I have the same combination of players (roles and duties) and they do combine well (sometimes excessively so), but I also have a CM (A) in my flat midfield three and it is often he who ends up presenting the option of a pass for the DLP and AP to break up the pretty triangles.

Quite often he receives a pass, bursts forward and tries his own killer ball to the forwards.

As usual, that's a very interesting and prescient assumption.

I have the same combination of players (roles and duties) and they do combine well (sometimes excessively so), but I also have a CM (A) in my flat midfield three and it is often he who ends up presenting the option of a pass for the DLP and AP to break up the pretty triangles.

Quite often he receives a pass, bursts forward and tries his own killer ball to the forwards.

I actually favour the CMa for those very reasons :)

Yeah I think they often do PeeKay, there have been opportunities that I have noticed despite that however.

I realize that this isn't what you are all saying, but I think I'll give a CMa and CMd combination for a while to see how it compares to APs and DLPd. Try and take more advantage of Thiago's brilliant attacking attributes.

I got an offer of £18M for Cleverly and couldn't refuse. I don't really like him in real life so I really didn't mind him leaving anyway but he has since done a very good job at Juve... But I digress.

Yeah having CMa and d seems to be working quite nicely, I can't wait to have my key players back from injury to really get it going.

Archived