English (US)

I have been playing in the MLS and recently decided I wanted to make it feel more 'murican so I switch currency to Dollars and language to English US to see the difference, here are some things I have notice so far...

Football = Soccer (Pretty obvious)

Managers = Head coach

Fixtures = Matches (this really annoys me when looking at menus for fixture lists)

Team talks = Pep Talks....this makes me smile, don't know why

I'm American and I can't stand playing with English (US), even for MLS.

That being said, always switch contracts to per anum (instead of p/w...as is standard view of income in US, sports or 'real job').

Interesting thing is in US (across all pro sports) teams have a General Manager (GM) that is equivalent to DoF; hires/fires Head Coach, handles trades (player for cash deals are almost non-existent) and so on, DoF should be GM in English (US).

oh and pitch=field ;)

That being said, always switch contracts to per anum (instead of p/w...as is standard view of income in US, sports or 'real job').

Slightly off topic but in UK English we tend to talk about our own jobs in annual salary, but we always talk about footballer's weekly salary. Not sure why. I guess talking about our own jobs in weekly salary would be too depressing...

Slightly off topic but in UK English we tend to talk about our own jobs in annual salary, but we always talk about footballer's weekly salary. Not sure why. I guess talking about our own jobs in weekly salary would be too depressing...

And to talk about footballers' wages in terms of annual salary would also be too depressing!! ;) A player on £250k per week makes £13 MILLION pounds a year :(

It also gives us the chance to say "he's earns more in a week than I do in a year" whenever we want to have a pop at a player for having a bad game.

Back on topic, is a player sent off or ejected from the game?

Sent off. FM provides an interesting blend of English/American phrasing. I remember the first time I had to answer a press conference question about another manager and thinking, "What the heck does "time" have to do with this?" Wasn't until after the PC that I realized it was asking if I cared for/respected the person.

It also gives us the chance to say "he's earns more in a week than I do in a year" whenever we want to have a pop at a player for having a bad game.

soccer = sent off

every other sport = ejected

mayhaps has to do with that in American football, basketball, baseball, etc...when a player gets ejected his team gets to replace him (ie, not play a man down)

Archived