Any idea what the future of FM12 will be?

Given that it requires a one-use code to activate and tie it to one account permanently, and that it was taken off Steam a while ago, has there been any indication of what will happen in the nearish future?

Will digital codes and new copies just run out and FM12 will cease to exist? After one or two more years will the authentication requirement be removed or officially circumvented and thus allow preowned copies to be played (because no money will be 'lost' on FM 12 in, say, 2014)?

FM 12 still works fine.

Anyone who bought it on Steam will have it on Steam until Steam as a product dies, and then most assume (and Valve have stated) that they would release a patch to make games playable after Steam is shut down. It's very unlikely Steam will shut down anytime in the next decade anyway.

Eventually copies of the game code will run out and it will not be purchasable any more.

Steam does not work for pre-owned games. Once a game is unlocked on a Steam Account it is locked to that account for eternity.

This goes for FM11 as well. I can install it and play it now if I want to.

I'm not sure if this meets your question, but I erased all trace of FM12 a few months ago. Then I decided to go back to it. I'd closed my Steam account and deleted all files in my laptop. Unfortunately I lost my FM12 disk so I thought I was out of luck. But when I loaded up Steam again it had remembered my details and so I could just download the game and fire up a new save. My Steam account also has an older game (I think FM09) in my library, so I'm guessing that FM12 will just sit there for years as newer versions come out.

I can't think of any reason why Sega wouldn't want FM12 to stay on Steam as a possible purchase, unless they want everyone to buy the latest version.

If people want to buy it, it doesn't cost Sega anything except maybe 5 minutes of time in the unlikely event they need to generate a new batch of Keys - unlike a hard copy, where they'd have to press disks.

Likewise, apart from a bit of storage and the bandwidth for the download, it doesn't really cost Steam/Valve anything to keep it available for purchase. It's basically a win/win for both parties.

[EDIT]

And of course, having said that, I can see that it's not on the Store anymore. Anyway, as long as you can access Steam, you can still download and play the game with the latest update.

Hate to seem a dick, but none of these answers were even relevant let alone helpful. -_-

Any retail copy should be fine, since the code inside should still register with Steam.

I doubt anyone will go to the trouble of removing the authentication from an old game, though. While it's true that no money is lost from pre-owned copies, no money is earned, either - so why would they bother coding the authentication out?

Any retail copy should be fine, since the code inside should still register with Steam.

I doubt anyone will go to the trouble of removing the authentication from an old game, though. While it's true that no money is lost from pre-owned copies, no money is earned, either - so why would they bother coding the authentication out?

Well that's why I asked what would happen (assuming it hasn't happened yet) when new copies stop being made.

Archived