Is there a way for an U23 team to get into the Copa America?

In recent years the US plays in Copa America as an invitee, though I think they are going to host a future event.

They traditonally send a 'B' team as their key players are invovled in matches elsewhere.

This is the quote from the USNMT wiki - The team's disappointing Copa América 2007 campaign ended after three defeats in the group stage to Argentina, Paraguay, and Colombia. The decision by U.S. Soccer to field what many considered a second-tier team was questioned by fans and media alike

The US's u23 squad seems to be the game replicating this.

Seems a bit odd for them to use their best players in the Gold Cup and their second string in the Copa America which is miles ahead of the Gold Cup in terms of reputation and difficulty.

I believe that players are required to be made available for the Gold Cup, as it is the region's championship, whereas US players weren't required to be made available for the Copa due to being an invitee. Mexico did the same thing a short time ago and sent a U-23 squad to compete (as did Costa Rica, if I recall correctly.) The two tourny's are held so close together that players would be spending about a month/month and a half on international duty to play in both.

Also, the Gold Cup is means by which CONCACAF teams can enter the Confederation's Cup, so every other Gold Cup (which are held every two years) will see teams put forth their strongest squads. With Mexico winning in 2011 and booking their place in the next Confed Cup, the 2013 Gold Cup will likely see most nations send out B/U-23 squads to give fringe players a better look.

Archived