Has anyone had a long-term game that still has normal International results?

I know things change after a decade or two, but to have Japan, Austria and Poland winning the World Cup and Euros, to have Finland and Lithuania reaching finals, England becoming the worst team in Britain by a long shot (England 0 - 3 Wales for example), to have the likes of Brazil and Germany to suddenly struggle to get out of the group stages regularly, after only two decades, seems a bit much...

...and apparently this usually happens.

I'd be shocked if I saw Japan win the Euros.

:D

But to the OP, you've done well to include the word "apparently" before "this usually happens". I find mostly the opposite. Yes there are sides who shouldn't really go far surprising everyone (Costa Rica made a semi in one World Cup) but for the most part, the winners of the World Cup haven't exactly been earth-shattering.

FIFAWorldCup_HistoryPastWinners_zps08d951c1.png

There you go. Two each for Holland and Italy, and one for Spain, Argentina, Brazil, England and Mexico. The only one from that list that may raise eyebrows is Mexico, but that's not too bad. The Scotland win was managed by myself (as was one of the Italian ones) so I wouldn't count that.

EDIT: and one other thing, as you go far into a save, who is to say that what happens is "unrealistic"? You cite Wales beating England, or them becoming the worst British side. Is it so unbelievable that in 20 years time, that might happen? International football goes in cycles. Look at ten years ago when Spain were struggling to do anything of note on the international stage. In another ten years they'll probably be back to average.

The more burning question though: How did Qatar get to host ANOTHER World Cup? And so soon after the first one too?

They must have paid FIFA a gazillion dollars...

The way that FM works is that they have several nations on a list to be rotated that are eligible to host a World Cup. Every major footballing nation and most ones that have hosted ones in the past or are to in the future are on that list.

The more burning question though: How did Qatar get to host ANOTHER World Cup? And so soon after the first one too?

They must have paid FIFA a gazillion dollars...

That's the only possible way it could have happened!

EDIT: and one other thing, as you go far into a save, who is to say that what happens is "unrealistic"? You cite Wales beating England, or them becoming the worst British side. Is it so unbelievable that in 20 years time, that might happen? International football goes in cycles. Look at ten years ago when Spain were struggling to do anything of note on the international stage. In another ten years they'll probably be back to average.

Well I DID say that I know things change after a decade or two, but to have Japan, Austria and Poland winning the World Cup and Euros, to have Finland and Lithuania reaching finals, England becoming the worst team in Britain by a long shot (England 0 - 3 Wales for example), to have the likes of Brazil and Germany to suddenly struggle to get out of the group stages regularly, after only two decades, seems a bit much.

Do you see all that happening within a 6-year time period at any point in the next couple of decades?

I'd be shocked if I saw Japan win the Euros.

I never said they did. :s

Well I DID say that I know things change after a decade or two, but to have Japan, Austria and Poland winning the World Cup and Euros, to have Finland and Lithuania reaching finals, England becoming the worst team in Britain by a long shot (England 0 - 3 Wales for example), to have the likes of Brazil and Germany to suddenly struggle to get out of the group stages regularly, after only two decades, seems a bit much.

Do you see all that happening within a 6-year time period at any point in the next couple of decades?

I never said they did. :s

Austria and Poland were pretty strong teams in the 70s and 80s, not all that long ago. Japan is an emerging force on the world stage, and I won't be surprised if they achieve great success within the next 20 years or so.

You genuinely won't know. Like someone said, Spain were nowhere 10 years ago. And France today is a pale shadow of the side in the late 90s and early 2000s.

The wording here suggests that all 3 nations have won both tournaments.

Logic suggests Japan is in Asia, so the combination of teams must have won one or the other...

Austria and Poland were pretty strong teams in the 70s and 80s, not all that long ago. Japan is an emerging force on the world stage, and I won't be surprised if they achieve great success within the next 20 years or so.

You genuinely won't know. Like someone said, Spain were nowhere 10 years ago. And France today is a pale shadow of the side in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Japan winning the World Cup, Austria winning 4 years later, Poland beating Lithuania in the final of the Euros 2 years later after both passing big nations Scotland and Austria in the semis, while Brazil and Germany suck, while England become the worst team in Britain including getting wallopped 3-0 by Wales and the two other teams in their group. ALL in the space of 6 years and within the next two decades.

It is fair to say that is a bit much. That's what I said. But even so, it's safe to say this or similar won't happen. There is NO comparison in the past and no reasonable doubt. You are entitled to bring this back up in 2032 if all has come to pass. Until then... c'mon.

I've only played 09 but it doesn't appear that the game is making enough regens to stock all of the world's best club teams. This would apply to national teams too in a proportional manner you would think so that England still puts out 10 times as many quality guys as Japan etc., but maybe they haven't been able to keep the formula perfect on a long enough timeline. Regens seem to be a hit or miss completely thing. There are 20 at any given time who are amazing and then all the rest are so randomly lacking in some category (7 star potential winger whose passing ability must be developed from a rating of 2 even though his creativity is 10) that you can never get them to be a reliable and complete world class player. Too much randomization I think. Regens should follow archetype models then randomize slightly plus/minus from those archetypes. Make 4 or 5 archetypes per position, cannon fodder, low level, good enough to someday be in a top league, good enough to be a star, good enough to develop into a world class player and it should be reflected IN THEIR BEGINNING STATS along with their pa rating. Developing a 2 passing rating up to an acceptable level is not practical. So I guess I am saying I think the problem is the game needs to make more great players.

Archived