How to defend against big target men

In two games I have been outplayed by both Peter Crouch and Grant Holt. I was told they were dangermen so made sure to mark them tightly and tackle them hard on opposition instructions. I also instructed to show wide players onto their weaker foot, and close down creative central midfielders. However even with these special measures they both received man of the match awards and scored 4 goals (2 pen but still frustrating).

I'm not asking for specific help for my tactic, rather I would like to know how YOU deal/would deal with these tall, strong target men. Then hopefully I can apply the advice to my team until I find the right solution for me. Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks.

How do you play your defensive line against them? Are they playing in a 4-4-2 alongside a quick striker in a traditional little and large combination?

If they're playing on their own up top then I'll tend to just push my defensive line up. Players like that don't tend to have the pace to get away from your defence and I'd rather they won headers on my halfway line where I can win the second ball than getting on the end of crosses into the box.

Ah thanks, that's something I didn't think of. I suppose my defensive line was fairly deep which probably helped them. My defence is quite pacey so I should be ok against quick strikers unless there's another tactic that can be used for that?

There was a player called Jesus that was 6'9" playing against my Rangers team. I just pushed up high and he never got a sniff. For faster players I tend to drop deep. Other things I try are pushing wingers into the middle if it is a tall striker or push the wings wide if they are small quick strikers. I'm not very sure what the best plan against (a quick) little and large is.

Marking them tightly is not always a good idea. Against Crouch I set tight marking on OI's to "never" because he is always going to win the aerial challenge, but at least we can clear up the knock-downs a lot easier. Combined with a high line, good pressing, and showing wide men inside, Crouch is much better contained that I did before.

I probably wouldn't set the tackling to hard either. You've already conceded two penalties. You're diving in to risky tackles against players who aren't technically great so may probably give you a good opportunity to take the ball from them anyway.

Archived