As the years roll by......promoted teams struggle!

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd make a thread about this as I haven't seen this being discussed on the forums before. I am currently in the year 2021 with my united save (fm12) and I couldnt help but notice that the teams who got promoted all have less than 10 points after playing 27 games. Their relegated no doubt about it. This got me thinking and I looked at the previous years results to see if there was a pattern and imitadley it wasn't ALWAYS the promoted teams but all the teams that got relegated couldn't compete in the EPL. They were relegated by christmas.

Does anyone else seem to find this? Bottom teams losing the best part of 30 games in a season and ending up on say 18 points in a season. Usually 40 points garuntees safety from relegation, now that would leave you mid table!

Would be interesting to see what you think.

Thanks guys, happy gaming!

I remember a FM12 version where Augsburg went 0-0-34. It isn't that bad now, but yes, the hardest part of FM is to turn bad form around. Maintaining good form is easy. The AI managers obviously experience the same.

As time goes by, the top teams are generally quite good, and the quality of the mid-table teams lags behind a bit but the general quality of regens ensures that they don't drop too far. For Championship level clubs, with little money and low reputation, the drop in quality from the beginning of the game ten years onwards is huge and across the board. It gets worse the farther down the ladder you go, especially when attribute distribution is considered. Top regens are usually well balanced, while lack of potential ability and the right mentality ensures that mid- and low-level players remain precisely as random as they are when they are created. The other type of player these clubs can get is the failed hot prospect, and they are also flawed as a rule.

It gets slightly better once all the real players have retired. They often cling on to absolutely hopeless elderly players with high reputation and high wages. After that, more young regens will get match experience and the general quality increases again... for the top league. On the flip side from 2025 every single player in lower leagues will be seriously flawed and/or no-hopes, rather than players with 11-12 in every attribute and a good attitude but limited potential, as it should be.

Archived