How to get this player to contribute more?

José Javier Briseño

Tactic

So far this season in about 25 games he's scored one goal and made 5 assists, last season in about 40 games he got 6 assists. His only really bad stats are jumping and finishing and I'm playing him in his preferred position (CM - AP).

The 4-2-2-2 tactic has been very successful so I don't want to change it too much. He is currently set as playmaker.

How can I make him get more assists?

1) Why use the AP role and then set him to RFD rarely?

2) What are your team settings?

3) You have a DLF on the same side of the pitch as him. A DLF will also play as a playmaker and he'll be in the space your CM needs to be in to be effective.

Basically the way you have set it up your MC will play as a distributing deep lying playmaker. You don't allow him to play in the space where he can directly assist or score goals.

1. I've changed Run From Deep to sometimes (his dribbling stat was really low when I signed him)

2. Team Instructions are pretty much down the middle on everything.

3. I swapped the two CMs over.

Would it be a good idea to set his duty to Attack instead of Support?

Would it be a good idea to train him in finishing?

1. I've changed Run From Deep to sometimes (his dribbling stat was really low when I signed him)

2. Team Instructions are pretty much down the middle on everything.

3. I swapped the two CMs over.

Would it be a good idea to set his duty to Attack instead of Support?

Would it be a good idea to train him in finishing?

Run from deep has nothing to do with dribbling. It means off the ball runs not carrying the ball.

Changing his duty won't do anything if you have pretty much every slider ticked. You might as well change him to ball winning midfielder on defend, if you keep all your custom settings he'll still play the same. Attack duty on default means RWB often and more attacking mentality.

At a glance i would put him as mcL . Your stL is attack your current mcL is defend so their is a big hole there . Your stR is support same as your Mcr so they will be using the same space. Let Briseño use that space behind the attacking striker. Also your other CM is a dlp so you have two play makers i "think" its best to have just one playmaker.

Personally I think it's more to do with the remaining team setup, assuming you have kept most of their instructions as the default.

YOu only have one player making runs into the box.... the Poacher and you have five players trying to supply him - DLP, Wingerx2, AP(S) and DLP(D).

I'd be looking to turn one of the wingers into an IF(A) and it would most likely be Hazard.

If it were me, I'd switch the two strikers (and their roles around). Have the DLF on the left sitting deep with the DLP behind him sitting deep, then have the poacher in an advanced role on the FCR role pushing up with the AP(S/A) behind him pushing up. On the left wing I'd have Hazard as IF(A) making runs into the box and into space vacated by the DLF. You'll then have two people in the box for your man to pass too.

However, I don't know who your DLP is and unless he is very strong defensively I'd also 'consider' using your star as a DLP(S) with someone that can score drivinb forwards in an MC(A) role.

ALl this should be caveat by the fact that I don't know your team!

*EDIT*

Why on earth have you overwritten most of the instructions? If most of your players are like this you have pretty much stopped shouts working.

What lam said on his edit. Just don't fiddle with the individual settings especially not every single one. I used to do the exact same thing with Fabregas on FM11 because he was hovering around 7.1. It just made him worse. I settled for using him as an MC deep lying playmaker but I initially wanted to use him as an AMC and couldn't get anything out of him.

If I could manage him again in the same Arsenal team I would of played him as an advanced playmaker support in CAM and i'm sure now in hindsight he would of done better on the original settings, not the ones where I fiddled with everything.

Changing his duty won't do anything if you have pretty much every slider ticked. You might as well change him to ball winning midfielder on defend, if you keep all your custom settings he'll still play the same.

This... I cannot stress this enough.

You say that you play him as an attacking playmaker as it is preferred, but given that you overrode almost all individual instructions, he is really no longer playing as an attacking playmaker.

Javier

Lorenzo Crisetig

Jovetic and Hazard are as you would expect, the AMR changes between Ox-Cham, Ben Arfa and James Rodriguez.

In addition to swapping them over, I took all the sliders off and just made a few tweaks (Jovetic is more attacking than a default DLP, the AMR doesn't do as many crosses). I made Crisetig a BWM and gave the AMR attack instead of support.

Briseno has scored a goal and made 5 assists in the last 10 games, but none were in the league. He's getting a higher match rating but is slightly less consistent.

Any thoughts on how I should train him?

My first advice is to use the default player roles. Briseno is fine as AP(s) and Crisetig as DLP(d). But Javier is not suited for Poacher role, because he has low acceleration, plus with another role you can take advantage of his other attributes. For him I would recommend either DLF(a) or even CF(a). Play him on the same side as Winger on support duty and Briseno. Then on the other side have Jovetic, Inside Forward on attack duty and Crisetig. Like this:

------------Jovetic (DLF-s)-----------Javier (CF-a)--------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hazard (IF-a)--------------------------------------Oxlaide (W-s)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

------------Crisetig (DLP-d)----------Briseno (AP-s)-------------

But the problem you have is that both Crisetig and Briseno are players who look best suited to deeper midfield roles - Briseno can even be better as DLP-support actually. And considering that you want to stick with your 4-2-2-2 formation, there is no other way to use them really. The other thing is that you have likes of Hazard, Ben Arfa, Oxlaide and Rodriguez who are all similar and good at cutting in from the wings. I bet they make plenty of assists and goals, right? Or at least they should. The way I see it and considering everything, I think what you should want from Briseno is to help Crisetig win the ball for you in midfield and play it to your front 4 players. Sometimes that may result in a direct assist, but more often it may result in a "hockey assist". Just focus on his ball distribution not so much on his direct assist.

Your other option is to set him up as the Corner Kick taker, if you want more direct assist from him.

EDIT: If you use Ben Arfa or Rodriguez as AMR, set them up as IF-support. Then Briseno can be set as DLP-support.

Archived