How did THIS guy get player of the year

This is extremely weird, this goalkeeper that I had a while back has now been given player of the year. I would have accepted this until I saw his stats this season.

This is the award:

n3ow89.png

and these are his stats:

2i70jld.png

How did this guy manage to win this award, I have two or three contenders for this award that didn't even make the top 3:

O'Hara:

29et8qv.png

Kerr:

2prh8hi.png

and even Hume:

2cpuonc.png

So why did this guy get 1st? and what about the guy who got 2nd as well?

The whole award things seems a bit flawed to me.

Last season, a manager who took Leverkusen to #6 in the league won the "Manager of the year" award. Rafa Benitez took Bayern Munich to the double (league and cup) and was placed third, another manager took Frankfurt to the Europa League title and placed 2nd.

I can understand why you might give the award to a manager who, say, takes a relegation threatened team to place 3 in the league or something, but nothing of this sort happenend here. It's still Leverkusen we are talking about, they were exactly where you would expect them at the end of the season.

His "manager points" were the highest, obviously. Would be nice to know what these points actually are.

The whole award things seems a bit flawed to me.

Last season, a manager who took Leverkusen to #6 in the league won the "Manager of the year" award. Rafa Benitez took Bayern Munich to the double (league and cup) and was placed third, another manager took Frankfurt to the Europa League title and placed 2nd.

I can understand why you might give the award to a manager who, say, takes a relegation threatened team to place 3 in the league or something, but nothing of this sort happenend here. It's still Leverkusen we are talking about, they were exactly where you would expect them at the end of the season.

His "manager points" were the highest, obviously. Would be nice to know what these points actually are.

TOTALLY agree, in the second season i finished 5th with Sunderland and Wolves finished 9th and won no honours yet their manager was manager of the year!!

I came runner up and Man Utd who won the league had fergie come 3rd!! either fix it or get rid of it, it feels like a bit of a lucky dip most years.

I bvelieve with manager of the year, only the league is taken into consideration. So it doesn't matter if you win every cup and the Champions League as well. It only considers the league.

I would assume that only Northern Irish players qualify for this award, so a first team regular at Celtic who is doing okay does not seem to be an odd choice for this award.

The performances of your guys are impressive indeed, but properly the lower reputation of your club (which also affects their personal rep) had a bearing on this.

Overall I feel that awards are much better now. Before the award always went to whoever won the title and left big overachievements with small clubs undervalued.

Like certainly winning the UEL with Frankfurt (actually even qualifying for it) is a bigger task than doing the double with Bayern. Just the Leverkusen thing is indeed odd.

This is exactly as it should be.

Being a regular at a decent league makes you better than someone dominating the horrible domestic league. For example, a Norwegian striker scoring 10 goals in the english premier league has done far, far more than someone scoring 15 goals in the domestic league. Several Norwegians who play in the big leagues have won "X of the year"-awards over those who have dominated the domestic league. Add some decent international appearances to that, and the award is a sure thing.

Archived