Best Previous FM's

I think 12 was perfect. Hopefully with some tuning to the 13 engine FM14 will match it. I went back to FM12 for a while but giving 13 another go now.

12, it has its problems but it is so much better in terms of functionality than 13 at the moment. I don't think there's going to be another patch for 13 now, so it'll never be more than a half-decent effort well below SI Standards in my view.

In simple terms, FM13>FM12>>FM07>FM11>>>FM10>>>>>>>FM09>FM08

IMO.

In less simple terms, FM07 is incredibly fun, but not as good a simulator of football as FM12. Fm13 is a better version of FM12. FM11 was very good but not quite as fun as FM07. FM10 was up and down, success was related mostly to selecting players to "beat" the ME. For example, in the last patch, dribbling skill was highly rewarded, with inside forwards and quick forwards benefiting. Defences couldn't cope with wide players cutting inside. In the first patch, more balanced attacking strategies were rewarded and putting crosses into the box was a viable strategy. My Chelsea team went from having Malouda set up Drogba to Zhirkov setting up Torres as a result of patching.

FM09 was dreadful. FM08 suffered in comparison to FM07 rather than being outright terrible.

• 4 months later...

FM13 because I have been more successful on this version than any other version from the last decade. I have always enjoyed FM and bought them all, but I've had the most success on FM13 by far. For me, FM07-FM11 all merge into one until I see screenshots so I can relate to each game.

My other favourites would also include the very early ones, for nostalgic reasons. I think CM97-98 was my first one and I still have great memories of that.

Also, does anyone know that tune that was played on the intro to that game, or maybe it was the 96-97 version?

I read the other day that the average playtime had gone up for fm2013, so I looked at my own playtime stats on steam for the various titles and have the following:

fm 2010: 531 hrs

fm 2012: 287 hrs

fm 2011: 202 hrs

fm 2013: 198 hrs

I'm fairly certain however that I spent a lot more time in cm2, cm 01/02, cm 02/03.

The problem for me with the current generation of titles is that the game takes so damn long to process compared to older titles, even with some killer hardware. But by the same measure selecting anything less than the full experience gives you, well, less than the full experience.

Archived