Dwells on the Ball

Managing Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga, and they've got relatively decent quality with some really awkward personalities. In particular, the "dwells on the ball" PPM, which no fewer than four of my preferred starting 11 have, including Ivica Olic, my preferred striker, Diego, and Ivan Perisic. Regardless of my tactical set up, what inevitably seems to happen is my players getting bullied off the ball or forced in to making stupid decisions. The most frustrating thing is this PPM seems to contradict their strengths - for example, Olic has the pace and workrate to really be an attacking nuisance (as IRL), yet his lack of technical skill and poor decision making result in him losing possession. Similarly, Diego has the technical skill to really be a driving force both creating and scoring goals, but since he pretty much stops 30 yards from goal and contemplates his day, he gets pushed off, fouled, or scared away by the opposition.

Midway through the season, I'm in fifth place, thanks mostly to a stubborn defense and playing on the counter where the "dwells on the ball", coupled with a more direct style and counterattacking strategy tend to result in the incisive goals from time to time. However, coming up against opponents who sit back or play more aggressively, it's very difficult to build up an attack without possession being squandered. I find myself shouting at the screen as I notice potential key passes that simply never materialize and players losing the ball by simply standing there or just launching silly long shots.

I will not go too much into describing my set up as I use three different formations, the most effective being direct counterattacking 4231, and a potentially tantalizing 32212 with attacking wingbacks. The latter at times tears the classic 442 formations to shreds by overloading the middle, although obviously lacks the width (not helped by PPM's of my wingbacks having them "cut inside". The problem is, any incisiveness simply gets drowned by the dwelling on the ball, and attacks just fade out.

I'm wondering what the board would suggest in this situation. My squad is not deep enough to leave out quality players, but three attacking players by default holding up the ball is just too easy for the AI to crush and subsequently punish.

Normally, having one players (say, an AP) with this PPM can be very effective, but 3, especially my only striker with any pace, is maddening...

My main frustration when playing this year's version is players (pass the ball, pass the ball) holding (pass the ball, pass the ball) onto (pass the ball, pass the ball) the (pass the ball, pass the ball) ball (PASS THE BALL, PASS THE F*****G BALL!!!!!!!) until...

...they've walked straight into the opponent.

Given this normally happens around the half-way line, leaving my very attacking team short at the back, it's particularly fun.

You do realise that a player won't be using dwells on the ball PPM all the time right? You also seem confused about what it does. What you described above isn't what dwells on the ball does, you are describing hold up bal (stops play ppm).

Dwells on the ball means the player is still moving with the ball, he will just take that fraction second longer while he assesses all available options to him before choosing one. Dwells on the ball will not make him stop with the ball and look around. If this is happening in your own game then it is not down to the PPM.

My main frustration when playing this year's version is players (pass the ball, pass the ball) holding (pass the ball, pass the ball) onto (pass the ball, pass the ball) the (pass the ball, pass the ball) ball (PASS THE BALL, PASS THE F*****G BALL!!!!!!!) until...

...they've walked straight into the opponent.

Given this normally happens around the half-way line, leaving my very attacking team short at the back, it's particularly fun.

I'm getting this on my Dortmund save too. But then I realised I had the 'pass to feet' shout on. I utilised 'Pass into space' instead, and I got more through balls. Alot of players run with the ball at defence, but generally don't play obvious through balls.

shouts can be very complicated and takes a while to actually understand them. I'd like this more streamlined and simplified in future.

I have a regen winger with great agility, lightning pace and acceleration, who's got 'dwells on the ball' too.

I upped his dribbling stat now and I regularly enjoy him 'dwelling on the ball'.

Suddenly his acceleration kicks in again and off he goes...

Initially I tried to unlearn the PPM, but this didn't work.

Then I thought, let's make the best of it...

Archived