What does Borussia Dortmundf and Bayern Munich tactic look like?

I was about to start a topic about how to incoperate "gegenpressing" in fm13 in the most efficient way.

So far in my head, you need the players willing to do the work press like a group of piranhas. So attributes like teamwork and work rate is a must. Coupled with stamina, determination and decision. Any thoughts on that?

2nd the kinda formation you have, imo klopp has the optimal formation to create a good first block. He's got a st and three offesive midfielders close to the d-line immediately. And to help them initiate that, in my mind you have to have an aggressive mentality ie attacking to push the whole team. You are gonna be vulnerable to long balls and if they get behind the first pressure they are gonna find much space to exploit.

But then when it comes to philosophy im not sure which of them is best? In my current save im gonna try with balanced, but im kinda convinced in my mind that a very fluid philosophy would work better? Thoughts?

Anyways, that's what's rumbling around in my head so far. Will try to update if i stumble upon something significant!

Bayern is arguably the best team this season in Europe. They just destroy every team each week with the same formation and almost the same team. I wonder what makes their 4-2-3-1 so deadly? Is there some secret or just down to their quality of players? Is it possible to represent it in FM?

Bayern is arguably the best team this season in Europe. They just destroy every team each week with the same formation and almost the same team. I wonder what makes their 4-2-3-1 so deadly? Is there some secret or just down to their quality of players? Is it possible to represent it in FM?

Plenty of reasons, their squad depth and quality is just ridiculous. Their second team could out play most Premier League teams.

The system is a well blended synthesis of the physicality of Real Madrid and the possession play of Barcelona, and can be adapted both to favour more of either dependent on the situation.

They also pressure with an ability that even Barcelona as evidence are struggling to match. Martinez and Sweinsteigger are physical beasts that will work all day, and both are balanced in their skill set, and intelligent, fluent and fluid enough in each others roles, to switch between who is the more offensive and defensive one of the pairing if the other picks up a card, etc... In front of that they have Kroos or Muller, both whom also will run all day, same with the wide men. Bayern even have Robben and Ribbery working. They also have arguably the two of the best fullbacks in all of football, and the fullback position has never been so important, Lahm has been this good for years and Alaba like Alba is the new ultra attacking fullbacks who due to being covered so well by the CM/DM's can be afforded to break in behind teams.

The pressure is also intelligent, they press for goal kicks, then drop deeper after the first wave of pressure has been broken and drop into the defensive shape, and make you try to play through them, which allows them to get the best of both worlds.

The defenders can pass, and Neuer is also an underrated cog in the machine, due to his comfort on the ball they can press really high and due to his anticipation and awareness if they are caught in behind he is usually there to sweep it up. For instance here is:

just ridiculous play! (apologies for the music)

Also like Manchester United, a variety of player types to tackle various teams and situations. Mandzukic, is a complete forward, Gomez a natural goal poacher. Pizarro, a bit of a target man, Muller FW/CAM crossover.

They also won nothing last year, and you can see how much they want the treble they missed last year, this year.

All in All, just a brilliant bunch of multidimentional and varied players put together intelligently with a tactically up to date approach, looking really hungry to make up for their failures in the prior season.

Good question, the best way in my mind to do it, though I haven't tested, and I'm not sure how entirely possible it is to replicate. Would be to play on a balanced philosophy, and control with a pretty high line. And have closing down set to about 75% maybe slightly more. Then play with tactically intelligent players.

It's Bayern players who really make the pressure effective, they know when to switch it on or off.

I don't know if it helps. But, when I get a chance I'll try to set this up myself on FM, its an effective, if actually quite simple tactical idea. It's what most 5/7 aside teams do on a week to week basis (I know mine tries to), when the opponents keeper has the ball on the floor or hands for the restart. If/when the ball has beaten that press, then teams tend to drop deep and try to keep some sort of shape.

The issue is that this type of pressure has to be a whole team thing or there will be space in behind if it is half hearted and you can easily get through it. It is the kind of thing that has to be on or off.

You saw that with Barcelona on Tuesday, their pressure didn't have its usual led from the front nature, with Messi being abit limp, leading to their's being abit half hearted and Bayern then finding ways to cut through the pressure and devastatingly counter attack.

The thing with Bayern is that they don't always pressure high up. At times they drop off and keep the shape so I think it makes more sense to use a Fluid philosophy and more CF with default pressing. The theory is that the players will make the decision, at the time, to either press or stand off due to the high CF and high-ish closing down (Fluid philosophy increases closing down).

Surely then its worth using Balanced so they 'keep the shape' abit more.

But yeah, I think you're probably right about default pressing and letting them make the decision. I know slider adjustment is not currently in vogue, but this may work better with slightly customised set up.

I find myself arguing against the position I held approximately two weeks ago, I was arguing a similar point with Barcelona.

But I'm pretty sure, having been shown the error of my ways that Bayern are fairly rigid/balanced, as all the players stick pretty much to specific roles. They maybe pretty good all round general players but they have specific things to do in the system, which is why the system works.

The Barcelona discussion is in this thread if you want to see it: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/352198-4-2-3-1-need-help-to-strengthen-the-defense

I find myself arguing against the position I held approximately two weeks ago, I was arguing a similar point with Barcelona.

But I'm pretty sure, having been shown the error of my ways that Bayern are fairly rigid/balanced, as all the players stick pretty much to specific roles. They maybe pretty good all round general players but they have specific things to do in the system, which is why the system works.

The Barcelona discussion is in this thread if you want to see it: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/352198-4-2-3-1-need-help-to-strengthen-the-defense

Actually it would be quite a good thread if someone could give examples of the style and straegys some real life teams use to help people better understand how you would interpret certain real life styles into fm.

I wouldn't have thought the counter Strategy and Balanced would have been best suited to Barcas style for example.

Archived