Co-Ownership

Hello,

I'm playing in Italian Leagues for the first time in my FM career :p and I really want to know what co-ownership means.

A team makes a co-ownership offer, we can choose which team the player will play for (with the duration), so it must be like a loan offer right?

If someone enlight me, it would be better of course :)

Thank you.

Co-ownership is a system whereby two football clubs own the contract of a player jointly, although the player is only registered to play for one club. It is not a universal system, but is used in some countries, including Italy, Argentina, Chile and Uruguay.

This type of deal differs from third-party ownership, in that in the latter, the player's contract is owned by a non-footballing entity, such as a management company.

The advantage of this system is that you can have good players without spending too much money, because you can sign them by paying half of what his market price is.

for example, you want to sign a player and the club asks €10m for him. You can offer €5m in a co-ownership deal and have him play for you.

The way it works out in-game i've found is generally one of two options:

Club A pays £5m to co-own a player for 1 year, worth £10m. At the end of an unspectacular year club A decides not to buy the other 50% and he goes back to his original club (B). In this instance Club A have essentially paid £5m for a one-year loan + wages

Or;

Club A pays £5m to co-own a player for 1 year, worth £10m. He has a great season and his value doubles, club A pay club B the remaining 50% (now worth £10m, instead of £5m). In this instance Club A have paid £15m for a player now worth £20m

It can be a good way of hedging your bets across several youth prospects if you do it right. More often than not, it's a great money-spinner as the AI makes some odd decisions.

It can be a good way of hedging your bets across several youth prospects if you do it right. More often than not, it's a great money-spinner as the AI makes some odd decisions.

I'm sure they've improved it for FM 13, but in old ones you could buy all your co-owned players for £1, as the AI would nearly always bid £0, unless they had enoguh money and the player was a superstar

I'm sure they've improved it for FM 13, but in old ones you could buy all your co-owned players for £1, as the AI would nearly always bid £0, unless they had enoguh money and the player was a superstar

They've attempted to. The amount you now usually have to pay has gone up from £1 to £500 or £1k, but essentially you can pay the lowest option above £0 and usually get your player back for a hefty profit.

It's a nice trick if the club you buy from is in a bad financial stiuation/due to be relegated.

Also, if you find good talents that has not gained much reputation and their transfer price is low but you can't fit them into your team, then a Co-ownership where he remains at his club might yield a big profit in the future. I signed a few young Italians for low fees of around £1m-£3m and they ended up getting international football and was worth £10m-£15m before the deal expired. Remember to take contract into consideration though. It's no point having a profit of a few millions if you pay them big bonuses and £30k + pr week over two years. That will actually mean you've lost money.

Archived