95% fitness...

My general rule of thumb is, and has been sine the old FM days, is to never start at player who is bellow 95% fitness.

Obviously there are exceptions, usually due to fixture congestion or large numbers of injuries/suspensions in the squad.

Does anyone else operate on this rule?

It really depends on the situation. I like to rotate my squad quite a lot, but that isn't always possible and due to lack of numbers in some areas, for whatever reason, some of my players get played to death no matter what their fitness is.

Never below 93% for me, if possible. At times I do however give players a break when they have 93-95% if there are multiple players in that range and fit and good backups.

Of course there are always exceptional situations of congenstions and/or injury crisis which will make me allow for exceptions.

90% for me, too - though I'll sometimes risk someone between 85-90% if the replacement is also at that level, then switch them at half-time/once they drop past 75% in the 2nd half.

Always wondered what everyones opinion on this is.

Sometimes I see the AI playing players on 81% from the start and I think god i'd never do that! I get tetchy playing someone on blooming 89%, and only do so if I have no choice or hes a special player.

Wonder if they'll ever bring late fitness tests into FM?

Anyone under 95% I have a think about and see if there's a better option, BUT, I make decisions based on these criteria;

1) What role is the player expected to perform? A ball winning midfielder/an attacking wing back, or do I just want him to sit infront of the defence?

2) The fixture. It's more important for me to have a key player at 89% in a big match than it is against inferior opposition

96%

Any less and we are on a run then I look at natural fitness. Of a player is high then he can play. If he's low then I either limit what he does or make sure I've got a replacement on the bench.

As soon as a player is mid 70% during a game he gets subbed. I never go with a sub goalkeeper and make sure I have every other position covered even if it means shuffling my team around.

I never go with a sub goalkeeper and make sure I have every other position covered even if it means shuffling my team around.

I used to do this until my keeper went down early on against my flatmate in a network game and he pumped me 7-1 once I had an outfielder in goal. Didn't live that one down and it changed my policy, permanently. Although the chances of it happening AGAIN seem pretty remote.

I always use a sub goalkeeper. My FM11 memory of watching Daniel Van Buyten flail his arms helplessly as the tying goal whizzed past him from 40 yards out is forever burned into my brain.

Perhaps not true that I NEVER play a sub goalkeeper. I do in pre season friendlies or if I've got one hell of an injury crisis.

If my keeper gets injured during a game I put my fastest defender in as a sweeper keeper and a high defensive line with loan ball tactics and he just smashes everything that comes through 100 yards up the pitch. Not 100% effective but I find I either draw or nick a win. When I lose its usually because my strikers don't have as good aerial attributes and long balls keep coming back to me.

Archived