Allowing goals in the six-yard box

Playing IFK Mariehamn in the Finnish Premier League. Early in season and doing OK, so expectations (mid-table) not a problem. Due to the structure of Finnish football, I've had lots of chances to see my team play (they have a "pre-season" League Cup).

I'm using a fairly standard 4-4-2, as I have two strong forwards. Changes from standard: global zonal marking, very fluid. I tend to change individual roles to suit the player (WM or W, depending, for instance). If a wide midfielder is in anything but attacking mode, I make the FB behind him FB-Attack. I try to play one CB-cover and one CB-stopper (or LimDef if that's the suggested role for the player). During matches, I pay attention to my AssMan ... I assume, perhaps wrongly, that he usually knows more than I do, and at least I check out areas he spots. I'm scoring plenty of goals (2-forward combo has proven solid so far), but the defense isn't as good.

Coming off a 4-1 victory at home, I went on the road and lost 5-4 on a goal in extra time. I went to the analysis page and saw that four of the five opposition goals were scored from within or extremely close to the six-yard box. One of the goals was scored by a forward who dominated in the air, although my CB were only slightly worse/shorter in Heading/Height. (I played mostly Counter, went to Standard late in match, combined with shorter passing, because my long passes weren't working.)

Are there specific strategies to combat opponents scoring so frequently, so near to the six-yard box?

If the problem is that you are susceptible to the through ball and reading that you are using a 4-4-2, the likelihood is that you are conceding too much space in front of your back four, allowing time for an opposition midfielder or deep striker to turn and play a pass through your defence.

What roles are you using in central midfield? What about your width and defensive line? Do you use any shouts?

The options are really to use a DM to protect the back line, push the defensive line up to compress the space between defence and midfield, maybe look at using a sweeper 'keeper to help clear up behind the defence, look at quicker and more agile defenders to enable better reactions to the through ball or change your roles in midfield to provide more protection.

So yeah, a few options!

If the problem is that you are susceptible to the through ball and reading that you are using a 4-4-2, the likelihood is that you are conceding too much space in front of your back four, allowing time for an opposition midfielder or deep striker to turn and play a pass through your defence.

What roles are you using in central midfield? What about your width and defensive line? Do you use any shouts?

The options are really to use a DM to protect the back line, push the defensive line up to compress the space between defence and midfield, maybe look at using a sweeper 'keeper to help clear up behind the defence, look at quicker and more agile defenders to enable better reactions to the through ball or change your roles in midfield to provide more protection.

So yeah, a few options!

Thanks for the reply.

I often end up switching to a DM system, usually 4-1-2-2-1, after a few months in charge. When I take over a team, I try to adapt to the skills of the players that are in place. In this case, I had multiple good forwards and WM/W, so I chose 4-4-2 to make room for both forwards and the wide players. And it works, in that I have no trouble scoring. But the defense leaks. I usually have one CM in a defensive role. This would all work better if I had more quality in the center of defense, but it's just not there, so I will probably end up switching to one forward or going to a narrow diamond 4-4-2 w/DM (I don't like the space that results from a wide diamond). Perhaps my initial mistake was gearing the tactics to the better players before I took care of the lesser players in the back.

I set up basic tactics using the Tactics Creator. I don't change anything except switching to Zonal Marking, and adding Very Fluid. I use shouts sparingly. I figure a poorly-used shout can cause real damage, so I rely mainly on shouts that I know are appropriate for the moment ... Retain Possession if I'm struggling in that area, Work Ball into Box if I'm wasting chances on long shots, Look for Overlap if I have attacking FB and not-attacking WM.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply.

I often end up switching to a DM system, usually 4-1-2-2-1, after a few months in charge. When I take over a team, I try to adapt to the skills of the players that are in place. In this case, I had multiple good forwards and WM/W, so I chose 4-4-2 to make room for both forwards and the wide players. And it works, in that I have no trouble scoring. But the defense leaks. I usually have one CM in a defensive role. This would all work better if I had more quality in the center of defense, but it's just not there, so I will probably end up switching to one forward or going to a narrow diamond 4-4-2 w/DM (I don't like the space that results from a wide diamond). Perhaps my initial mistake was gearing the tactics to the better players before I took care of the lesser players in the back.

I set up basic tactics using the Tactics Creator. I don't change anything except switching to Zonal Marking, and adding Very Fluid. I use shouts sparingly. I figure a poorly-used shout can cause real damage, so I rely mainly on shouts that I know are appropriate for the moment ... Retain Possession if I'm struggling in that area, Work Ball into Box if I'm wasting chances on long shots, Look for Overlap if I have attacking FB and not-attacking WM.

Thanks again!

I don't think that's a mistake at all and, if your system is still successful in the short term, it makes perfect sense to play to your strengths whilst you develop a long term plan.

If you have a weak centre back pairing with no protection from a DM then I think this is really where your problem lies.

Well, the downloaded 442 a friend of mine uses is pushing up the defensive line without closing down too much. This causes the midfield and the defence to stay very close together (and the strikers too) when defending. Maybe you should try the Push Higher Up shout?

Well, the downloaded 442 a friend of mine uses is pushing up the defensive line without closing down too much. This causes the midfield and the defence to stay very close together (and the strikers too) when defending. Maybe you should try the Push Higher Up shout?

That's good, I'll keep that in mind. The last few games, I've tried to identify the opposition playmaker (usually by just seeing who has the most assists) and using the Closing Down Always OI. Their match ratings have been under 7, although I've gotten 1-1 draws rather than victories.

Archived