Bundesliga – Registering Young Players?

Is there a rule in the Bundesliga which prevents me playing any player under the age of 17?

I’m Bayern and I stole Max Meyer from Schalke for Compensation money. His 17th birthday is on 18th September 2012. I was unable to register him in my 2012/13 Bundesliga squad and I’m assuming this was because he’s still 16.

The Registration Window is now closed until Jan 1st 20013 – do I need to wait until then to register him?

I believe this is indeed the case, although there is something in my head saying you might have to wait until end of the season, but I'm not sure.

I think people have posted in the data issues and league specific bugs threads about this claiming it isn't true to real life, as 16 year olds have played in the Bundesliga before, so unless it was an IRL rule brought in this year I'm sure SI will review it for next year.

Thanks Hebbie.

It’s a right pain as I’ve got both Muller and Kroos out injured for several months and also Ribery which means I need to play Shaqiri at AML. So instead of giving Meyer some game-time I’ve had to sign Yossi Benayoun on loan.

Anyway, when I signed Meyer I offered him £15k/week and ‘back-up’ squad status but, on checking, it seems the game has automatically signed him as a Youth Contract on £60(yes, sixty) per week

In real life, there can’t have been very many 16 year olds play in the Bundesliga as I’m seeing the Youngest player to play: is Nuri Şahin for Borussia Dortmund (16 years and 335 days) so if there’s any others they must’ve been less than a month from 17 years old.

Hoping I can get him reg’d in Jan and he can play in the second half of the season.

Interesting, that does indeed sound like it is mostly 17 y/os

but then why would the rule be 17 minus 1 month? Unless the league started in August and the cut off date was mid-sepetember and his birthday was in between. I see his birthday is 5th september so this could be exactly it. When you register your squad what is the date given for "only players 17 after date.... may be registered?

It sounds like your boy is missing out by under 2 weeks!

I deliberately chose the words "SI will review it" rather than "change it", and on the basis of what you found about Sahin it seems they won't change much.

So to return to your OP, I don't know if you can register him in january or not, and have posted 2 big posts without saying much at all, as per normal.

Found this thread which says the cut-off is that no-one can be registered who is born after 31st December 1995. My player was born on born 18 September 1995 so I should indeed be able to register him.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/322633-Bundesliga-Youth-Player-Registration

Theoretically then, when the first Bundesliga match of the season is played on 24th August 2012, a player could be 16 years and 236 days old. Max Meyer was 16 years and 330 days old on this date, comfortably within the range.

Seems like SI need to fix the Bundesliga rules.

If that guy is right then SI do indeed need to change it.

I would find it strange-ish though that the youngest player had his birthday in September, and not in the big gap between Setpember to the end of December.

I know a player would have to actually be good enough to play, rather than merely young enough, but I would have thought that clubs much smaller than Dortmund could have had kids closer to the age limit.

If that guy is right then SI do indeed need to change it.

I would find it strange-ish though that the youngest player had his birthday in September, and not in the big gap between Setpember to the end of December.

I know a player would have to actually be good enough to play, rather than merely young enough, but I would have thought that clubs much smaller than Dortmund could have had kids closer to the age limit.

German football has a very competitive youth league system (full pyramid with promotion & relegation) so the desire to push players into the senior side is less demanding plus a Bundlesliga club can always test a young talent's ability to cope with playing against older players by giving him a run out in the u23 side that plays in the senior league pyramid.

Archived