Ridiculous stubbornness of game engine

Having been on a bit of a decent run, I (Man Utd) had a home game against 13th placed QPR. Didn't expect much trouble. Needless to say, I went onto lose the match 1-0. I on this occasion (try not to usually do it) play that particular match again.

It took 5 matches to beat them

1st match - lost 0-1. Samba MOTM performance 9.1

2nd match - drew 1-1 - Samba MOTM performance 8.5

3rd match - lost 0-1 Samba MOTM performance 8.7

4th match - drew 0-0 Samba MOTM performance 8.4

5th match - won 2-1 Samba MOTM performance 8.2

Having played FM for the best part of 10 years, I'd like to think of myself as fairly decent at it. But I'm sorry, 5 MOTM performances (Nevermind QPR's amazing ability to keep United out when they've been conceding more than a goal a game all season) in the same match, game after game is just absolutely ridiculous.

I have same experience.:(

But in real life, QPR won against Chelsea on winning streak.

AI managers choose most defensive approach (tactic + player selection) against us.

In current ME, this defensive approach has no drawback.

With one great defender and GK, this approach might succeed.

There should be more penalty for this defensive approach. (more mental pressure and stress to defenders and GK, lower motivation for aggressive forwards)

MU on winning streak should sometimes lose, but by their own problem (motivation, complacency, injury), not only by AI's successful defense.

If you were reloading it right before the match then all of the things going into the match that weight it in one direction or another will be set in stone.

wwfan said in another thread that the biggest impact of post-match team talks is in the next game, so if you think that that team talk, your media comments, your general form and morale, were all set in stone with each reload, then you weren't really doing anything differently than running the same game 5 times. Even running the same game 5 times you still won eventually, absolutely disproving some mugs' opinion that it is fixed.

If you had reloaded from 2 weeks before and still lost 5 on the trot, doing things differently every time, then you may have more of an argument.

Did you make any tactical changes during the match or just watch the same thing not work 4 times?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

- Albert Einstein

Unless you have made changes in your press conference, tactics, players and/or team talks, I actually welcome your results as it proves that the ME is not "scripted" as some state. You thought it was going to be a walkover, what makes you think that your players did not go in to the match with that exact same attitude, while QPR came fully determined to prove their worth?

I have same experience.:(

But in real life, QPR won against Chelsea on winning streak.

AI managers choose most defensive approach (tactic + player selection) against us.

In current ME, this defensive approach has no drawback.

With one great defender and GK, this approach might succeed.

There should be more penalty for this defensive approach. (more mental pressure and stress to defenders and GK, lower motivation for aggressive forwards)

MU on winning streak should sometimes lose, but by their own problem (motivation, complacency, injury), not only by AI's successful defense.

Most of the time it is a combination of those, mostly complacency of the manager though, rather than the players themselves. A lot of people, myself included at times believe that their team is superior and all conquering so a game like QPR at home should be a walk over. If you're struggling after about 10-20 minutes, I always find that the heat map in the analysis tab is the best source of information, look at how the opposition are setting up and how deep/narrow they might be playing and use shouts to overcome it. It becomes a lot easier then.

If QPR are holding you to a clean sheet or just the odd goal at Old Trafford then it's perfectly reasonable that a defender would get man of the match. Also as stated above he hasn't got 5 man of the matches, it's the same game so he has one. Not sure why you would feel the need to reload the game until you win anyway.

Having been on a bit of a decent run, I (Man Utd) had a home game against 13th placed QPR. Didn't expect much trouble. Needless to say, I went onto lose the match 1-0.......

Having played FM for the best part of 10 years, I'd like to think of myself as fairly decent at it. But I'm sorry, 5 MOTM performances (Nevermind QPR's amazing ability to keep United out when they've been conceding more than a goal a game all season) in the same match, game after game is just absolutely ridiculous.

The length of time you have played the game is irrelevant, especially considering the ME changes with FM13.

There was another special thread yesterday about team talks, and whilst it contains a lot of drivel there is some good content which might help you out: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/354390-Team-Talks-Ruining-Game-Experience

What did your reloading actually entail? Any tactical or motivational changes?

Whilst reloading proves nothing, the fact you failed to beat them four times in a row suggests you may not actually be that decent at the game.

I'd suggest that QPR were motivated and on the defensive end of the Strategy scale, and that you were complacent and failed to break them down.

In such a game, it is almost inevitable that a defender in the opposition side with get Player Of The Match.

Archived