Wingers' speed

What is the minimum you would go for when it comes to acceleration and pace attributes of attacking wingers?

e.g. One of the better wingers with moderate pace is Di Maria. He has only 13 in pace but makes up for it (I guess) with 16 in acceleration.

Can you state how quick is quick enough for an attacking winger of great quality? Thank you for responding.

What is the minimum you would go for when it comes to acceleration and pace attributes of attacking wingers?

e.g. One of the better wingers with moderate pace is Di Maria. He has only 13 in pace but makes up for it (I guess) with 16 in acceleration.

Can you state how quick is quick enough for an attacking winger of great quality? Thank you for responding.

I would suppose it depends where he is one the pitch and what he's generally doing.

Someone with lower pace but high acceleration would be suited to being higher up the pitch running onto short through balls and shorter one tow type passes, where his acceleration wlll get him quickly away from his marker and into space. He therefore may be less effective in a counter attack where he has to make 30-40 plus yard runs because his lesser pace will make him easier to catch.

Someone like Gotze is good round the box with his high acceleration, high technique and dribbling, for little edge of the box burst, dribbles or one tows.

Someone like Bale with his high pace and stamina, but maybe not as good dribbling acceleration is better for runs from a deeper position on the counter.

For me it depends entirely on what you want them doing.

High pace is nice for players that start deep and go past others. Acceleration is nice when partnered with Agility for someone dribbling as they can turn and accelerate away quickly and then draw a tackle etc. Was Beckham fast? Nope, but he got into very good positions and then made the most of it.

Back when Bentley still featured heavily for Spurs I would set him up very differently to Lennon. Lennon would start deep, dribble often, mixed RFD, cross from byline however, Bently would start high, often RFD (to get into positions he couldnt with the ball) and cross from mixed.

If you tell use what you want your winger to do then it will be easier to answer. Though, it will be dependant on league etc as well as many other stats.

Archived