Champions League Excitement

For quite long time now, I have been disappointed with how FM fails to convey the spectacle, glamour and excitement that is the hallmark of Champions League. Whilst I understand that it is rather difficult to recreate the pulsating drama of it all, I think FM can do a better job.

To give you a concrete example of how underwhelming things are at the moment, yesterday my third season Anzhi side played Barcelona. It was our debut season in CL, and only our second CL match ever. We were obviously underdogs in the tie, and when David Villa scored on 15 minutes to give Barca an early lead, it looked like field day for the visiting Catalans. However, we held fast, and a goal from a corner gave us a fighting chance. Energized by my half-time talk, the team gave a battling display after the break. Our keeper's heroic saves kept us in contention, and when Samuel Eto'o came off the bench deep in to second half to score a dramatic winner against his former club... "Anzhi stood firm to deny Barcelona".

Eh? That's not a fitting assessment of what had occurred!

I felt really deflated when all I saw in the way of post-match reaction, was the dreary "Anzhi stand firm to deny Barcelona" article! No mention of the Eto'o drama; not a word regarding the newcomers vs the elite; no commotion at all!

There needs to be more immersion and excitement when it comes to CL matches; some kind of way in which they stand apart from other matches in FM, as they do in real life.

Well I let my imagination do this for me. You know what you accomplish, imagine the headlines and feel the success yourself. FM is the base plate for doing something out of nothing. 1 day I got bored and started a normal DB unemployed and wound up doing 7 seasons at Stuttgart. Making them dominant in germany and europe. At no point was I praised but imagined as we sent Barca out, beat rivals Bayern and then defeated Real in the final to make it '2 in a row for Stuttgart'. I imagine just how celebrated it would be and so on. Games like FM need it because it is after all just a spacebar mouse click. Indulge in your imaginative side, maybe this does sound crazy but its what I do and I never, ever get tired of it.

Precisely! They do stand out, both commercially and aesthetically! If Barca lose a match in the league, the fallout is rather limited compared to when they lose in CL.

M.U.F.C: I agree about imagination, but I also want the best of both worlds, as it were.

Precisely! They do stand out, both commercially and aesthetically! If Barca lose a match in the league, the fallout is rather limited compared to when they lose in CL.

M.U.F.C: I agree about imagination, but I also want the best of both worlds, as it were.

You and me both mate. Lets just hope 14 offers us this. I didn't eve get 13 lol. I love 12 :)

Besides, the CL has much more impact on the perception of football than other club matches. Berbatov and Rooney both became dissatisfied partially because they were left out important CL matches. Ronaldo's fate at Man Utd was also decided when he vented his frustration after Man Utd lost the CL final. SAF often spoke of how difficult it was making team selection during the latter stages of CL, considering that some players would have to be left out. Gareth Bale's reputation shot through the roof after his hattrick against Inter. This season the battle for the last CL spot in the Prem eclipsed the title race! The list continues!

So it's not as if the difference between CL and other matches is purely superficial. It should make more of an impact on gameplay. SI need to represent this in game.

Doubt they agree in South America............

I watched the PSG vs Barca game in a small bar in Ho Chi Minh city and the place was packed and bouncing at 3 am with as many locals as tourist cheering on both sides, seen it like this in Thailand too where the Champions league is always screened in the very early hours.

Ronaldo's fate at Man Utd was also decided when he vented his frustration after Man Utd lost the CL final.

Ronaldo's fate at Man Utd was decided when Real Madrid offered a World Record transfer fee for him and he wanted to go.

Doubt they agree in South America............

Have to disagree with you there. It's a big deal everywhere, even though they do have the Libertadores. Strange, considering that actually ends up being a very unpredictable tournament, and the Champions League...well, it just isn't.

Ronaldo's fate at Man Utd was decided when Real Madrid offered a World Record transfer fee for him and he wanted to go.

You're correct, of course. What I meant to convey that Ronaldo's comments after the game (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/5398293/Manchester-United-v-Barcelona-Cristiano-Ronaldo-blames-tactics-for-Rome-defeat.html) had a much greater weight because of the immensity of the occasion and the increased public exposure.

At the moment FM does not convey the significance of such occasions. If Bayern were to lose the final today, the negative fallout would be immense, much more so than most other games. In FM there is no such thing. If we win the CL in FM as Dortmund, all we get by the way of reaction is several messages about the chairman and fans. Where is the hype? Where is the increased exposure? Where is the inflated interest in our players? Lewandowski scores 4 goals against Real and suddenly Real are interested in buying him. Winning CL as Dortmund should be a double-edged sword. Continental competitions are massively important in modern football.

FM needs to concentrate for more on the World Cup and odd international tournament before the Champions League. There's no feeling of culture, the only drama and tension come from how long it takes for a World Cup to come around.

I don't know if they've even added in a feature where a host country's stadia gets upgraded and new ones built yet.

FM needs to concentrate for more on the World Cup and odd international tournament before the Champions League. There's no feeling of culture, the only drama and tension come from how long it takes for a World Cup to come around.

I don't know if they've even added in a feature where a host country's stadia gets upgraded and new ones built yet.

They usually rotate the hosts around very rigidly. I'm not sure when it cuts back, but you'll pretty much always get a sequence of Germany, South Africa, Brazil, Russia, Qatar. The implication being that the stadiums would already be present, as they've either already held, or have the infrastructure and stadiums in place (with the exception of Qatar, not sure what they did about that in the db) to host again. National teams/Champions League finals never go to newly built stadiums either.

They usually rotate the hosts around very rigidly. I'm not sure when it cuts back, but you'll pretty much always get a sequence of Germany, South Africa, Brazil, Russia, Qatar. The implication being that the stadiums would already be present, as they've either already held, or have the infrastructure and stadiums in place (with the exception of Qatar, not sure what they did about that in the db) to host again. National teams/Champions League finals never go to newly built stadiums either.

Might be d ifferent for other international competitions though. I managed in an Asian Cup in FM 07 in 2023 or 2027 which was hosted by Macau, who I don't think have ever even bid to host before.

Its all about imagination with FM - always has been since the first version back on the Amiga, until now. One of the reasons why I cant watch the 3D or 2D dots, as I lose that immersive feel because I like to read the commentary and imagine how its playing out.

So for your example, imagine yourself at the stadium... the players excited, pat their backs, embrace a couple... clap the fans, send the players over to do it.. stuff like that... think it = feel it :D

to be quite honest all the excitement can be in your imagination, if you have one??? back in the old champ days the immersion was just fine because alot of it was in your own imagination, as trivial as it sounds its totally true, but i do kinda agree that more immersion in these type of big games needs to be emphasized.

Might be d ifferent for other international competitions though. I managed in an Asian Cup in FM 07 in 2023 or 2027 which was hosted by Macau, who I don't think have ever even bid to host before.

Might be, you're right. The Euros and World Cup certainly seem to rotate between "safe" choices, but not sure about others. In my saves I've noticed that at times there is a pattern to all of them, but sometimes they stray away.

Cant agree more with some of these guys, imagination is a big thing in FM. Is it just me who jumps up when i get a goal in the North London Derby?

When I win the Premier League on the final day by Goal Difference?

I Hope Not ;)

Archived