Penalty bug is there anyway to fix this yet?

It's an absolute joke. It seems a totally random bug that hits a team. Some saves i have no issues at all with penalties. I'm starting to think the stats don't even matter it's just pure pot luck. I've been Real Madrid for two seasons and out of 23 penalties I've scored three using 4 different penalty takers. My best Penalty take 20 pens 17 finishing 17 composure has scored one penalty out of 10. I just don't get it.

Now they don't miss the target but high or low top corner, bottom corner left, right or central they're all saved with ease by any keeper no matter how poor. It's starting to wreck my game tbh missing penalty after penalty.

It's funny because in my previous job on this save i had the problem and eventually found a player who scored 90% of the time. But even then i had players with stupidly high penalty and finishing stats who missed 90% of the time. Is the only fix for this to keep rotating my penalty taker until it cracks? I'm honestly at a loss for what to do.

Find a better penalty taker tbh.

Pens and composure are only two of the things you should be looking at. Add in technique, decisions, determination and then consider the personality of the player. How do they handle pressure?, do they get nervous or complacent? How confident are they during the match?

Even then its not always clear who makes the best taker, its just a case of trial and error until you find a good one.

Find a better penalty taker tbh.

Pens and composure are only two of the things you should be looking at. Add in technique, decisions, determination and then consider the personality of the player. How do they handle pressure?, do they get nervous or complacent? How confident are they during the match?

Even then its not always clear who makes the best taker, its just a case of trial and error until you find a good one.

Going by that you may as well remove the penalty attribute, as all relevant qualities can be covered off elsewhere.

There is no penalty bug, so there won't be any way to "fix" something that isn't broken.

You've said it yourself "Some saves i have no issues at all with penalties". A bug would cause issues with all saves, no matter what.

"I'm starting to think the stats don't even matter it's just pure pot luck." - yeah, it's almost like they refer to penalty shootouts as "a lottery".

There is no bug. Use a different penalty taker if they're missing.

The issue for me really is not a poor penalty it's the fact the keepers in this save are going the right way 95% of the time and when they do go the right way they always save the penalty. Rather annoyingly I've only saved one penalty myself.

I would assume the three key stats are the stats shown on the tactics screen. If a player has 18+ in these three stats there's no way in hell that player should not miss 9 pens out of 10 :/ Dammit i wouldn't expect Jamie Carragher to miss 9 pens out of 10 ;)

I've used five so far... there's very clearly an issue. What causes it no idea. A bug does not happen in all saves btw bugs can be brought on by any factor of things in a game.

There isn't an issue with penalties, there was after the December update but that was fixed in the final ME update.

If there was an issue you'd be seeing penalty shoot-outs consistently being won 1-0 or 2-1 & the player stat screen with the majority of players on a 50% or lower conversion rate, as neither of these are true in the game any suggestion of a deal breaking bug is a way off track.

No no all the stats are brilliant. I'm talking about £30mil strikers and midfielder's with 17+ in all key stats for kicking a football from 12 yards.

It's not the players it's the game.

Swing that round and you could say the opposition keepers are brilliant as well.

Basically at whatever level of football the success of a penalty remains relatively similar, judging from your OP your team are under performing in this department though and the way to improve is to look at other options.

I haven't had much of an issue with penalties but as someone says above if we need to take into account stats like, technique, finishing, composure, decision making, determination etc then what does the penalty taking stat cover? I would assume that it would take into account all of the stats important in penalty taking and be an evaluation of the combination. Not sure if that's how it works.

AFAIK the penalty attribute is a control value that defines how effective a player is at hitting the right areas of the goal when there are no other factors influencing the difficulty of the situation, the ability to score in a real game situation is then a combination of a different visible & hidden attributes plus the ability of the opposing keeper & of course the importance of the moment.

I'm sure Frank de Boer is technically proficient penalty taker in training but he manage to fluff his lines twice in a single match & Martin Palermo missed 3 in a single game during the Copa America.

AFAIK the penalty attribute is a control value that defines how effective a player is at hitting the right areas of the goal when there are no other factors influencing the difficulty of the situation, the ability to score in a real game situation is then a combination of a different visible & hidden attributes plus the ability of the opposing keeper & of course the importance of the moment.

This is what i thought and i can see why stats like, composure, concentration etc come into it but if the penalty taking stat is as you say how effective a player is at hitting the right areas of the goal then wouldn't that already take into account technique, finishing etc.

It has been my experience that a good penalty taker loses confidence when he misses and then tends to miss future penalties. They seem to go on streaks. I always change my takers after they miss. If there is a significant difference in ability I will reinstate the taker once he scores a few goals from the run of play.

This is what i thought and i can see why stats like, composure, concentration etc come into it but if the penalty taking stat is as you say how effective a player is at hitting the right areas of the goal then wouldn't that already take into account technique, finishing etc.

I guess that wouldn't cover off players like Unsworth etc, who were excellent penalty takers but you wouldn't want to see with 18 finishing in the game.

I just think the penalty taking attribute should have some bearing on how it is taken in a match, not just the player's ability to hit a penalty in training. To have a player with a 20 attribute who misses 9/10 because of other factors makes that rating a bit silly, especially for the casual player of FM.

Haven't scored a lot during penalties, and the majority were against mid-table clubs. 3 regens of mine with a penalty taking attribute of 20 have scored about 60% of the penalties they get. And before anybody says to look at other attributes, let me say all three had incredibly high composure levels, two were poachers and one was an amazing midfielder in the mould of Xavi.

If Penalty Taking, Finishing, Composure and Concentration are all high, the player is in good form with high morale, the coach report does not state Important Matches as a weakness and the in-game confidence gadget says that the player is "composed" or other positive stuff, but he still misses 9/10... then there is a bug.

I guess that wouldn't cover off players like Unsworth etc, who were excellent penalty takers but you wouldn't want to see with 18 finishing in the game.

I just think the penalty taking attribute should have some bearing on how it is taken in a match, not just the player's ability to hit a penalty in training. To have a player with a 20 attribute who misses 9/10 because of other factors makes that rating a bit silly, especially for the casual player of FM.

The Unsworth point is a good one, and of course Irwin was good with penalties too so having a high penalty taking stat and low technique, finishing etc does make sense in some cases. To turn it around though would they be good penalty takers in the game? If technique, finishing etc are so important then them having a high penalty stat may be cancelled out by low stats in these areas.

If Penalty Taking, Finishing, Composure and Concentration are all high, the player is in good form with high morale, the coach report does not state Important Matches as a weakness and the in-game confidence gadget says that the player is "composed" or other positive stuff, but he still misses 9/10... then there is a bug.

i think the percentages are alot lower than that you will find, around 70% if not more penalties are converted in a league campaigne in real life, thats taking into account you are picking your best penalty taker available ie: penalty taking 20 composure 20 and finishing 20, all 3 attributes are most important when taking into account how good a player actually is at penalty taking.

on the subject ive seen varied penalty misses and scored, no idea what triggers a bad run of penalty misses, all i can say is i do think the conversion rate needs to be higher when it comes to penalty taking.

remember players like Matthew Le Tissier only missed one penalty in his entire carrer, scoring i think 74 in the process, could he accomplish such a feat on the current penalty process in fm13? highly doubtfull so penalties arent how they are supposed to be.

basically you say if an accomplished penalty taker misses 9/10 penalties then theres a problem, that is absurd that a player has to miss so many for you to accept there is a problem, its more like if an accomplished penalty taker misses 5/10 then theres a problem and thats me being kind to real life statistics, it should actually be lower than that!since yous love to bang on about how football manager is a simulation of real life football.

Le Tiss scored 47 from 48, that one 'miss' was a save by Mark Crossley.

Pretty sure Lambert currently has 31 from 31 (yet MLG only gave him 17 for penalties!)

Personally I think penalties are missed far too often in game.

Ronaldo has something like a 90% penalty conversion rate. Gerrard 92% Lampard 93% , Even Baines has 100% and Gareth Barry 93%.

The world's top penalty takers don't miss very often and when they do it's usually a very good save so you need a top keeper.

If the game is drawing from technique, composure, finishing etc. it's drawing from too many variables and giving them too much weighting.

As players like Graham Alexander have shown, penalty taking is a fairly unique skill and as such it should heavily come down to that attribute.

Le Tiss scored 47 from 48, that one 'miss' was a save by Mark Crossley.

Pretty sure Lambert currently has 31 from 31 (yet MLG only gave him 17 for penalties!)

Personally I think penalties are missed far too often in game.

Ronaldo has something like a 90% penalty conversion rate. Gerrard 92% Lampard 93% , Even Baines has 100% and Gareth Barry 93%.

The world's top penalty takers don't miss very often and when they do it's usually a very good save so you need a top keeper.

If the game is drawing from technique, composure, finishing etc. it's drawing from too many variables and giving them too much weighting.

As players like Graham Alexander have shown, penalty taking is a fairly unique skill and as such it should heavily come down to that attribute.

To be fair you've named some of the best penalty takers there are.

Cant find the stats for across Europe, but in the Premier League the conversion rate is 79%

Archived