Weekly Motivation Strategy

I started another thread as a direct consequence of reading wwfan's 'Twelve Step Guide'. That thread can be found by clicking the link below. wwfan's thread is stickied and is easy to find.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/354688-On-wwfan-s-Theory-of-Tactical-Fluidity-and-Specificity

Another thing that really stuck out from that read was this idea of a weekly motivation/media/team-talk strategy; something I usually— admittedly—take with a grain of salt. It goes along the lines of:

1. Post-match team-talk sets the tone for the upcoming week.

2. Media-strategy lets the club—and the world—know your expectations for the week.

3. Pre-match team-talk, related to #1 and #2, allows one to reinforce one's motivational strategy or change it based on morale.

4. Sets the tone for the second half. This is the talk that can really have an effect on the match.

I've always considered the different team-talk and media modules as individual and discrete rather than integrated and holistic. I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into the psychological branch of the game, but I'd like to hear people's thoughts on how it all functions together.

Perhaps I can lay out a few scenarios and you could advise on some best practice approaches. I said in another thread I essentially use 'Passionate' for every team-talk, which I'm willing to accept could have negative effects on the players notwithstanding the notion I don't see anything inherently wrong with such an approach. With that being said, it goes to show how little I understand how all this is tied together holistically in-game.

User Team: Man Utd

League Position after 25 games: 1st

Opposition: (A) Man City

Opposition League Position after 25 games: 2nd

Result: Man City 1 Man Utd 3

Post-Match Team-Talk: Tone(s)? Attitude(s)? Expectation(s)?

Next Opposition: (H) Wigan

Opposition League Position after 25 games: 20th (last)

Media Strategy for the week: Tone(s)? Attitude(s)? Expectation(s)?

Pre-Match Team-Talk: Tone(s)? Attitude(s)? Expectation(s)?

Half-Time Team-Talk: Tone(s)? Attitude(s)? Expectation(s)?

Next Opposition: (H) Arsenal

Opposition League Position after 25 games: 3rd

Media Strategy for the week: Tone(s)? Attitude(s)? Expectation(s)?

Pre-Match Team-Talk: Tone(s)? Attitude(s)? Expectation(s)?

Half-Time Team-Talk: Tone(s)? Attitude(s)? Expectation(s)?

Next Opposition: (H) Reading (18th)

My approach to this side of the game is to be harsh when my team have done well and to encourage, gee up when they are'nt.

In regards to your post, sometimes it is not possible to have a strategy for the week as the press conferences do not always occur. Whenever I have tried to instigate anything pre match, it has always seemed to backfire in some way so I adopt a less is more approach.

This is how I would approach the scenario you have set up

Man City post match - Calm-good win

Wigan

Week: Praise opposing team e.g "they will give us a game" attempting to keep any determination away from their squad,

"we have to concentrate" negate any over confidence or complacency in my own squad.

Pre match: Assertively "expect a win"

Half time and post match. Impossible to say without knowing whats happened.

Saying that if we have won comfortably I would'nt say anything post match.

For the Arsenal game, motivation should'nt be an issue as its a big game and my players should know that.

However I would adopt a competitive tone building up to the game

Pre match I would alleviate any pressure on my side.

Just think that there is'nt a black and white scenario in this module, and most of it is intuitive depending on the situ at the time.

I hope this thread develops as it is something I am interested in.

I hope I have'nt rambled on too much as I am just coming out of a general anasthetic

I find that team motivation more about form and results so to try to balance confidence. I usually base my talks on advice provided by Assistant and then adjusting depending if I want to give more or less confidence.

I'm usually Calm for Media talks but only changing the tone if I really want to emphasise something. I have also notice that the only part of the media talk that makes a difference is the Headline on the talk (the news item after the meeting) and whatever else is said is ignored. I guess the idea behind this is the media mis-representation. However, this can be manipulated slighty by providing the more neutral comments (the second and fourth response) until the question I want is reach then I give the more extreme answer (top or bottom response). I avoid chosing the middle response as it usually bad reaction from the team/individual but I have noticed that there is no problem pressing the "No Comment" answer to avoid some questions, like "Who is your weakest link?" question.

Start of the season, I'm looking to build up confidence so positive team talks. On a run of wins, I'm trying to knock the confidence down and after a loss I'm trying to build it back up.

The correct Tone for a team talk can make a real difference for its effectiveness. I take my cue from the assistant manager here. If his suggestion cotains a "tell them" or "make it clear" then it's "Assertive" or "Aggressive" and if it is a "maybe" then its "Cautious" or "Calm". I've never used "Reluctent" and "Passionate" is only for Rival matches.

User Team: Man Utd

Opposition: (A) Man City

Result: Man City 1 Man Utd 3

Post-Match Team-Talk: Passionate - "Fantastic Result" (Good Rival, Good Away Result)

Next Opposition: (H) Wigan

Opposition League Position after 25 games: 20th (last)

Media Strategy for the week: Calm - "Tough", "Not to expect", "Anyone and beat anyone"

Pre-Match Team-Talk: Assertive - "Expect Win" (A younger team would need a Calmer tone, take cue from Assistant Man)

Half-Time Team-Talk and Post-Match Team-Talk: Depends on match

Next Opposition: (H) Arsenal

Opposition League Position after 25 games: 3rd

Media Strategy for the week: Calm - "Confident"

Pre-Match Team-Talk: Calm/Assertive - "Do it for fans" (Teams of similar stature)

Half-Time Team-Talk and Post-Match Team-Talk: Again depends on match

1. Post-match team-talk sets the tone for the upcoming week.

2. Media-strategy lets the club—and the world—know your expectations for the week.

3. Pre-match team-talk, related to #1 and #2, allows one to reinforce one's motivational strategy or change it based on morale.

4. Sets the tone for the second half. This is the talk that can really have an effect on the match.

I hate to say this, but I do not see how this is possible when you consider the options that are given.

If I praise my tea, on a good win, how have I set the tone for the upcoming week compared to saying you could do better. It is all rather vague.

I hate to say this, but I do not see how this is possible when you consider the options that are given.

If I praise my tea, on a good win, how have I set the tone for the upcoming week compared to saying you could do better. It is all rather vague.

That's my point, mate. Not to mention that the full-time team-talk options are limited and don't always logically relate to the next week or next game.

Archived