What's wrong with these 3 formations?

Hi guys,

So I'm looking to tune-up my 3 tactics as Shrewsbury Town. I've almost got them to a point where I'm happy, but I'm looking for some more opinions. I've left a save if anyone would like to test out the next 3 games with some of their own changes to the formations there.

There are 3 tactics there; Balance, Defence, Attack. All are 442 formations, but a 451 could be implemented.

The save game;

http://www.4shared.com/file/3ooHCS9q/Shrewsbury.html?

DEFENCE: Used mostly for away games or where the opposition is overall better than my team...

690AE07FEF7141058A261BE021C28DF437D35C7C

3EB8D76640C17E76E0FF58A5414AFBF54A1689F7

ATTACk: Used where I'm greatly favourited. (Still can't get anything from this)

EA125F0E47F3AC938666C7C9B17FAE14A4678B2F

6B64CE5AC6AD1C030148AA2F7400AB613677C164

STANDARD: Used in most games when both teams are balanced and I'm usually at home.

DDFAAB2741F0EC2FBF13B4EC03B3F55EBD631D87

583D6E2B3B8FE8CC72F60BB9B8CFB56D2A2CAF31

FIXTURES SO FAR: As you can see we've had a lot of nice wins, but quite a few losses that could of been avoided.

8621350C96C4FC3D6FBBA889AAF39A19124CA61C

LEAGUE TABLE: We're doing pretty well for the calibre of our team.

859A8E5B54E3A235795A77E5CEBDB5868D82E58A

Please let me know what changes you'd make and how successful you found my own if you don't mind.

EDITTED: With pictures now I finally know how to make them work! (Oh yerrrrrrr-h)

If no one does then I'll simply carry on. Thing is with those posts you get plenty of people telling you what you've done is wrong but the second you then go to create a new formation you have to go through the whole phase again cause you haven't learned anything new. I'm tactically decent, and I'm 2nd in the league where I'm punching above my weight, just want to put the icing on the cake and see what improvements others could find.

Like I said, we don't work like this in here :)

Either give more info and be specific with issues etc or the thread will be closed as it doesn't really serve a purpose without actual details. You are seeking help yet won't out effort into the detail side of things.

When uploading screenshots (it is explained in the FAQ's at the top of the forum :) ) you need to upload them to somewhere like imageshack etc. Then you use the link they give you. When you add an image using the image thing above the reply make sure you choose the option from url and untick this Retrieve remote file and reference locally, then just add the URL you got from imageshack.

Funny that it lets everyone else load up images. :)

That's cause everyone else knew how to make them work with the exception of me.

When uploading screenshots (it is explained in the FAQ's at the top of the forum :) ) you need to upload them to somewhere like imageshack etc. Then you use the link they give you. When you add an image using the image thing above the reply make sure you choose the option from url and untick this Retrieve remote file and reference locally, then just add the URL you got from imageshack.

I shall kiss you for that knowledge there.

I have been playing 4-4-2 (granted in 2026) and when teams park the bus on me I do not go attack ... I go control ... and use the following shouts......retain possession, play out of defense, play wider, run at defense, and this seems to have solved the problem of not breaking down lower quality teams for me who sit back and wait out a match. I have yet to lose to a lower quality team doing this.

It's been refreshing for me to say the least.

I have been playing 4-4-2 (granted in 2026) and when teams park the bus on me I do not go attack ... I go control ... and use the following shouts......retain possession, play out of defense, play wider, run at defense, and this seems to have solved the problem of not breaking down lower quality teams for me who sit back and wait out a match. I have yet to lose to a lower quality team doing this.

It's been refreshing for me to say the least.

Problem is most of the league is better than my team. I've done well to get second. I've done 6 saves, so it's not as if I'm saving and reloading either. I just know I struggle more than I should be against certain teams.

I know as little as most people (and certainly less than those who post in here), but your "Attack" tactic is similar to one I run effectively in the Scottish Premier. Only changes, bump your left FB to WB (attack or support) set your RB to WB-s but leave him on the back line, pull that left winger over to center midfield so you have a Ball-winning MF-D, Advanced playmaker-S and Box to Box MF-S, set that right winger to IF. I like "counter-attack" over "play offside". Once the tactic's been trained (hopefully in pre-season), all sorts of epic sillyness occurs. Those fullbacks start coming forward, that right winger pulls over and becomes a 3rd striker (I actually play a AM RL who doubles as a striker), and there's a half-dozen players deep in the box banging the ball around.

Shouts when needed: pump ball into box, play narrow, hassle opponents (to start counter-attacks)

Since I'm playing at least 2 games a week between league and cups, I sometimes have to flip the formation from a "S" to a "2", so it's handy to have a couple wingback eligibles Right and Left, and have some sturdy centerbacks to rotate in the middle.

Just a suggestion to play around with - I like how this tactics moves.

Archived