Making Certain Competitions a Priority.

Might be worth giving people a bit of a background here.

I'm currently playing as Liverpool in the 2032-2033 season. They still haven't won a league title since the game begun, and in fact have only won a Capital One Cup in the last 10 years on my save. There is limited money and the squad I have generated has been made after sales of old squad players, Bosman signings and developing some of the youth there.

I took the job around 15 months ago and decided that I wanted to win a trophy initially. Try and win the fans with any form of silverware, then concentrate on breaking into the top 4 (a place they haven't been in 13 years) and then longer term look at challenging for the league title.

In my first season, I finished 6th in the league, got knocked out the FA Cup early and lost in the Capital One Cup early. I lost in the Europa League final to Manchester United on penalties. The board considered the season as okay.

I knew that in my 2nd season, I wanted to win a major trophy.

This has got me thinking, if I concentrated on winning the FA Cup or Europa League (not going to win the league, not enough depth or quality and the Capital One Cup I have to use to blood youngsters as I can't buy many players) and my form dipped in the league, would I be given the backing by the board if I delivered some silverware? It's worth noting the board have said the minimum expectation this year is to challenge for the title! (which is a little unrealistic I think!)

Its the first time I've managed a club where I'm considering backing the cup competitions over the league, just to end an 11 year period without a trophy and keep me in my job. There isn't enough quality to challenge for the league, enough for top 4. Just.

Has anybody else been in a position where they make a competition a priority for any particular reason?

If the board say the minimum is to challenge for the title then i think you'll be in a lot of trouble if you fall far short of that. I think the boards of the top teams put a lot more significance on the league over one of the cups. As you say with your squad it might not make a lot of sense to say a title challenge is the minimum but if that's what they want that's what you'll probably need to give them.

It depends, really. I mean one season where I was meant to take the title, despite doing so 11 times in a row, I failed horribly and ended up in sixth. After making the CL final, the board let me off the hook, because let's face it, a team from the Scottish Premier Division making a CL final is some kinda minor miracle, and I was predicted for a first round crash out. If you're in the English Premiership, then err... well, if you're expected to win the Premiership, winning the UEFA Cup would probably be considered with nothing more than "so what?"

Sure, though if I'm a top team I prioritise the week.

When I got a League 2/League 1 yo-yo club promoted to League 1 and it was becoming clear after a few months we would be safe if the form continued, I prioritised cup runs. As a top team, I'll rest players for most Champions League group games, and sometimes I'm not fussed about the F.A. Cup (and of course, play second-string in the League Cup).

Archived