Should I buy FM 2013?

Hi,

I'm new to the FM series but it has certainly caught my attention over the past year due to FIFA becoming increasingly more casual. At first, I started with FMH 12 and I loved it. I remember getting a third division German team to the Bundesliga, and feeling much more accomplished than I would be had I done it in FIFA 13's career mode. Then, I saw Championship Manager 01/02 had a free download and I tried it out and am now in my third season. I was amazed by how big the database was and how they went into so much detail with things like continental competions, licenses for players and teams, tactics, and how it was miles ahead of I ever experienced in a manager sim.

After that, I downloaded the FM 13 demo from Steam and played it for a little while, but I had no idea what I was doing. I basically delegated most of my tasks to the staff on my team. I had no idea how to handle tactics, team talks, and scouting. I was still impressed by the detail, but I also saw that it took much longer to advance time and play matches.

That said, what's your experience with FM 2013? Is it worth the money? And do you think an amateur could learn to play it?

Thanks!

Coming on to the FM forums and asking whether you should buy it... OF COURSE.

It's a completely different game to FIFA which you can learn with a few games. I think the key thing in learning how to play and enjoy FM is having the patience and time to learn the different components of the game. I think this has become easier this year as many people were struggling with the 'difficulty' due to the new match engine. However, this forum has an abundance of information on squad building, staff recruitment, training and perhaps most notably, training.

Someone (I've forgot his name) released a document that included all of the major works that analysed the different parts of the game. I'm sure Cleon, Herbert Fandel or Lam might see this and then link the thread that has the download link for the file.

A word of warning. If you do learn the basics, you will become addicted. FM is shocking for it.

If the detail is overwhelming to you, you could try playing in FM Classic mode, which cuts some of that out.

That said, you could certainly figure out the full game if you give it time. There's lots of great guides on this forum and you can always post and ask for specific help.

Coming on to the FM forums and asking whether you should buy it... OF COURSE.

Well, you can't be too sure. If you were to go to the EA forums and ask whether buying FIFA 13 would be worth buying, you'd get many resounding "no's."

Anyway, thank you all for your inputs. I've decided to go ahead and buy the game, and I've got to say I'm having fun while learning.

Well, you can't be too sure. If you were to go to the EA forums and ask whether buying FIFA 13 would be worth buying, you'd get many resounding "no's."

Anyway, thank you all for your inputs. I've decided to go ahead and buy the game, and I've got to say I'm having fun while learning.

If you have any questions, no matter how trivial or stupid they sound, I'd just ask them. This game has a LOT of detail, and I imagine it would be extremely scary for a new player. I would suggest starting with a top team which has a good transfer and wage budget though, it'll allow you to understand the basics. Celtic could be a good starting point.

To answer your question, no, wait for FM14 when they have their experimental stuff from FM13 sorted out.
Download the demo, play it for a while then decide whether its for you

He has mentioned that he already bought the game 2 / 3 comments before yours. Please, read a topic in its entirety before replying? Cheers.

Archived