league wins

Ok so I won 2 leagues in a row with Spurs and on the third season my team went ****, despite being improved. I didn't buy many players for the first team as I built a really good team in the first two years.

So 2 years never won the league. In that time signed couple more good players and lots of quality regens.

Next two season I won both leagues and changed maybe 1 or 2 players at the end of first season and brought some youth regens into the second team that had been ripping up my youth ranks. I won that league.

My team is set. So sold off some of the high contract rotation player (3) as i drafted in some of the youth half way through the previous season and proved to be ready for the team. Now I have 2 sets of 11, my strongest and the rest is made up of really strong players and youth regens mix. Well the regen lb was out performing the starting so I switched them squads this year. That was my only moves beofre the league started. 3 Cantera moving up. 1 rotation player given the starting spot since he was clearly surprising him.

Season starts awful. With 1 change to the starting 11 and its looking like them season when i lost the league.

Is this the realistic way of stopping us dominating every single season or something i am doing? I have won the champions league 3 times and two of the times where in seasons when i didn't win the league. Just curious about the 2 in a row league wins, broken by city who won 2 in a row, which i broke and won 2 in a row and now looks to be broke again and maybe arsenal win it this year as they are beating everyone and i am lagging 7 points behind.

It just sounds like complacency set in & you paid the price, the trick is working out which players are most likely to suffer from this before it happens & move them on at the right time.

Your reputation, (that of the club), has improved greatly so the opposition play differently, (would assume in a more defensive/counter attacking way), against you now to how they did before. You have to find a tactical solution to get around them.

Is this the realistic way of stopping us dominating every single season or something i am doing? I have won the champions league 3 times and two of the times where in seasons when i didn't win the league. Just curious about the 2 in a row league wins, broken by city who won 2 in a row, which i broke and won 2 in a row and now looks to be broke again and maybe arsenal win it this year as they are beating everyone and i am lagging 7 points behind.

Given you are talking over several seasons here I would say its down to mixture of things you aren't doing or at least not doing well enough to allow you to dominate.

Although you haven't said I'm also presuming the years you haven't won the league you are still competing towards the top and likely finishing in the top four so hardly a disaster.

Some things to consider though:

A) Morale/complacency & player personality which is what Barside has touched upon.

It isn't just about the attributes you can see you need to consider hidden attributes when building your squad. Personality, media handling and their morale during a game all give hints as to these hidden attributes. To be consistent the bulk of your squad needs to have a backbone, determined & professional players who dig deep when things go bad rather than giving up.

B) Team talks

Following on from A you need to know how to motivate your squad. Different personalities require different approaches to get the best out of them so again building the bulk of your squad with similar personalities makes team talks easier as you have to give less individual talks.

C) Opposition tactics which is what Tom has touched on.

Its true as you become more successful other teams will see you as a threat and play more defensive against you but over several seasons you also need to react to other changes the opposition make. New managers & new players mean teams will change their formation/shape from time to time, how does this affect your tactics? Every formation has strengths & weaknesses maybe they are now exploiting a weakness in your formation or have closed off an area you were attacking in theirs. Maybe they have made a star signing or had a world class youth player come through who you aren't dealing with.

To use an example: On one FM11 save I was playing in Serie A, Inter finished somewhere around 3rd-7th for several seasons without really challenging. Then one season they spent £20m on a new ST and had a world class ST promoted from their youth team. They changed formation playing 442 with two DMCs and relied on playing counter attacking football with their two STs carrying them to back to back titles for the next two seasons. Little by little other teams adapted to counter this threat giving Inter much more of a challenge.

2015 shows your save is broken.

it is a pain, i'm having it myself, won leage a few seasons in a row, was scoring for fun the season before, played 19 and won 19, yes but most have been 1-0 or 2-0, poor performances.

The sign of a good team is winning when you are playing badly :)

The sign of a good team is winning when you are playing badly :)

not necessarily early in the season Newcastle Jets (A-League team I support) were winning but not playing well then we continued to play poorly and stopped getting results

Archived