Has anyone been succesfull with Sporting CP (poor finances!)?

Hi,

In FM12 it was impossible to have a good economi with Sporting CP. In FM13 its the same. The money is running out of the club. I just tried to go on holiday for one year and then take over Sporting. 1 july 2013 they are down with £12 milllion. They have a possible chance for Champions League but still. It seems very unrealistic. In real life they buy players every season but you just cant in FM. Seems like a bug to be honest. Has anyone played with Sporting for more than one year? Then, was is the key? Qualify to Champions League, sell players and only get players on free transfer?

It seems very unrealistic. In real life they buy players every season but you just cant in FM. Seems like a bug to be honest.

"The club lost an eye-watering €46 million (£39 million) last season and have built up total debts of €220 million (£187 million) under Godinho Lopes' regime"

http://espnfc.com/columns/story/_/id/1383833/andy-brassell:-back-to-the-future-for-skint-sporting-lisbon?cc=5739

I have never played with Sporting in FM but I can try an give you some help.

1. IRL Sporting is facing the worst crisis in their history, they are technically insolvent as they have way more debt that assets and in the last 3 years their situation kept getting worse and worse and they have sold and bought a huge number of players without any success. Their recently elected new chairman in trying to turn things around but it's definitely quite a challenge and I believe FM13 reproduces that almost perfectly.

2. Now into the advice itself. Despite all their troubles Sporting is still in the top4 Portuguese teams, meaning you can probably fight for the title in the first season, but Porto and Benfica are way better teams and more resourceful. But you should be able to secure at least a top3 position.

3. Moreover, they are playing in the Europa League meaning you can gain some extra money and increase the value of your players so you can sell them in January first season or by the end of the first season.

4. Try to win a trophy! The Portuguese League might not be easy in the first season, but the Portuguese Cup and the League Cup aren't that difficult! Only Porto and Benfica can really beat you, but in a one-game stage everything can happen!

5. Sporting has the best youth academy in the country, no doubt about that! So use those players in the B Team and U-19's Team. You have there some real gems, trust me. It's obviously a big risk to promote 6-8 players from the youth ranks to the main squad but it might be your only solution.

6. Get rid of all those players with hight salaries, over 26 years old and that can make you gain some extra money. That way you receive the money from the transfer and save on salaries.

7. Try to sign some players for free, with lower salaries than those on your team, and go for some cheap loans to make you survive during 1-2 seasons.

8. In conclusion: get rid of high wage players, take a huge leap of faith on your youth academy (they are doing it IRL!!), and free players or cheap loans should make it. Hopefully in the 2nd season you'll be playing in the CL and your youth players have improved massively !

Best of Luck!

Look at it from a different perspective. Now you have an excellent challenge. Fight for champions league spot each year, get the CL money, clear your debts and develop youngsters. Wont be long before you start turning a profit and you could even get lucky with a take over.

It doesn't always have to be about starting a new game and try to sign the best players available all the time.

• 6 months later...

Sporting CP is a great challenge.

OVERVIEW (Finances and Objectives)

You are expected to qualify for the EURORA League (at least), and you are given a budget of 1.7m.

Should you choose to set higher objectives (league winners) you get 1.9m. Don't do this.

In the ''Finances'' section of the club you can move Money between the transfer budget and the wages budget (by clicking on the one you choose to increase).

Click on the transfer budget to get a higher value at the cost of decreased wage budget (or vice-versa), but there is a limit. In this case you can get a maximum of 6.5m.

Decent enough isn't it? Well let's move on.

Altough Porto and Benfica are somewhat better than Sporting, they are still the 3rd best club in Portugal a fair distance ahead of Braga, Guimarães, and Estoril. Braga tend to under-achieve dispite having some quality players.

You should be able to finish in a confortable 3rd spot. Focus on qualifying for the UEFA Champions League and try your best to grab a domestic cup trophy (Portuguese league cup/Taça de portugal). The Taça de Portugal is probably your best shot and your only reall competition is against the two giants.

SQUAD

Sporting have a great squad if played correctly. You should recall Elias from his loan because he is your best defensive midfielder and a first-team regular.

Personally, i send back the two loaned in players and recall Elias and M.Lopes but it's up to you to decide.

Your assistant manager suggests your defence is the weakest spot and i agree.

Consider signing: Glenn Loovens/CB/29 years/Free - He will accept a salary of 7k for 3years. (subtstitute)

and Chris Maguire(CB/21 years/Sheffield United - He has a price tag of +2m and you can convince his team to let him go for 5.75m, it is totally worth it (he should be played as first-team regular along side M.Rojo and at the end of a solid season he will become on of the best defenders in the club. The board will initially be unhappy with the price paid for him but don't worry, they will change their minds soon.

To sign Maguire allocate 6m to your budget in the Finances section (Don'r put 6.5m so you have room for some wages). Maguire will accept 7.5k for 3 seasons.

Thats it for transfers. Now you just need to promote Salim Cissé from your second team and recall Renato Neto if you need him in center midfield.

Cissé should be played as a substitute regularly, he will score goals and will become better than Slimani (your first choise) after 2 seasons.

Send the remaining second team players on loan. Consider selling Jefferson and Magrão. I personally could use the Money better, and we have plenty quality players to substitute them.

Tactics

Formation 4-3-2-1

Team Intructions: Balanced, Short Passing, Commited Tackling.

Short passing help keep posession and commited tackling altough increase the yellow cards od Elias and Rinaudo in defensive midfield, it gave me the best defensive record in the league.

Other intructions: Pressing (ON), Offside trap (ON), Counter Atack (ON)

Player Instructions, Capel and Carrilllo should play AML/AMR respectively with Winger roles. Slimani as striker with Poacher role, and Labyad in AMC as advanced playmaker.

In Defensice midfiel play Elias as a Deep lying midfielder and Rinaudo as Ball winning midfielder.

Rojo in central defence as Ball playing defender, along side Maguire as Central Defender role. On the sides Cedric Soares as a wing back and Piris as a Full back.

Rui patricio in goal.

This tactic won me the League. and the Taça de Portugal in the 1t season! :brock:

Not to mention a 23 game unbeaten run and 59% win percantage (6% loss). This is just insane for a club like this.

Be patient and let the first team play regularlt and get to know the formation. Plus, i find letting th game play in Slow speed and Full pitch gives you much more understanding of what to do in every situation. Never underestimate the importance of 65 minute substitutions, they keep fresh legs on the pitch and are essential to hanging on to 1 goal leads and win many matches.

I went on to play the second season and the board game me unchangable objectives to mount a serious title challenge, with a 4.4m budget (wich you can arrange up to 12.5m). Although the team is good enough to play the second season the same way, i brought in E.Frimpong from Arsenal (offeres a contract as his was about to expire) and payed 12m for Muniain from Atletic Club (he requested a move). I bought Muniain to substitute Carrillo, as he became so good Real Madrid bought him for 19.5m. That made the clubs financial state rich and after buying Muniain we still have 11.5m to 20m available. Do not let this type of Money get you complacente. You will need Money eventually. Keep it. I personnaly sold Labyad for 8m because his salary is 49k and after him the highest is 29k (beside Muniain who earns 39.5k). Thats a good way to keep finances in good shape. Don't let overpaid players ruin you. At this point i am looking for a substitute for AMC with a 28m budget and a great squad. :applause:

Hope this helps, (feedback apreciated) Good luck!

• 1 month later...
How can I give myself advice on a topic I am asking for help on?

I did actually make a thread in that forum asking for help but it was closed

yo i'm playing with borough at the moment, got them promoted first time round and won the league, trying to survive the drop now

played a two different 4 - 3 - 3's one that is more possession based for weaker teams and home games and one that was more counter attack based, at Borough you're blessed with some forwards that can play in a variety of positions so use them wisely, and trust me you can cash in on some of them in the transfer window if they perform well. Have a start over again and try to get some free signings like adam vass or fran yeste in to shore up your team

• 3 months later...

Hey i have, managed them all the time. As you r right on what you said, there is a big financial crisis which will affect your squad. I dont sign player on the first year so the finacial problem doesnt get worse. I normally use the youngster in the team which gives u advantage because they expect you to qualify for euro cup, n with the team u have u can do better, and no pressure to compete for the tittle in the first season, im competing for it. I normally use a 4 at he back, one holding which is the kid william then 2 central mid, adrien and adre martins. You got labyad aswell, which is good, but martins is very good, n u can make profif with him, 2 wingers capel left, n carrilo right, then ur biggest problem which im having is the striker, i put slimani. I loaned cisse but i brough him back. Hope u still managing them n good luck...forca sporting

Archived