Ball Winning Midfielder= constant yellow cards

I play a 4-2-3-1. I'm to use play the double pivot in the central midfield with a Deep lying playmaker and a ball winning midfielder. But my BWM can seem to avoid yellows. His current ability is a 180 so hes obviously world class. He is best suited as a Anchor Man though.

Is there something I can do to try to prevent all the yellows/red piling up? Do I have to change his role, what role is better?

Is he on support or defend? I've found support to be more balanced and work better as with defend the player tends to run around like a headless chicken closing down and chasing for the ball, being far more rash in the tackle. Could try BWM (s) + DLP (d)

Finding a similar frustration in my Gills save. Got Panagiotis Tachtidis and Daniele De Rossi in the 18/19 season, and De Rossi has been sent off two games in a row for receiving 4 yellows. Unfortunately the "tackler" type player tends to be dirty, it's very hard to find someone that isn't like that. Sandro seems to do a good job against me though. I also had it with Charlie Lee, and after that, Jay Spearing.

• SI Staff

The hidden dirtiness can have an impact indeed...look if this player always have this kind of trouble whatever his position or role is. The PPM can also have an impact....

But you have also to consider the role; duty and the shape and its mechanism. I also had this kind of issue when using this role with this duty in this shape.

Ball winning midfielder....it means more pressing that a usual midfield...and tackle on hard. I think this is quite dangerous to use this role on a duty defend in a 4231.

Dangerous because it can create a whole due to the higher pressing and dangerous because of tackling hard.This player is the last one before your 2 DC; so the longer he stays on his foot and the more properly he's diving on tackle the better it is.

It means to have good attributes for tackling and defense. Decision; anticipation, tackling...but not only

Try just to change the role...to a central midfielder on a defend duty.

First defensivly your shape will be better, second you'll have a player with higher creativity and longer passes, which can be really interesting; third the tackle will not be hard.

If this change doesn't resolve the yellow card problem then consider dirtiness, PPM etc...

The hidden dirtiness can have an impact indeed...look if this player always have this kind of trouble whatever his position or role is. The PPM can also have an impact....

Try just to change the role...to a central midfielder on a defend duty.

First defensivly your shape will be better, second you'll have a player with higher creativity and longer passes, which can be really interesting; third the tackle will not be hard.

If this change doesn't resolve the yellow card problem then consider dirtiness, PPM etc...

That's what I ended up doing, Vidal kept getting red carded too often when I had him as a BWM, so I switched him to CM and that seemed to take care of the problem.

• 1 month later...

Archived