When are transfer funds paid?

I am in March and want to transfer list players but want the finances in next seasons budget. When does the money change hands is it when the deal is done or the date the transfer goes through?

As far as I know your transfer budget is adjusted instantly (subject to the percentage of transfer fee you are set to receive as budget from your board), but the money in the bank doesn't move till the player does (subject to installments etc).

So there is nothing I am aware of you can do to stop it going into this seasons budget, but, if you don't spend it and if you club is reasonably healthy then you could well see it carried over to next season. Of course if your club is in any difficulty or if you are overspending then you can't count on it being carried over as budgets may be cut.

Thanks. Always seems such a waste to get that extra transfer money then lose it if you haven't spent it by the end of the season. I always feel I would rather "waste" it on a less than ideal player rather than give it back to the board but I suppose we are all the same club and they may just give it to me next season. I still have £600K to spend this year which I may splash out on a couple of youth prospects or maybe even move over to the wage budget and extend a few contracts of my better players

You don't "lose" it, as the board re-calculate your budget for next season based on the balance and any projected income. If you sell a bunch of players now, then your balance will be increased and they will take that into consideration the next time they calculate your budget.

I agree with what Kenco says, you don't lose it as you will get it back as long as your clubs finances aren't troublesome. TBH, if it is troublesome then you probably won't receive a high percentage of the fee into your budget in the first place, further reducing your tangible 'loss'.

I still have £600K to spend this year which I may splash out on a couple of youth prospects or maybe even move over to the wage budget and extend a few contracts of my better players

I'm not sure £600K warrant a splash ;)

You don't "lose" it, as the board re-calculate your budget for next season based on the balance and any projected income. If you sell a bunch of players now, then your balance will be increased and they will take that into consideration the next time they calculate your budget.

I seem to remember one season I didn't use all my budget expecting it to be carried over but I ended up with a budget less than even the carry over figure hence the reason for me wanting to get a difinitive on this

I'm not sure £600K warrant a splash ;)

When you have spent years building up an unknown, almost Sunday league team, to the heady heights of Serie B then believe me £600k IS splashing. I think the most I have ever spent to date on a single player is about £400k so I reckon I can afford at least 2 future stars for £600k and still probably have enough change for a backup Striker!!

At that level you can also convert it all to wage budget and mop up lots of players (including talented youngsters) the game illogically releases.

Well, it do happen irl that talented youngsters leave on a free. Probably not because the player wasn't offered a contract, though, rather a deal couldn't be negotiated. Maybe that's what happens in FM as well. Several posts do complain about outrageous wage demands by youngsters :)

Archived