Unrealistic expectations

So my rant is about performing above the expectations in the first season leading to higher and unrealistic expectations in the second.

I somehow managed to Finish 8th with Norwich after my first season while the board only wanted me to stay in the league.

Starting the second season the board wanted top half as a minimum requirement or euro \ cl if i'm more ambitious.

Pretty difficult task as no big funds were made available (around 10M), no big names want to join me yet, and still on paper my squad is not nearly as good as Southampton, Everton, Newcastle, Liverpool or Swansea.

10 games through players got frustrated as the team was 'under performing' at 14th place and I haven't been able to make any marquee signings.

Got the boot before December when I was 13th.

I wonder what would have happened if I had finished 15th in my first season ..

Anyway, pretty frustrated about this. I'm not against being ambitious but no way this could happen in real life.

I don't think West Brom are expecting to be fighting for the title or cl spot because they had a good season in 2012 ...

This is all part of modern football mate. Look at how many managers get sacked now for 'over achieving' the year before. Some managers get teams promoted when they weren't expected to and then get sacked in the Premier League, a few others have taken teams towards the top of the league and then either lose their job or some under criticism when they fall away. Think of Alan Pardew last season, the year before they came 6th or whatever, last season they struggled and he was close to being sacked.

To be a victim of your own success is very much like real life.

*cough* Nigel Adkins *cough cough*

I'd also add Billy Davies, tough break for him at Derby County.

In my first season in the Scottish Premier, probably half the teams in the top 10 rolled their coaches out the door. Motherwell offered me their open position (twice the pay and a bigger budget) but I turned it down, because the average coach term-of-service for them was 8 months. Now my board's got me locked into a 4-year contract, so I'd really have to mess things up for them to cut me loose. Which I'm certainly capable of...

Archived