Skill decline from perfection?

I have been playing the New York Red Bulls on my current save and I noticed Thierry Henry has had a decline in his penalty shot skill. While I understand he is past his prime, he is 3/3 on the season for penalty shots and he is LOSING skill? How is this possible? Skill declining due to old age even though he has been perfect on the season? I just don't get it. I am still in the first season so he is currently 34 years old.

It depends on their position, but generally, the more attacking they are, the earlier they peak (for example a striker will peak at age 27-29, whereas a goalkeeper can peak between 32 and 35 and then start to decline - note this is a general rule and doesn't apply to everyone, and players can begin to peak at age 24 but not decline until age 33, for example.)

Their natural fitness will determine how quickly they decline.

It depends on their position, but generally, the more attacking they are, the earlier they peak (for example a striker will peak at age 27-29, whereas a goalkeeper can peak between 32 and 35 and then start to decline - note this is a general rule and doesn't apply to everyone, and players can begin to peak at age 24 but not decline until age 33, for example.)

Their natural fitness will determine how quickly they decline.

My players all seem to peak around 23 and begin to decline around 25. :/ Perhaps that is due to my team only being semi-pro though. What I find odd is that natural fitness can improve in the game. You'd think natural fitness would be an unmovable attribute since you're either naturally fit or you're not (strength and stamina would be more so the fluctuating attributes). As for something such as penalty kicks. You'd think that would be something that would never decline unless your strength declines. Even then, you'd think most players would be able to kick penalties into their 50s if need be.

If you play them enough early enough, you can get them to peak at around 20/21 at any level. I've only rarely seen players start to deteriorate at 25, and that's usually down to poor attitude or misuse. I've never played with a semi-pro club, so that could be possible.

Natural Fitness is mostly unmoveable. It tends to improve a little over time but usually not by more than a couple of attribute points.

If you play them enough early enough, you can get them to peak at around 20/21 at any level. I've only rarely seen players start to deteriorate at 25, and that's usually down to poor attitude or misuse. I've never played with a semi-pro club, so that could be possible.

Natural Fitness is mostly unmoveable. It tends to improve a little over time but usually not by more than a couple of attribute points.

This was uber frustrating early on. Id have these kids with 20s all over the shop, and the scout would tell me that he's 3 star with potential of 5. And that he can improve in the future. And I think this kid is going to be an absolute beast! A couple of weeks down the line, the scout rates him at 3.5 stars and he's reached his potential! :(

I did not know that. I am incapable of signing better players for some reason (even with being in the Premier Division). Therefore I always try to find 1 or 1.5 star current ability players with 4 to 5 star potential. I always thought the best way to get them to achieve that ability is to play them often even if it means potentially sacrificing a couple games due to having a slightly inferior player on my squad. I also find though that when I get extra players with similar abilities, if I loan them out, leave them on my U19 team/reserves team, then they never grow anywhere near their potential. What is the solution? Perhaps the problem is that my youth training facilities are, "basic," if I remember properly and my actual training facilities are "fairly basic." I've tried upgrading the training facilities and actually had them approved, but the board canceled it due to stadium expansion. Though in the long run, that will clearly allow me to upgrade facilities at an even faster rate as I'm making far more money than I ever have even if only 1800 seats were added.

• 1 month later...

Archived