Is it possible to have two playmakers?

The title may be a little misleading, so please allow me to explain.

I started a new save with A.S. Roma. I've not tested it yet, but I intend to line up with a rather unorthodox 5-1-3-1 system with Daniele De Rossi playing in the defensive midfield strata as a Deep Lying Playmaker, while I'd like Francesco Totti to play in the attacking midfield strata as a Trequartista. I'd like De Rossi to dictate the tempo from the back, and Totti to do the same in the final third. However, as we are well aware, the user can only assign one Playmaker. My question then is this: If I set De Rossi as the assigned Playmaker, and I set Totti as the assigned Target Man receiving the ball to feet, is this tantamount to having two playmakers? When my defenders have the ball, I want them to pick out De Rossi. When my other midfielders have the ball, I want them to pick out Totti who is playing along side two other attacking midfielders. I suppose the question boils down to this really: Does the Target Man assignment work only on players in the striker strata? What, I wonder, would be the implications of assigning your left back as the Target Man for example? This is a more a question of the game's core mechanics or coding than it is philosophical or theoretical, so I ask—politely of course—that you only answer the question if you know unequivocally how the game handles these functions—though I'm flexible and open-minded enough that if you think you know unequivocally, I won't package a nice little malware gift and send it your way. Joking. It's a joke.

Archived