Struggling badly against teams who press.

Hi Guys

I'm back into this game after a 5 year break and its taken many hours to get used to it all. It' so different. Anyhow I'm finally getting the hang of it and results are starting to go my way but I have one major problem. I don't know what to do against teams who play a pressing game. Doesn't matter who they are they strangle the life out of my team and I struggle to gain territory in their half. I'm happy with my formation, roles and duties, its pretty much a TC creation, I just want to know what group of shouts to use against teams who play a pressing game?

It depends in all honesty on how you've set up, without knowing much more about the roles and duties I could be advising wrong as each shape handles pressing differently imo.

Somethings you can do though is if you think your players are getting pressed to quickly when on the ball you could use the 'pass into space' shout to encourage more through balls. This way the player is more likely to run onto the ball and get beyond his marker. It's really useful against sides who press heavily and don't give players time on the ball as it doesn't require the ball to be played at their feet.

If the are compact you could look to create space by focusing passing down the flanks and looking for the overlap.

But it really does depend on how you've set up so I can only be vague when trying to help you :)

Thanks Cleon. I'm set up as a 4-3-3 (according to the game) but its more of a 4-1-2-2-1 which is setup as follows: -

FB D

CD D

CD C

FB S

DLP S

BWM D

BBM S

INSIDE FWD A

WINGER S

DLF A

Hope that makes sense.

I have opted for more direct passing and drilled crosses but apart from that everything else is default. I tend to start games with 'work ball into box' shout only and use other shouts as needed depending on how the game pans out.

The formation, roles and duties have taken me time to perfect and they are working well now, I just struggle badly against teams who press. Please advise and save my day :)

What changes do you normally do or shouts you apply when trying to combat high pressing?

Have you tried to match them and press high as well?

Who are you playing as? If a team is pressing you regular then I take it you're not a top side?

I'm Doncaster in league one. We're one of the higher reputation teams and I tend to face pressing in 50% of my games which is why I have finished the last 3 season mid table when I really should be finishing higher. Thank goodness for a patient chairman :)

The shouts I usually use to combat it are drop deeper, play wider, get ball forward and play into space. Where am I going wrong?

If you are dropping deep to create time and space then using the get the ball forward shout can go against what you are trying to do at times because it increases passing length and tempo for the team. So while you are dropping deep you are forcing rushed play too meaning you won't have the space or time you've tried to create.

The shouts I use when this happens to me and I can't match them and press them myself would be;

Stand-Off Opponents – Changes marking to loose zonal, reduces closing down drastically and decreases tempo. When you play a technically superior side and don’t want players to get skinned you’d use this shout to ensure you keep your defensive shape and don’t allow gaps to appear which the opposition could exploit.

Pass Into Space - This is one of my favourite shouts to use especially if I am struggling to break down the opposition. It increases through balls so the players pass the ball in front of the receiver so he can run onto the ball. It’s great for creating space and forcing the opposition’s players to try and make a tackle.

The depending on if the opposition are playing wide/narrow I'd choose one of the following;

Play Wider – Instructs the players to play wider and to focus passing down both flanks. If the opposition are playing narrow it can be used to try and stretch them wider. Extremely useful if the midfield is cramped and you are outnumbered.

Play Narrower - You focus passing through the centre and decrease width. I find it best used when the opposition are outnumbered and leaving holes through the centre. It’s also useful if you want to pack the midfield and become more solid to get through.

If you want to match them and press them though then I'd attempt the following;

We all have games where the opposition is having a lot of possession and you can’t get a hold of the ball. So if you face this scenario then the shouts I would use are;

Push higher up; get stuck in, Hassle opponents.

By pushing higher up you would be reducing the space available to the opposition in which they can pass around in. The get stuck in shout will help be more aggressive and can unsettle the calmness of the opposition players on the ball, in instructs them to tackle harder. And by using hassle opponents shout you’ll be changing to man marking and instructing players to closedown higher up.

In the tactic you posted above you use a BWM. They have really high closing down so can tend to run around like a headless chicken. Now this is great but on the flip side it means he is nearly always dragged out of position. Have you thought about having him as a standard CM/D to stay solid and retain shape? Because you have a midfield 3 so should dominate possession in the middle even if the opposition are pressing you. You have enough bodies to pass it about and retain possession if needs be.

I actually did a thread with Sheffield United in League One. Now I know the shape differs but we have a similar rep and expectation. I wrote about what I did in every single game in League One, you might find that useful and to give you some ideas. It can be found here;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/352483-The-Chalkboard-Diaries

Thanks Cleon. Superb as always. I will give the CM role a go. Hadn't thought of that and the shouts you offered were exactly what I was after.

I don't consider requesting advise as cheating. Its just normal chit chat between managers that goes on in real life. I'm just lucky that I've received advise from the Sir Alex of the FM world ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would update you. Since asking for your advice I have gone on to secure promotion to the championship via the playoffs. After 3 consecutive mid table finishes I'm ecstatic at the advances we have made and want to thank your for your invaluable advice.

On the last day of the season there were 4 teams separated by 1 point and I (Doncaster Rovers) was away to Sheffield United on the final day of the season. This is a big game anyway being a Yorkshire derby but being the last day of the season with them top, me a point behind in third and with the title, promotion and a playoff spot at stake it was huge. TV camera's and a 32,000 sell out crowd for a league one game ensured. Unfortunately I lost it 1-0 and thanks to results elsewhere finished 4th just 1 point behind the promoted teams.

In the playoff's I had a 2 legged affair against MK Dons. It was a tight nervy affair in the first leg finishing 1-1. With the clock ticking down to the final whistle of the second leg and the game balanced at 0-0 my maligned striker, Will Keane, finally showed his promise by turning his defender and hitting an unstoppable shot across the goalkeeper into the far corner of the net. Timed at 90+2 it gave no chance for a MK Dons comeback and we were into the playoff final where we met Crewe.

The large open playing surface of Wembley was a dream for my talented creative players and Crewe couldn't get near us all game. We won 3-0 in one of the most one sided games of our season and against the team who had beaten us 6-1 at our place early on in the season. It was in fact that result that prompted me to come on here and ask for advice in the first place so many thanks for helping me turn my team around and gain promotion to the championship :)

I'm so glad you lost to Sheffield United :D

In all seriousness though it's nice to see you've turned your game around though and managed to outplay the team who hammered you 6-1. That must have been pleasing for you to have some kind of revenge.

Good luck for the new season :)

Archived