The Npower Leagues thread - sponsored by British Gas.

Plainlayzee

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah so it is.

Very good update there and good to see you doing so well. Plet is someone that I tried to sign at the end of season 1 but he rejected me and signed for some dodgy sounded Dutch club. I probably won't go back for him now with Martin and Russell having fees paid for them.

How are your finances at the moment, are they improving much? Do you think you can sneak into the play offs?

Cheers mate. I think you missed a good 'un in Plet but your boys are doing fine. Martin always seems to get a few playing for AI teams so you should get goals out of him.

Regarding Russell, I took him on a Bosman but he hasn't really done much (four goals in the league and one in the cup) and it's normally a two from three pick out of him, Leon Clarke and Dan Holman for my bench. With two more first team strikers coming in the summer, I'm yet to decide whether to sell him on for £1m+ or keep him and see how it goes. I'm actually training him up in areas suited to playing LM as my first team picks there (Obita and Meleg) are both on loan and I won't be able to afford to sign them permanently. With Russell's heading and finishing skills, I think he may be able to offer me something from that deeper left-hand side. The fact that he is British and not on loan also makes me tempted to give him that further chance to impress.

I have a few fringe players to move on which should reduce my wage bill ahead of next season and ultimately I want to get to a point where we only require a couple of loanees. Much of my midfield flair comes from the flanks, but is not my own at the moment, so every summer you have to 're-build' that part of the side. Luckily I have been able to have Obita on loan for the first few seasons as he has been excellent. Some of the signings I made when times were tough are really not good enough for me anymore (Armiche, Perovuo and possibly Holman) but they were all valuable signings that didn't let me down. I'm also pleased that HG youngsters like Cyrus Christie and Jordan Clarke are doing so well as my FB's, and Conor Thomas is coming on very nicely. Leon Clarke and Franck Moussa are still in my first team squad and I'm looking for Daniels, Wilson and a couple more 'originals' to feature a bit more next term.

I think I'm just about breaking even on my finances, so I'm happy with that. It's possible we may make the PO's which would be a major achievement (media predicted 21st), but I'm not sure if promotion would be best for the club now, as another season at this level may help us long-term. It's also hard planning on player recruitment, as I don't want to bring in players who are not quite good enough for the PL.

I would suggest that you give Russell more of a chance mate. Him playing as either an attacking striker or deep lying with someone set to the opposite always seems to work for me. He was playing pretty poorly until I flipped him into an attacking role with McGowan playing deep lying and he has improved.

You are stuck in a similar position to myself when I was at Yeovil - going up would be great, but it can happen too soon. Hopefully you can sneak into the play offs and maybe get promoted, but if you miss out it isn't the end of the world. Build your squad, get some quality added in the summer and you should be good to go next year.

On another note I have just played a quick game at lunch. My away trip to Leeds. We switched a 3-4-1-2 formation, giving Will Hughes the game off due to tiredness. I was hoping I would maybe nick a draw or a narrow victory. What I didn't expect was a 5-0 away win, Shinnie (2) Russell (2) and McGowan with the goals. We could of been 10 up before they even had a touch of the ball. Unbelievable performance, Andy King was amazing in centre mid as was Mason Bennett out on the right wing.

COME ON!!!

Wow, fantastic result there mate. Hughes is gonna be surplus to requirements soon enough :lol:

I'm using 442 with Russell originally starting in the role of DLF(S) alongside Plet AF(A). One part of the partnership is functioning fine, but my young Dutch loanee Romano van der Stoep has performed that duty to much greater effect than Russell for some reason. I'll continue to consider him though, I do want him to come good.

You're spot on about the promotion situation. I'm comfortable whichever way it works out, although the challenges will be vastly different depending on the outcome.

Haha oh no, not a chance he will be!

I followed up the Leeds hammering with a 1-0 home win against Sheffield Wednesday, Shinnie scoring a 90th minute winner. This then went down hill quickly, a 3-1 loss at Charlton was a worry, then we lost 3-1 to West Ham. A 2-1 home win against Coventry gave us more hope and we followed this by a 1-0 win at Wolves.

We seem to of lost form, Russell and Martin are both just having shockers, they are getting awful ratings every single game and failing to score more than often! I don't know what's gone wrong. They were amazing early season and now they are both just awful. More than likely that when Rob Hulse is back fit he will be in the starting 11. Then again, it seems most of the team is off form, Hughes hasn't got higher than a 7 in his last 5 games, neither has Scott Wootton who has been consistently getting a 7-8 rating for the last 20 odd games. It might be time for a tactical change if performances don't improve.

As for your Cov save Jogo, if you go up think of the money....if you stay down you can build and be in a better position to go up next time - win-win situation.

**END OF SEASON**

So I have been off work for 2 days and therefore played an awful lot of games. Too many to give a game by game update on, but I will try an sum up the season in brief.

Firstly and most importantly we are champions! We finished the season top of the league with 92 points, 4 more than second placed Blackburn. It was tight all season, Reading were also in the mix and lead the way for some time, but a good end to the season saw us overtake the rest and we took the title on the last day.

The FA cup saw us reach the 6th road. After getting through the first round easily, we faced Blackburn in the 4th round and after a reply secured a draw against Arsenal. They fielded what I will call a 'mixed' team. The likes of Cazorla and Whilshire played but so did a very young back 4. Will Hughes decided to put his name up in lights with 2 goals and an assist as we won 3-0 at the Emerites! Amazing performance. We went out in the next round however with a reply defeat to Hull which was a shame considering how well we had been playing.

Top scorers : Johnny Russell came good and scored 23 goals in 43 games. Chris Martin also got 18 in 43 and Hughes 13 in 43. Hughes got a season rating of 7.69 which was amazing.

Sorry if this is all a bit rushed, there is so much to put down I would be here all day.

Wow, that's some impressive form and congratulations. Something obviously clicked since your previous update and healthy totals from your strikers in the end made the difference.

Now comes the challenge of making the squad PL quality, probably the hardest challenge in the game given the budgets 'promoted' teams get given and their reputations.

Wow, that's some impressive form and congratulations. Something obviously clicked since your previous update and healthy totals from your strikers in the end made the difference.

Now comes the challenge of making the squad PL quality, probably the hardest challenge in the game given the budgets 'promoted' teams get given and their reputations.

Thanks mate,

I moved Johnny Russell to be playing poacher and Martin as DLP and they started scoring goals for fun. Russell scored 12 goals in just 5 games one month towards the end of the season!!

God help me in the prem. It is all about building the squad around Will Hughes again. If I can get him to perform who knows what might happen.

Last season we lost 8 games, draw 11 and won the rest, conceding only 53 goals in 46 games....I can't see that happening this year!

So far, 3 signings. I will reveal who when I do a full update but we are struggling slightly to get bodies in through the door. I might just save, have a think and come back to it tomorrow I think.

Ah, that's interesting about Russell. For Martin do you mean DLP or DLF? Next season will be tough for sure - good luck with your planning.

At Coventry, we are approaching our all-important 46th league game in our 3rd season. This should take place tonight, and here is the April 2015 update:

Match 40, Saturday 4th April 2015: Coventry 3-0 Peterborough (van der Stoep 25, Thomas 86 & 90)

A comfortable home win, but we needed a couple of late goals from central midfield substitute Thomas to add the gloss. A very satisfactory day, and still in the hunt for promotion.

Match 41, Monday 6th April 2015: Coventry 1-5 Leeds (Mezga 79)

Being Easter, we hosted table-topping Leeds a few days later in optimistic mood. We went a goal down after 40 minutes, they added the second on the stroke of half-time with a penalty, and others after 71 & 75 minutes. We notched a consolation after 79, but they finished it off in style with a fifth in stoppage time. Shocking result - are hopes about to fade?

Match 42, Saturday 11th April 2015: Bristol City 0-1 Coventry (Plet 85)

Impressive bouncebackability and a much-improved display. Solid in defence, and capped off with a late winner from Plet, our striking talisman. Massive win keeps us in contention.

Match 43, Tuesday 14th April 2015: Middlesbro 1-0 Coventry

Literally a damp squib on a wet evening up North as we lost out to a goal midway through the second half to lowly Boro. Inconsistency creeping in at the wrong time, we drop to 7th.

Match 44, Saturday 18th April 2015: Coventry 2-0 Nottingham Forest (Obita 12, Plet 49)

The players give the manager the perfect gift on his birthday with a superb home win against our Midlands rivals. Orbita shines again, and Plet notches his 24th league goal. Up to 6th.

Match 45, Friday 24th April 2015: Coventry 0-0 Huddersfield

We hosted 2nd-placed Town and played very well, controlling the game and making plenty of chances. Visitors hold out for a point and we initially edge in to 5th after a good display. However, the game was brought forward a day for TV, and rivals Derby and Burnley had games in hand on Saturday. Burnley win but Derby suffer a shock home defeat to relegation-threatened Peterborough, and we surprisngly pushed up a place in to 4th on GD.

Match 46, Saturday 2nd May 2015: Wolves v Coventry

Our final match of the regular season is at the home of another Midlands rival, as we prepare to take on 9th-placed Wolves. The men from Molineux just defeated the champions Leeds at Elland Road in their last match though, and won't be a pushover on their own patch. Most of our players are fit, but the league table below shows how tight it will be - we can finish anywhere between 2nd and 8th, depending on the results of the day.

npowerChampionship_OverviewStages-6_zpsac62b75f.png

Ah, that's interesting about Russell. For Martin do you mean DLP or DLF? Next season will be tough for sure - good luck with your planning.

At Coventry, we are approaching our all-important 46th league game in our 3rd season. This should take place tonight, and here is the April 2015 update:

Match 40, April 4th 2015: Coventry 3-0 Peterborough (van der Stoep 25, Thomas 86 & 90)

A comfortable home win, but we needed a couple of late goals from central midfield substitute Thomas to add the gloss. A very satisfactory day, and still in the hunt for promotion.

Match 41, Monday 6th April 2015: Coventry 1-5 Leeds (Mezga 79)

Being Easter, we hosted table-topping Leeds a few days later in optimistic mood. We went a goal down after 40 minutes, they added the second on the stroke of half-time with a penalty, and others after 71 & 75 minutes. We notched a consolation after 79, but they finished it off in style with a fifth in stoppage time. Shocking result - are hopes about to fade?

Match 42, Saturday 11th April 2015: Bristol City 0-1 Coventry (Plet 85)

Impressive bouncebackability and a much-improved display. Solid in defence, and capped off with a late winner from Plet, our striking talisman. Massive win keeps us in contention.

Match 43, Tuesday 14th April 2015: Middlesbro 1-0 Coventry

Literally a damp squib on a wet evening up North as we lost out to a goal midway through the second half to lowly Boro. Inconsistency creeping in at the wrong time, we drop to 7th.

Match 44, Saturday 18th April 2015: Coventry 2-0 Nottingham Forest (Obita 12, Plet 49)

The players give the manager the perfect gift on his birthday with a superb home win against our Midlands rivals. Orbita shines again, and Plet notches his 24th league goal. Up to 6th.

Match 45, Friday 24th April 2015: Coventry 0-0 Huddersfield

We hosted 2nd-placed Town and played very well, controlling the game and making plenty of chances. Visitors hold out for a point and we initially edge in to 5th after a good display. However, the game was brought forward a day for TV, and rivals Derby and Burnley had games in hand on Saturday. Burnley win but Derby suffer a shock home defeat to relegation-threatened Peterborough, and we surprisngly pushed up a place in to 4th on GD.

Match 46, Saturday 2nd May 2015: Wolves v Coventry

Our final match of the regular season is at the home of another Midlands rival, as we prepare to take on 9th-placed Wolves. The men from Molineux just defeated the champions Leeds at Elland Road in their last match though, and won't be a pushover on their own patch. Most of our players are fit, but the league table below shows how tight it will be - we can finish anywhere between 2nd and 8th, depending on the results of the day.

npowerChampionship_OverviewStages-6_zpsac62b75f.png

Good luck!!

Match 46, Saturday 2nd May 2015: Wolves 1-5 Coventry (van der Stoep 5, Obita 13 & 78, Mezga 51, Mezague 76). Attendance 29,249

Despite having only 40% possession and less shots than them (11 v 13) our typical counter-attacking style paid off handsomely, with 8/11 shots being on target, and five of them counting.

We took a 5th minute lead, created when Plet raced through the middle. His fierce shot was palmed back in to the path of van der Stoep, and the youngster buried the rebound (0-1). Wolves hit back to level via Davis from a corner after 10 minutes (1-1), but we quickly regained the advantage as Orbita charged through the middle to slot home in cool fashion after 13 minutes (1-2).

From then on, we never looked back. Mezga added a third after 51 minutes (1-3), Mezague slotted home from close range after a 76th minute Orbita fee kick (1-4), and Orbita wrapped it up himself by rifling home his second after 78 minutes (1-5).

The only downside was an injury to star striker Plet (48 minutes), which forced him off. We discovered that he had suffered broken ribs and would be out for 4-5 weeks. It’s a major blow to lose the man who has started all 46 league matches this season, netting 24 goals (no pens) and adding 15 assists.

Due to this incredible performance, seven of our team were named in the league’s team of the week (RB: Christie, LB: J Clarke, CB: Mezague, LM: Obita, CM: Hughes, RM: Mezga, ST: van der Stoep). I find it ironic that Plet had been forced off early and was unable to feature in this fantastic achievement.

Other significant results on this final day: Huddersfield 2-1 Charlton (Huddersfield promoted), Nottm Forest 0-1 QPR, Wigan 0-3 Derby, Brentford 0-1 West Ham, Millwall 1-3 Hull. For some reason Burnley play their final match three days later than everyone else, and the result is Peterborough 0-1 Burnley. So, incredibly, every one of the teams in contention (behind champions Leeds) won their last match. It proved crucial that we had won ours as otherwise we would have fallen two points short and in 7th place. You can see from the final table just how tight it was up there.

npowerChampionship_OverviewStages-7_zps6f9e6178.png

Play-Off Semi Final (1st Leg), Friday 8th May 2015: Derby 0-0 Coventry. Attendance 33,455.

Due to the disaster with Plet, Russell was given a rare starting chance as we made the short trip to Pride Park. He hadn’t scored for 404 minutes so was under pressure to deliver, but we made no other changes as our traditional 442 took on their 41221. Semi-final 2 was also an East/West affair, but this time in London as West Ham hosted QPR.

Buoyed by our last outing we started confidently. After 23 minutes, a deep Mezga free-kick was met by a looping header from Mezague, but joy turned to despair as it was harshly disallowed, apparently for off-side. The first half was devoid of any other chances, and we reached HT safely at 0-0 and in control of the tie.

Highlights were in short supply in the second period too, although a second yellow card for their winger (George) as he challenged in our box gave us a small numerical advantage late on. Fearful of the sucker punch though, we kept our traditional shape and strategy, and saw out a comfortable 0-0 so we could head back to the West Midlands in a strong position.

Coventry (442): Ryan; Christie, Mezague, McCarthy, J Clarke; Mezga, Ness, Hughes, Obita; van der Stoep, Russell. Subs (not used): Edjenguele, Kennedy, Thomas, Meleg, Allione, L Clarke, Holman.

The Derby line-up included three ex-City boys: the oft-mentioned Keogh in defence and ex-loanee Bailey in midfield both started. On the bench was Ball, whose loan to us I had terminated in one of my first actions after taking on the Coventry job three seasons ago.

The other SF first leg result was West Ham 1-3 QPR, so the West Londoners were clear favourites to progress there.

Play-Off Semi Final (2nd Leg), Tuesday 12th May 2015: Coventry 2–2 Derby. Attendance 32,609.

We had escaped any further injuries, so apart from Plet, we were at full strength for the return leg. I wanted continuity so named an unchanged team, but fit-again Redah Atassi replaced the soon-departing Edjenguele on the bench.

We started strongly as had often been the case. After 9 minutes a cross by Obita from the left had been cleared to the edge of the box, the dynamic Mezga headed it back in to the box, and teenage sensation van der Stoep was able to out-jump the keeper to nod us in to the lead (1-0).

Two minutes later, after some neat inter-changes down the left, Obita powered towards the box, played a one-two with Russell, and fired low in to the corner to double our lead with a trademark finish (2-0).

After 32 minutes though, we were punished for some sloppy play. Our own attack broke down with a poor touch from van der Stoep, and Derby surged forward, held off our challenges, and fired home an important away goal courtesy of Sammon (2-1). I wasn’t impressed at handing them hope, but again few other chances were being created by either team so we still held our advantage at the break.

I told the lads they had done OK but there was room for improvement. However, after 49 minutes the visitors drew level as a scramble in the box after a corner resulted in a close-range diving header from Lelan deflecting in via one of our defenders. Game on as the aggregate scores are now 2-2!

Somewhat surprisingly, neither team created any more chances for the remainder of the match, so we had to make some tough decisions as we headed for extra time. I decided the tired van der Stoep needed a rest, and Hughes was one of several whose condition wasn’t looking good. Leon Clarke and Thomas were their respective replacements, and I hoped the fresh legs would do the trick.

I told the lads that I wasn’t sure how they were not winning, as they had been playing very well, and this seemed to motivate most of them. Obita became severely fatigued by the interval of the extra period, so I made my final change, bringing on Meleg to replace the flair on the left flank.

I had assumed that we would be out on away goals, as the match petered out with no more chances. However, I found that I was wrong, and we went to penalties. Unfortunately, I had taken off my penalty king (Hughes) and left my second best taker (Holman) on the bench. So now we had to just hope for some good fortune as I nominated Meleg to take the first kick.

Our on-loan wide-man calmly converted (1-0) but so did Ward (1-1). Mezga was next (saved, oh no) and would you believe, Keogh put them 2-1 up. Russell stepped up next to end his goal drought and bring us back in to it - saved again, and still 1-2. But luckily for us, Bryson hit one down the middle and saw Ryan palm it away, so still 2-1 to them but a lifeline for us. Leon Clarke – no problem, goal (2-2). Bailey, another of my old boys playing against me, trickles it in to the corner (2-3). Ness was next up, under pressure, but delivered a nice finish (3-3). This presented Sammon with a chance to win it for them. Our ‘keeper dives the right way, but the ball is hammered past him anyway, and that’s it, we are down and out. Derby win 4-3 on penalties.

Coventry (442): Ryan; Christie, Mezague, McCarthy, J Clarke; Mezga, Ness, Hughes (Thomas 90), Obita (Meleg 106); van der Stoep (L Clarke 90), Russell. Subs (not used): Atassi, Kennedy, Allione, Holman.

Our dream is over, and in cruel fashion – at least for this season. There are regrets for sure. The critical absence of Plet, the inability to hold that 2-0 lead, and maybe the wrong substitutions - particularly regarding the penalty taking experts. It’s raw right now, but I was still proud of my boys. The media had tipped us to finish 21st after our 20th-place finish the season before, so to finish 4th and get so close to Wembley was a fantastic effort.

For several years we had been selling most of our prized assets to generate cash, we were quite restricted in the market still, but I had made some excellent signings this season and they had - almost without exception, Mr. Russell - done the business when called upon. We had entertained our fans with an exciting brand of attacking football and with plenty of goals.

Looking ahead, we are now more stable, and have tied up a few more new players with potential for next season, including the permanent deal for the unfortunate Plet. We will lose a few heads, and some of our loan stars are probably going to be out of our reach for next season too, but we are making progress. Hopefully, discussions with the board will allow adequate finances to be made available for another crack at it.

That said, I’m not sure about Sky Blue right now - there are some pretty heavy dark clouds hovering above our heads. I said I wasn't too worried if we did not make it up this season, but right now, I'm extremely disappointed to have come so close and fallen at the penultimate hurdle when we had such a great chance within our grasp. I'm definitely going to be back for more next season though: stronger, better and more determined than ever.

For what it’s worth, QPR lost 3-2 after extra time in their home return against West Ham, but just about did enough to get through to the final. That one hasn't been played at this stage, but to be honest I hope they stuff Derby now.

Match 46, Saturday 2nd May 2015: Wolves 1-5 Coventry (van der Stoep 5, Obita 13 & 78, Mezga 51, Mezague 76). Attendance 29,249

Despite having only 40% possession and less shots than them (11 v 13) our typical counter-attacking style paid off handsomely, with 8/11 shots being on target, and five of them counting.

We took a 5th minute lead, created when Plet raced through the middle. His fierce shot was palmed back in to the path of van der Stoep, and the youngster buried the rebound (0-1). Wolves hit back to level via Davis from a corner after 10 minutes (1-1), but we quickly regained the advantage as Orbita charged through the middle to slot home in cool fashion after 13 minutes (1-2).

From then on, we never looked back. Mezga added a third after 51 minutes (1-3), Mezague slotted home from close range after a 76th minute Orbita fee kick (1-4), and Orbita wrapped it up himself by rifling home his second after 78 minutes (1-5).

The only downside was an injury to star striker Plet (48 minutes), which forced him off. We discovered that he had suffered broken ribs and would be out for 4-5 weeks. It’s a major blow to lose the man who has started all 46 league matches this season, netting 24 goals (no pens) and adding 15 assists.

Due to this incredible performance, seven of our team were named in the league’s team of the week (RB: Christie, LB: J Clarke, CB: Mezague, LM: Obita, CM: Hughes, RM: Mezga, ST: van der Stoep). I find it ironic that Plet had been forced off early and was unable to feature in this fantastic achievement.

Other significant results on this final day: Huddersfield 2-1 Charlton (Huddersfield promoted), Nottm Forest 0-1 QPR, Wigan 0-3 Derby, Brentford 0-1 West Ham, Millwall 1-3 Hull. For some reason Burnley play their final match three days later than everyone else, and the result is Peterborough 0-1 Burnley. So, incredibly, every one of the teams in contention (behind champions Leeds) won their last match. It proved crucial that we had won ours as otherwise we would have fallen two points short and in 7th place. You can see from the final table just how tight it was up there.

npowerChampionship_OverviewStages-7_zps6f9e6178.png

Play-Off Semi Final (1st Leg), Friday 8th May 2015: Derby 0-0 Coventry. Attendance 33,455.

Due to the disaster with Plet, Russell was given a rare starting chance as we made the short trip to Pride Park. He hadn’t scored for 404 minutes so was under pressure to deliver, but we made no other changes as our traditional 442 took on their 41221. Semi-final 2 was also an East/West affair, but this time in London as West Ham hosted QPR.

Buoyed by our last outing we started confidently. After 23 minutes, a deep Mezga free-kick was met by a looping header from Mezague, but joy turned to despair as it was harshly disallowed, apparently for off-side. The first half was devoid of any other chances, and we reached HT safely at 0-0 and in control of the tie.

Highlights were in short supply in the second period too, although a second yellow card for their winger (George) as he challenged in our box gave us a small numerical advantage late on. Fearful of the sucker punch though, we kept our traditional shape and strategy, and saw out a comfortable 0-0 so we could head back to the West Midlands in a strong position.

Coventry (442): Ryan; Christie, Mezague, McCarthy, J Clarke; Mezga, Ness, Hughes, Obita; van der Stoep, Russell. Subs (not used): Edjenguele, Kennedy, Thomas, Meleg, Allione, L Clarke, Holman.

The Derby line-up included three ex-City boys: the oft-mentioned Keogh in defence and ex-loanee Bailey in midfield both started. On the bench was Ball, whose loan to us I had terminated in one of my first actions after taking on the Coventry job three seasons ago.

The other SF first leg result was West Ham 1-3 QPR, so the West Londoners were clear favourites to progress there.

Play-Off Semi Final (2nd Leg), Tuesday 12th May 2015: Coventry 2–2 Derby. Attendance 32,609.

We had escaped any further injuries, so apart from Plet, we were at full strength for the return leg. I wanted continuity so named an unchanged team, but fit-again Redah Atassi replaced the soon-departing Edjenguele on the bench.

We started strongly as had often been the case. After 9 minutes a cross by Obita from the left had been cleared to the edge of the box, the dynamic Mezga headed it back in to the box, and teenage sensation van der Stoep was able to out-jump the keeper to nod us in to the lead (1-0).

Two minutes later, after some neat inter-changes down the left, Obita powered towards the box, played a one-two with Russell, and fired low in to the corner to double our lead with a trademark finish (2-0).

After 32 minutes though, we were punished for some sloppy play. Our own attack broke down with a poor touch from van der Stoep, and Derby surged forward, held off our challenges, and fired home an important away goal courtesy of Sammon (2-1). I wasn’t impressed at handing them hope, but again few other chances were being created by either team so we still held our advantage at the break.

I told the lads they had done OK but there was room for improvement. However, after 49 minutes the visitors drew level as a scramble in the box after a corner resulted in a close-range diving header from Lelan deflecting in via one of our defenders. Game on as the aggregate scores are now 2-2!

Somewhat surprisingly, neither team created any more chances for the remainder of the match, so we had to make some tough decisions as we headed for extra time. I decided the tired van der Stoep needed a rest, and Hughes was one of several whose condition wasn’t looking good. Leon Clarke and Thomas were their respective replacements, and I hoped the fresh legs would do the trick.

I told the lads that I wasn’t sure how they were not winning, as they had been playing very well, and this seemed to motivate most of them. Obita became severely fatigued by the interval of the extra period, so I made my final change, bringing on Meleg to replace the flair on the left flank.

I had assumed that we would be out on away goals, as the match petered out with no more chances. However, I found that I was wrong, and we went to penalties. Unfortunately, I had taken off my penalty king (Hughes) and left my second best taker (Holman) on the bench. So now we had to just hope for some good fortune as I nominated Meleg to take the first kick.

Our on-loan wide-man calmly converted (1-0) but so did Ward (1-1). Mezga was next (saved, oh no) and would you believe, Keogh put them 2-1 up. Russell stepped up next to end his goal drought and bring us back in to it - saved again, and still 1-2. But luckily for us, Bryson hit one down the middle and saw Ryan palm it away, so still 2-1 to them but a lifeline for us. Leon Clarke – no problem, goal (2-2). Bailey, another of my old boys playing against me, trickles it in to the corner (2-3). Ness was next up, under pressure, but delivered a nice finish (3-3). This presented Sammon with a chance to win it for them. Our ‘keeper dives the right way, but the ball is hammered past him anyway, and that’s it, we are down and out. Derby win 4-3 on penalties.

Coventry (442): Ryan; Christie, Mezague, McCarthy, J Clarke; Mezga, Ness, Hughes (Thomas 90), Obita (Meleg 106); van der Stoep (L Clarke 90), Russell. Subs (not used): Atassi, Kennedy, Allione, Holman.

Our dream is over, and in cruel fashion – at least for this season. There are regrets for sure. The critical absence of Plet, the inability to hold that 2-0 lead, and maybe the wrong substitutions - particularly regarding the penalty taking experts. It’s raw right now, but I was still proud of my boys. The media had tipped us to finish 21st after our 20th-place finish the season before, so to finish 4th and get so close to Wembley was a fantastic effort.

For several years we had been selling most of our prized assets to generate cash, we were quite restricted in the market still, but I had made some excellent signings this season and they had - almost without exception, Mr. Russell - done the business when called upon. We had entertained our fans with an exciting brand of attacking football and with plenty of goals.

Looking ahead, we are now more stable, and have tied up a few more new players with potential for next season, including the permanent deal for the unfortunate Plet. We will lose a few heads, and some of our loan stars are probably going to be out of our reach for next season too, but we are making progress. Hopefully, discussions with the board will allow adequate finances to be made available for another crack at it.

That said, I’m not sure about Sky Blue right now - there are some pretty heavy dark clouds hovering above our heads. I said I wasn't too worried if we did not make it up this season, but right now, I'm extremely disappointed to have come so close and fallen at the penultimate hurdle when we had such a great chance within our grasp. I'm definitely going to be back for more next season though: stronger, better and more determined than ever.

For what it’s worth, QPR lost 3-2 after extra time in their home return against West Ham, but just about did enough to get through to the final. That one hasn't been played at this stage, but to be honest I hope they stuff Derby now.

Unbelievable end to the season! Very unlucky there mate. I feel for you, especially losing Plet for the play off games, with him who knows how well you would of done.

What is the plan for next year then? Do you intend to strengthen a lot of trust your squad that got so close to take you one step further and achieve promotion?

Following yesterday's rather brief update, I thought I should get on here and post something a bit 'significant'.

Sorry about the rushed update from last season, I was off work and my game was turned on for pretty much about 9 hours straight and by the time I came to be ready to update I realised I had played through about 9 months!!!

Anyway, the fight to stay in the Premier League.

Where do I start with this one.....firstly my squad I felt was good, it needed more depth, but I was reasonably happy with he quality. In the Championship our defence was pretty solid and if we got the ball to either Will Hughes/Mason Bennett, they generally found Russell and the ball ended out in the net. We had become experts at boring the opposition to death with my attempted 'tika-taka' football, before suddenly springing to life and nicking a goal, then going back to every man behind the ball and holding our lead.

Having reviewed my squad at the end of the season there were clearly quite a few that would be leaving, although most of them were not 'first team' players. Out the door went Mike Pollit (signed as a back up GK in January), Jake Buxton and James O'Connor on free transfers together with a few of the youngsters that you guys will of never heard of. Max Power, a free transfer from Tranmere just 12 months ago, joined big spending Coventry city for 250K. Coventry are now owned by a Spanish billionaire and he is expected to spend 80m on new players!!! They did however get relegated from the Championship back into League One, so no immediate threat to any of my squad. Next our was Daniel Bessa. The young Brazilian hadn't settled in Derby and had been sent home on 3 occasions due to be home sick. Again he was signed on a free 12 months ago and was sold for £100k to Grosseto. Last to leave was Jeff Hendrick. The youngster had struggled to get many first team games, although when he did he hardly took his chances. Making 7 starts and 13 sub appearance's, he only managed an average rating of 6.62. He was sold to Huddersfield for 1m.

Signings were clearly going to play a massive part in our first season in the top flight so I had some serious decisions to make. I didn't want to rip everything up and start again as I felt my formation was working well and the players I had signed suited the formation perfectly. Therefore I decided to bulk up the squad whilst adding some reasonable quality without blowing millions of £.

First in through the door was Celtic's Gary Hooper. The out of contract forward has a clear goal scoring ability and only wanted around 15k per week. Despite being made offers by Stoke and Sunderland, he chose to move to Derby which was brilliant. He will add completion for places up front and hopefully can add some experience to the attack.

Hooper was quickly followed in by Jack Robinson on loan from Liverpool for another season long loan, he will of now spent 2 full seasons and a half season on loan at the Rams and can hopefully continue his significant development at the club. Marek Stech then joined on a free, he will act as a back up to Fielding but may push to start. He was being watched by Dortmund and Leverkausen so clearly had a lot of quality despite only being 24.

Next in through the door was long term target Tom Cairney. I had been trying to sign him since taking over the club and was optimistic that this could be our year to finally get him signed up. A 3m transfer from Hull was completed in July. He will add much needed completion for the centre midfield roles and has the passing ability we require at the top level. He might not start every week, but he will certainly push for a starting place and put some pressure on Ilie and Shinnie to perform regularly.

Ryan Taylor from Newcastle was next to join, again on a season long loan. His experience and ability from dead ball situations would be vital. Plus he can cover a number of positions. We are paying just 40k p/m for him which I thought was reasonable.

Yacine Brahimi was next in. A Algerian had played most of his football in France but was available on a free transfer. He has a fairly sceptical injury record but for quite low wages we are willing to take the chance. Again adds some attacking quality into the team.

We entered deadline day needing both a CB and a centre midfielder, anchor man, to shut up the midfield when we need to. Firstly, I took Jogo's advice and decided to make Teddy Mezague my major target for the day. A 2.5m transfer from Dijon FCO was completed with him only taking 8k per week. He is clearly a quality player and has developed well in the French lower leagues. Not an immediate starter but he will pushing for a first team place and provides cover were we need it. Hopefully I can get him trained up to Premier League level.

Lastly we have pulled off a corker....long (long long) term target Odiquir Agostinho Ca has joined from Barcelona B team. He is someone I spotted when signing Ilie last summer and I have compiled a lot of scout reports to make sure he is the right person. He is young, athletic and can pass a ball. My scout believes he could become a 'leading premier league centre midfielder' in the future. He was signed for just £170k and is on next to nothing in terms of wages. A steel for me who could add some grit and ability to the centre of the team. Clearly not a first teamer just yet, but he will get his chance.

So that sums up my transfer dealing.

We are currently 3 league games and a league cup game into the season.

Our first game of the season was against Norwich. They had just about survived relegation last season but would still be a tricky away fixture. A 2-2 draw wasn't a bad start to life in the premier league. John Brayford and Will Hughes got the goals as we came away feeling quite positive. Next was a home game against fellow promoted team Reading. This is the sort of game we must be winning if we are going to stay in the Premier League. Goals from Gary Hooper and Chris Martin secured a 2-0 win. Pride Park was rocking and we had our first win of the new season.

Next we went to the MK Dons in the League Cup 2nd Round. A tricky away game as they had raced to the top of League One. We fielded a fairly strong team as I thought it would be best to build some partnerships between key players. A 3-1 win followed with Hooper and Martin again getting on the target. Mason Bennett got the MOM for a terrific performance.

Next was an away game to Hull City. Another team who had started the season well, including a 2-1 at home to Man UTD. They had knocked us out of last seasons FA Cup so we wanted revenge. Unfortunately it wasn't to be and we lost 1-0. A pretty dull game that neither team deserved to win but either way we didn't create enough and lacked cutting edge.

Next up are some difficult games. Firstly Leicester at home, they are now an established Premier League team after finishing 15th least season. This could be tricky. This is followed by Cardiff (away) who finished 11th last season.

Tricky games to come but it has been a reasonable start. Hopefully once Johnny Russell is back fit we will look stronger going forward, but at this stage of the season it is just about getting points on the board.

Excellent update Mr. Layzee and I reckon that between us, with our long posts, we have bored everyone else away :lol:

That's a very good start to life in the PL. In Hooper it looks like you have an excelent striker, and your other signings are interesting and different, which I like. I hope Mezague does the business for you. He is valued at £3.2m for me and has remained one of my top players. The fans and board drool over him, he is my captain and only on £4.3k p/w wages too. Not bad for £110k outlay! With Hughes and Bennett continuing to shine, and your new signings, hopefully you will have a solid season there.

It's interesting to hear about Coventry's billionaire owner and budget. Funny how they are set to become big on your Derby game, and how Derby had a major effect on me in my Coventry game!

By the way, I am pleased to say that QPR beat them 2-0 in the PO final here, so they have to fight against me in the Championship again this coming season. Keogh in particular needs to pay for scoring his penalty against us in that shoot-out haha.

I don't want to totally overhaul my squad. We have 7 loanees at the moment and only one of them, Plet, is tied up to make a permanent move. If I can agree new loans for a few of them, I would love too, but I think the fees/wages will be too high for me to sign any of them permanently. I haven't got to the stage where the new budget is set, so it really depends on that. But I have a decent core, and I am hoping that we won't need to add too much. I will definitely need one or two new CB's though, as Paddy McCarthy's loan will end, and Edjenguele is off on a Bosman.

Excellent update Mr. Layzee and I reckon that between us, with our long posts, we have bored everyone else away :lol:

That's a very good start to life in the PL. In Hooper it looks like you have an excelent striker, and your other signings are interesting and different, which I like. I hope Mezague does the business for you. He is valued at £3.2m for me and has remained one of my top players. The fans and board drool over him, he is my captain and only on £4.3k p/w wages too. Not bad for £110k outlay! With Hughes and Bennett continuing to shine, and your new signings, hopefully you will have a solid season there.

It's interesting to hear about Coventry's billionaire owner and budget. Funny how they are set to become big on your Derby game, and how Derby had a major effect on me in my Coventry game!

By the way, I am pleased to say that QPR beat them 2-0 in the PO final here, so they have to fight against me in the Championship again this coming season. Keogh in particular needs to pay for scoring his penalty against us in that shoot-out haha.

I don't want to totally overhaul my squad. We have 7 loanees at the moment and only one of them, Plet, is tied up to make a permanent move. If I can agree new loans for a few of them, I would love too, but I think the fees/wages will be too high for me to sign any of them permanently. I haven't got to the stage where the new budget is set, so it really depends on that. But I have a decent core, and I am hoping that we won't need to add too much. I will definitely need one or two new CB's though, as Paddy McCarthy's loan will end, and Edjenguele is off on a Bosman.

Haha I did think exactly that this morning, where did everyone else go??!! Hopefully a few more join in soon.

Mazague looks promising, his stats are very impressive. TBH I have forgotten all about him but I then went on the player search filter and filtered the players based on what stats I was looking for and he came up again as a recommended signing. I think 2.5m was quite steep, but then if he develops as he has on your game I should have no problems.

Very interesting how each others team are playing an important role on the other persons game. The amusing thing was that Roy Keane declared an interest in the Sunderland job. They subsequently appointed someone else, Keane was sacked by Coventry who then got bought by a billionaire. How I bet Keane wished he had kept his mouth shut!!

You never know Jogo, you might get a billionaire taking over soon. What season are you in now sorry, you are in 4 is that right?

Using the loan market can be very good and a much better option for the finances. If you have a core of say 15/16 players and simply need to bulk the numbers a bit, I find loaning 2 or 3 on low monthly fees is brilliant.

As for Mr Hooper btw, it was him or Charlie Austin. Austin was listed for 4.6m and wanted 19k p/w, Hooper was a free and wanted 15k p/w. Hopefully I made the right decision to go for the cheaper option.

I have worked out that I am about 10m in profit in terms of player sales as well which is good, my wage budget is under control etc so hopefully as the season progresses and we generate extra funds we can spend a bit more on some quality additions.

It's a shame it took a few years to sign Mezague, but I hope you won't be disappointed. At all the clubs I have taken him to, he has always been a star and attained a value of £3m + after a few seasons. Even now, I woud be amazed if you don't get value from him.

I'm sure Hooper will do well, although I always notice Austin is a 20 goals per season man. He is in the England team in my current save - maybe you can get him in too?!? Funny story about Roy Keane. I guess he can always walk his dogs longer and keep his garden tidy now.

Yep, I just finished season 3. I was very happy with my loanees last season, but they filled three out of my four wide midfielder/winger roles, so I do need to see what can be done in those positions. I'd take all three back again to be honest, if budget permits. I'm looking at Russell for the left-sided role as he hasn't performed well in attack. He is seriously close to being made available though, after his missed penalty in the shoot-out followed a long goal drought. I have a couple of strikers coming in that are likely to do a better job than him.

Like you, I am well under my wage budget (for now), and have a transfer profit of millions. It all helps the club long-term. The board are also pleased that I use plenty of our young players.

It's a shame it took a few years to sign Mezague, but I hope you won't be disappointed. At all the clubs I have taken him to, he has always been a star and attained a value of £3m + after a few seasons. Even now, I woud be amazed if you don't get value from him.

I'm sure Hooper will do well, although I always notice Austin is a 20 goals per season man. He is in the England team in my current save - maybe you can get him in too?!? Funny story about Roy Keane. I guess he can always walk his dogs longer and keep his garden tidy now.

Yep, I just finished season 3. I was very happy with my loanees last season, but they filled three out of my four wide midfielder/winger roles, so I do need to see what can be done in those positions. I'd take all three back again to be honest, if budget permits. I'm looking at Russell for the left-sided role as he hasn't performed well in attack. He is seriously close to being made available though, after his missed penalty in the shoot-out followed a long goal drought. I have a couple of strikers coming in that are likely to do a better job than him.

Like you, I am well under my wage budget (for now), and have a transfer profit of millions. It all helps the club long-term. The board are also pleased that I use plenty of our young players.

Austin has gone to Blackburn on my save now unfortunately. They have him and Rhodes up front, although Rhodes is unh as there are too many strikers at the club apparently!! Beats me, I think JR scores every week in this dam game!!!

Very odd regarding Russell, he seems very hit and miss (literally!). For the first half of my season he was poor, hardly scored and I actually threatened him with the t/list if he didn't improve. This didn't do the trick so I dropped him for about a month and then re-introduced him to the team as a poacher and he has been on fire ever since. He was top scorer last season and was wanted by Newcastle, Swansea and Celtic in the t/fer window although on Swansea made an official bid of 2m which was rejected. I think if you give him time and play to his strengths he can be a great asset mate.

Take Rhodes instead then ;)

Like you, I dropped Russell. Quite often he didn't even make the bench. Sadly, injuries dictated that I gave him another chance in the play-off SF, and he let me down again. Teenager Romano van der Stoep (from Ajax) was a much better performer in attack, but I will see how Russell goes in pre-season. I can't play him as a poacher because I have Plet as AF(A) and therefore he has to deliver as DLF(S), or perform on the left of midfield. Otherwise he will have to remain on the bench or will be sold.

Take Rhodes instead then ;)

Like you, I dropped Russell. Quite often he didn't even make the bench. Sadly, injuries dictated that I gave him another chance in the play-off SF, and he let me down again. Teenager Romano van der Stoep (from Ajax) was a much better performer in attack, but I will see how Russell goes in pre-season. I can't play him as a poacher because I have Plet as AF(A) and therefore he has to deliver as DLF(S), or perform on the left of midfield. Otherwise he will have to remain on the bench or will be sold.

Haha believe me Rhodes has been considered as an option, he is listed for 8m so maybe a target for next summer if I get a decent budget. This season I was only given 8m in total to spend which I thought was pretty shocking to be honest.

Russell out wide could be an option, although I don't think it is his strongest position. As someone who you signed for nothing, it may be worth biting the bullet and letting him leave, recovering some transfer funds and not having the same problem again next summer?

Yeah, I think his future will depend on who I sign/loan for the left flank this summer. With the additions of Ivan Santini and Sebastian Ribas, who both have decent records in Europe, I can't see him holding a place in attack. He does have the attributes and knowledge to play wide, so will monitor that situation. As you know, most of my years here have been about buying for free and selling for big money, so I won't be afraid to do that again.

I've just been informed that we made a profit of £3.6m last season, and have been given an initial transfer budget of £1.94m and wage budget of £145k p/w before checking out the board expectations. I am still before 30th June, so will have to review when the expiring contracts and Bosmans come in to the equation. The current wage budget from last season is £125k p/w though, so we may have a little bit of scope in the market.

Yeah, I think his future will depend on who I sign/loan for the left flank this summer. With the additions of Ivan Santini and Sebastian Ribas, who both have decent records in Europe, I can't see him holding a place in attack. He does have the attributes and knowledge to play wide, so will monitor that situation. As you know, most of my years here have been about buying for free and selling for big money, so I won't be afraid to do that again.

I've just been informed that we made a profit of £3.6m last season, and have been given an initial transfer budget of £1.94m and wage budget of £145k p/w before checking out the board expectations. I am still before 30th June, so will have to review when the expiring contracts and Bosmans come in to the equation. The current wage budget from last season is £125k p/w though, so we may have a little bit of scope in the market.

Sounds like you have a chance to bring in 1 or 2 quality additions with that budget mate. Especially if you don't need to spend all the t/fer budget and can turn it into wages. Get onto the free transfer list, it's my favourite place I think in the whole game.

I'm normally in the market for loans and Bosmans in the month of June. Sadly I can never get any British players in whose contracts are about to expire - always too much in wages compared to the remaining wage budget of the ending year. There are quite a few that I would consider, but with my board limitations we just can't get close to their demands despite being £30k p/w under my existing wage budget.

James Wallace, Ash Taylor, Tommy Rowe, James Henry, Scott Malone and Craig Alcock are just a handful of names that should easily be interested to join a club like this, on a free, but we can't even get close to offering the wages they want, and they aren't good enough to warrant £10k p/w anyway. That's why I generally end up back in the loan market and getting Bosmans from abroad.

I'm normally in the market for loans and Bosmans in the month of June. Sadly I can never get any British players in whose contracts are about to expire - always too much in wages compared to the remaining wage budget of the ending year. There are quite a few that I would consider, but with my board limitations we just can't get close to their demands despite being £30k p/w under my existing wage budget.

James Wallace, Ash Taylor, Tommy Rowe, James Henry, Scott Malone and Craig Alcock are just a handful of names that should easily be interested to join a club like this, on a free, but we can't even get close to offering the wages they want, and they aren't good enough to warrant £10k p/w anyway. That's why I generally end up back in the loan market and getting Bosmans from abroad.

I often find this however I normally manage to pull one or two off, Hooper for example I thought was reasonable. James Wallace I tried to get but he went to Celtic for 35k p/w....no wonder he wouldn't accept my 12k!

What/who is your top earner at the moment?

I am spending £231,013 per week on wages which is quite high when I think about it, however my top earner is only on 20k. When you consider teams in the leagues below have players on 20,30 and 40k I think this is quite good.

Everton got relegated by the way last season and are now in the Championship. It's a funny story (especially for an LFC fan!). Moyes left and went to West Brom who he took down, Martin Jol was sacked by Fulham because they were bottom at the time, he went to Everton and took them from 12th to 19th in just 18 games! Impressive work Mr Jol taking them down!

It's funny when you see those things happening to Keane, Moyes and now Jol especially.

Your wage bill does seem very good, I agree. It's ok to pay a fair whack for a Hooper/Austin, but personally I hate paying high wages (and fees) for mediocrity like Wallace. I think that's why I use the loan market more as I find better quality at a lower expense.

My top earner list is:

Ilie £9.5k p/w

Jeff Hughes £8k p/w

Johnny Russell £7.75k p/w

Jordan Clarke £7.25k p/w

Everybody else is on less than £5k p/w, although the incoming Plet, Ribas and Santini are probably going to be in this top band shortly.

I agree I hate paying high wages, I hate even more paying high t/fer fees. Hence I was given about 7/8m to spend and only spent 5. I just hate paying high fees for players that are completely over inflated, I.e Thomas Ince for 9m, Nathan Redmond they wanted 11 and James McArthur they wanted 14!!!! No chance.

Not bad at all with the wages there, I think my max in the Championship was about 12.5k p/w but then you have come up through the divisions and I started there. Ilie is a dam good player. He was one of the best I had last season and has been awesome in the first 4 games of this.

I am starting to think I might steal a Barcelona youth player every year since the AI is too stupid to give them a long term contract.

Another load of games played..

Following our 1-0 defeat to Hull, I was eager to get the season back on track and how we did!

First we were back at Pride Park for a massive local derby against Leicester City. With them 1-0 up at half time, a few tactical changes were needed. Ryan Taylor came on and played as a flying full back and firstly set up Gary Hooper before scoring a 85th minute volley to win the game.

Next we played Cardiff away from home. Promoted 2 years ago and therefore a decent Premier League side now. However, after they had 2 players sent off within the first half an hour (yes half an hour!!!) we got a 2-1 win. Ryan Taylor and Will Hughes with the goals. It was scrappy considering we had 2 extra men but a win is a win at the end of the day.

We then went to West Brom in the league cup. They were bottom of the Championship and struggling for form, however it took us extra time to see them off 1-0. A Paul McGowan goal securing the win.

Next game, a massive one. Arsenal at home! The team that we spectaculary dumped out of the FA Cup last year 3-0 at the Emerites, they were looking for revenge. Arsene Wenger said in the build up that we 'weren't cut out for this level' and that was all the motivation we needed. Goals from Tom Hatelely and Mason Bennett got us a 2-0 win. It was hard fought, passionate and full of controversy as both goals could of been given off side. We also cleared the ball off the line twice in a dramatic last 5 minutes before Bennett wrapped the game up.

After winning against Arsenal I was full of optimism going into our next game away to QPR, however it turned out to be one of those days, a 2-1 defeat with the only positive being a goal for Chris Martin. Overall we were poor and lacked fight.

Man UTD away is a game no one expects to take points from and we didn't. A respectful 1-0 defeat wasn't the worse result ever (that is to come!).

Next up was Sunderland. We showed our bounce-back-ability with an amazing 4-1 victory! Brayford, Martin and 2 goals from super Gary Hooper the difference. It was one of the best performances we have got from the team for an awful long time.

Last year Chelsea knocked us out of the League Cup and we unfortunately got drawn there again. After last years 2-0 loss, I was determined not to give another bad account of ourselves. We put a full strength team out and took the lead through Gary Hooper and held our own until the 87th minute when Chelsea got an equaliser. With the game into extra time and again took the lead, this time McGowan scoring with only 8 minutes left, however they again equalised taking us to penalties. With the scores at 4-4, Tom Cairney stepped up but had his effort saved, leaving Bertrand to hammer the ball home and knock us out the cup. A spirited effort but our defence made 1 or 2 silly mistakes that cost us in the end.

Next we played Liverpool at Pride Park and, bearing in mind how well we have done against Chelsea, Arsenal and Man UTD I was optimistic of getting something. How wrong I was. 3-0 down at half time, we effectively played 10 behind the ball for the second half and kept it to only 4-0. How they didn't score 10 I don't know. The players looked tired and drained after the extra time and penalties mid week, but 4-0 was embarrassing.

That result leaves us 6th in the league with 16 points. OUr next two games are both at home against Fulham and then Stoke.

BRING IT ON!!

Nice update chap, and despite the Liverpool loss, some very good stuff in there too. Pleased to see Hooper doing well and scoring a few. Anything above the drop zone for a newly promoted team is good work so you're exceeding that level comfortably so far. What formation are you using this time, still the same?

I've just finished my pre-season of 2015/2016 at Coventry, so will pop an update up soon.

Nice update chap, and despite the Liverpool loss, some very good stuff in there too. Pleased to see Hooper doing well and scoring a few. Anything above the drop zone for a newly promoted team is good work so you're exceeding that level comfortably so far. What formation are you using this time, still the same?

I've just finished my pre-season of 2015/2016 at Coventry, so will pop an update up soon.

Thanks boss.

Yeah still the same formation, even most of the same team. I think we have just got in a good run of form and our formation gets the best out of our best players, i.e Hughes! My starting 11 is pretty much exactly the same as it was in the Championship except for Hooper who is starting in place of the injured Johnny Russell who is out for 6 weeks with a damages shoulder, having just returning from an elbow/arm injury of some description.

Hooper is on fire and could be brilliant. Chris Martin is steady, doesn't score as many but offers us something which is good. I think the main reason for our success is that I have finally got the players attention. No longer do I have team talks and no one listens, everyone gains motivation and therefore ups their performances which is good. My biggest problem is likely to be that they are all starting to itch for new contracts which could cost me a small fortune!

Let me know how you are getting on. You will go up this year mate, I reckon you can do it!!

Evolution, not revolution, I like it. It's good to see that these players can step up, and mainly British ones at that. I just went through the costly contract renewal situation myself, but it has to be done from time to time.

COVENTRY CITY SEASON PREVIEW 2015/2016

After our defeat in the Championship play-off SF in season 3, we managed to make a profit of £3.6m over the year. We had quite an active summer in the transfer market, and I have decided to do a squad review:

GK

Matthew Ryan remains our number one ’keeper and has been very reliable since arriving on a free from Central Coast Mariners in June 2013. My only concerns over him surround his frequent international absences, especially as he seems to prefer Bondi to Coventry every January. In Mikkel Andersen we have a very capable back-up though. He arrived from Reading for £160k in July 2014.

Corrin Brooks-Meade has just been released from the club. I would have kept him, but in reality he was too good to remain as an unused third choice.

I had made several offers to recruit Alex McCarthy from Reading this summer, as a reasonable fee looked like it could secure him. So far, no agreement has been reached but he remains a target.

FB

These roles are filled with some style by our two HG youngsters. Cyrus Christie (RB) and Jordan Clarke (LB) started 48 and 47 ‘league’ games respectively last season (including the PO matches). Clarke is adaptable to play either FB position, so it allows me to just have one reserve, Barry Douglas. The ex-Dundee Utd left-back signed for £50k in January 2015 from Peterborough, and although the Scot hasn’t yet made an appearance, I am sure he will be solid when called upon.

Leaving the club is Blair Adams, who rejected a contract extension and chose to join Falkirk on a Bosman deal. I would have preferred to keep Blair, but when he made his decision known, I moved to add Douglas to the ranks.

CB

Captain and lynchpin Teddy Mezague is the main man back here. Plucked from Montpellier Reserves in January 2013 for a fee of £110k (and currently valued at £3.3m), he has made 84 league appearances so far with an average rating around 7.50. His contract has just been extended until June 2019. Alongside him will be Sean Morrison, who has just been loaned in from Reading for the season. A monthly fee of £24k p/m was required, along with 50% wage contribution, but he provides plenty of quality. Michael Keane has also just been recruited, the young Man Utd defender costing me £700k (doubling the previous highest fee I had paid for any player). He looks to have a bright future and will provide competition, alongside Moroccan Redah Atassi, who we signed from FUS Rabat in January 2013 for a sum of £160k. In reserve, HG youngsters Nathan Cameron and Jordan Willis will continue their development.

Leaving the club this summer after several years of good service was William Edjenguele (Billy Edge). He made 85 league appearances over three years at the club, but refused a contract extension and moved to Amiens SC in France on a Bosman deal. Kevin Malaga also finally left, having never appeared under my tenure.

Danny Batth, who had served us well in a short loan last season, was my number one target here, but Wolves are demanding a fee in excess of £1m so far. Paddy McCarthy was now deemed too old for me, but he had provided reliable cover on loan with us after an injury crisis pointed me in his direction.

CM

Jeff Hughes has been given an extended deal (on reduced terms) until June 2017as he seems to show no signs of decline. Last season he was a top performer in the middle of the park, making 44 league appearances. He signed in July 2014 on a free transfer from Blackpool, and his form has seen him recalled to the Northern Ireland national team. He is supported by another HG youngster, Conor Thomas, who has made excellent progress in my time at the club. Another option who will be used is ex-Barca B player Ilie, who we signed for free in July 2013. Cover comes from Franck Moussa (sold to Crystal Palace and then re-signed later for a £340k profit), Jason Kennedy (our previous record buy at £350k, from Rochdale in January 2014), and the ever-improving HG youngster Billy Daniels. We also currently have Joel Perovuo on the books. The Finn has made over 50 league appearances since signing for £26k in January 2013 but has found his chances limited recently and a sale is quite likely.

Stoke loanee Jamie Ness had been a dependable regular last season, but I felt another loan or transfer for him would now stunt the growth of our own players. Charlie Adam (who we had on loan in season 2013/2014) was also available again, but neither seemed necessary. Gary Gardner from Aston Villa was a player I would like to bring in, but his value is too high and they don’t want to allow him out on loan.

WM

Dejan Mezga had an excellent first season on the right side of midfield, having joined from Maribor on a Bosman deal in July 2014. The Croat made 44 league appearances, delivering 9 goals and a further 9 assists. He has been rewarded with a contract extension until June 2017. Having shown glimpses of potential last year, I have taken Agustin Allione on a further season-long loan from Velez. He is good enough to start every week, but has often been used as an impact option to bring pace, flair and creativity from the bench against tiring defences. My latest signing, Anthony Pilkington, has yet to feature, but will take the role on the left flank. He can play on either side, but that is where I needed some real first-team quality. The ex-Norwich man joins for a year from Southampton and is commanding a monthly fee of £16k and 50% wage contribution, but looks to be a useful addition. He also carries an additional threat with his set-piece skills. Another HG youngster Callum Wilson provides further cover as we are developing his talents to cover both wide and striking roles. Callum Harriott has been afforded the opportunity to have some first team football at Barnet, but I added a recall option.

Leaving the club are David Bell, finally released after being unwanted and un-played for three whole years, and Armiche, who has joined Plymouth for £80k. The Spaniard had been signed for free from Valencia in July 2013, but after making 19 appearances in his first season, had not been required.

Prior to the arrival of Pilkington, I had been really keen to take Jordan Obita on loan for a third successive season, but his scintillating form for us meant he was too valuable at Reading now, and his value has rocketed to over £3m, pricing us out of a permanent deal. I then tried to attract Dejan Meleg back from Ajax for a second year, but although the club agreed, he wasn’t so keen.

ST

Glynor Plet, who had such a devastating spell on loan from FC Twente last year (with 24 goals and 15 assists from his 46 league appearances) is warmly welcomed back to the club on a permanent basis. I secured his signature part-way through last season, and on a Bosman free, this is great business for the club. Also returning, for a second year on loan, is young Dutch striker Romano van der Stoep from FC Utrecht. He netted 9 goals in 25 league appearances for us last term, and should provide useful support again. Two other Bosman deals were arranged last winter to bring in Sebastian Rivas, (a Uruguayan from Genoa in Italy), and Ivan Santini, from Zadar in Croatia. Both look to have good abilities and should be useful additions. Cover will be provided by Leon Clarke and Dan Holman, both of whom are capable at this level when called upon.

The big-money departure at the club this summer sees Johnny Russell move on after one frustrating season. The Scot had been signed on a free from Dundee Utd in the previous summer, but had not done a great deal to impress as he returned only 4 goals and 1 assist in his 25 league appearances last term. With plenty of striking options, I was considering him to take on duties on the left of midfield, but out of nowhere we received bids of £1.1m and £1.3m from a couple of clubs. Buoyed by this, I decided to offer him out at £1.5m (double his deflating value), and Newcastle came in to match my terms and took him off my hands. I would have liked him to succeed here, but he was one of the higher earners and had not performed as expected, so this kind of profit was too good to refuse.

With two new and untried strikers coming in, I will see how this goes before deciding whether we should sell and/or replace any of them.

Summary of the summer

Pre-season results were mixed, with only a couple of late goals by Bournemouth halting our unbeaten record there. I think the last one is probably the biggest barometer so not unduly worried by the others.

Wycombe 0-0 Coventry

Rochdale 1-2 Coventry (Morrison, Plet)

Ebbsfleet 0-0 Coventry

Bournemouth 2-1 Coventry (Harriott)

Coventry 1-1 Fulham (Plet)

The number of loan players has been reduced (from 8 to 4)

Three more British players have been added to the group

Contracts have been improved and extended for all first-teamers who were in their last year

Another profit has been made in the transfer market

Remaining transfer kitty of £600k and £22k p/w in spare wage budget (both adjustable)

The minimum board expectation this season is for a top-half finish, so we will have to follow up our over-achievement of last term. But, we have a fairly familiar squad, and if the striking partnership can gel quickly, we should have a decent season.

Nice work Jogo, very good review of your squad there.

Alex McCarthy is a very good player who could possibly play at a higher level, if you can get him for a decent fee then he would be a very good signing. Although that would surely mean either Ryan or Andersen have to leave?

At CB interesting that you have got Sean Morrison on loan. He is currently playing first team at Reading in the premier league in my save, in fact he scored twice against Man UTD recently!! Very good signing and potential to be brilliant there.

Your midfield is very storng, Ilie esecpially :p and up front in Plet and Rivas both should be able to find the net for you. If it is the same person I have seen Rivas mentioned a few times and he scored tons of goals in the leagues below the premier league, although that could be a different Rivas? not too sure.

Gutted about Russell I really am. He has been amazing for me at Yeovil and Derby at the end last season, gutted he never cut it for you as well. 1.5m though is a very good fee for someone that is effectively a back up player. Amazing that Newcastle came in to sign him, I never thought a premier league club would take him off your hands but then it is Newcastle!!

Some good stats there as well about adding British players to the squad and improving the financial position of the club.

Congratulations, hope you can have a good start to the season.

Another game in the PL, another win! This time 2-1 against Fulham. Mason Bennett scoring a 93rd minute winner to send me into 4th in the league. Who said this game was complicated ey :p (waits for change in form....)

I haven't changed anything for ages it is all just a case of pick 11 fit players, get them motivated and go for it.

Arsenal are now 19th in the league with Wenger listed as 'very insecure'. Also Fulham have just sacked Martin O'Neil and I have been listed as the bookies favourite...no chance of me going there, or anywhere else to be fair, but definitely not to Fulham! In a year or two if my board continue to give me awful t/fer budgets and the clubs success stops I might move on, but not now. I have just noticed the balance is 16m, I have 200k left to spend. I asked for more money from the board and they said it isn't possible to find the funds...WTF ARE THEY DOING WITH THE 16M!!!!

I appreciate my squad is doing well, but we could still do some quality adding in places, mainly at left back where Robinson is struggling and possibly another creative CM. I can't sign them for 200k can I!

Excellent form continuing there mate, very impressive to be 4th in the top flight especially with your cautious (tight) board. Like you, I'm not one to hop around the clubs. I prefer to build my own squad from the beginning rather than inherit a bunch of randoms and misfits several years in. You're very restricted there in the market, I guess it's loans if you want that new LB then! I find most of my successful stewardships come about when I have a settled formation, tactics, philosophy and main core of regular starters. That was what really helped me last season, so you saying what you have about minimal changes further proves the theory correct. Last term I didn't swich from 442 once, when winning or losing, and didn't make one touchline shout all season. Steve Coppell once told me, in his first year at Reading, that he just let his players play, and make mistakes if necessary. I guess I followed his advice too closely!

Thanks for the comments on my squad review. You're right about whether I really need Alex McCarthy. IRL he has the potential to become England's number 1 'keeper, and I just want him in my team if possible. If I can get him then I will probably have to sell one of my others - even though they're both good enough! Morrison is another player who I know a bit about and he was an obvious pick when it emerged they may be tempted to loan him out. He can defend, will be a danger in the opposition box, and also has a long-throw which may come in useful on occasions.

In central midfield, I may be one top quality performer light. Until or unless that situation arises though, I am very happy with Hughes, Ilie and Thomas. If Plet can perform anything like last season, I will be delighted. A couple in pre-season indicates he might well do. I'm not sure if it's the same Ribas you refer to or not, but he has a good pedigree IRL and high finishing/heading skills for this level. As for Russell, it's a shame for me too, but in the end the offer was too good to refuse. I think 6 strikers is a couple too many, so one or two may be moved on later this season (likely to be Holman and/or Clarke unless Ribas or Santini fail).

Keep up the good work mate, I intend to start season 4 later.

No me neither, I hate tacking over clubs when they don't have their original squad. I think the only thing I could be tempted to do would be to take say the England job on a part time basis along side the Derby job, but now I am getting carried away, we are likely to lose 10 games in a row soon and I will be sacked!! I am the same, I very very rarely change anything. I normally go from a 5-3-2 formation and if I am losing I take off my full backs, throw on two wingers and go 3-5-2, that's about as good as it gets. Every now and then I might move the sliders slightly but nothing major. That is why I don't understand these in-depth tactical advice forums that are knocking round. At the end of the day I have won things or achieved things without changing tactics or studying player positions. Sometimes the same boring tactic with a half decent players can do the trick. I base more of mine on the mental side of the game, wind players up, tell them on the eve of a game they can play better so they go into that next match fired up, tell players they are best thing since sliced bread and make them believe it, that's how I work. A bit Mourinho esc, boring tactics, quite defensive and love a good 1-0 away victory in the rain.

Anyway, back to reality (or FM-ality anyway!)

McCarthy is a good player, he can be very good on this game so if you get the opportunity to sign him snap him up. Maybe let your back up GK go and release some of the wage budget that way? Ribas must be a different one, I remember reading on here a few days ago about a bloke I am sure with that name being signed for 50k and turned into a world beater, but I might just be getting your hopes up! I hope Plet can do the business for you again this year.

Good luck, let me know how you get on later.

I'm just too lazy (maybe we need to swap user names?) to do all that in-depth tactical stuff and prefer to keep it simple, but I do admire the way some others go in to it. I'm sure it must work, but other factors can also be significant.

I don't do much in terms of tactics and match preparation, but do try to utilise my set-pieces well. Training wise I generally just try to boost attributes in position training. Because I keep the roles in the team consistent, each player just comes in to the role that he has been developing skills in, and simply replaces the man who played the exact same position before him (if that makes sense). You would laugh (or shake your head) if I even bothered to reveal the duties of my players, they are so simplistic!

I do try and maintain a good squad harmony, definitely spend a long time on potential signings, and always work hard to keep a really firm grip on contracts/wages and bank balance etc. Like you, at this level I generally try to keep it tight and grab narrow wins - but last season a more ambitious approach was essential and it worked wonders.

Oh god no I am with you. I have CB's who are all....CB's and 2 wing backs who are instructed to be wing backs and a centre forward he is instructed to play like a ......you guessed it, centre forward. Very limited effort has gone into this so far, although I assume if/when the club progresses we might have to think about it a bit more against bigger and better opposition.

Training I really need to work on, my staff generally do my training for me but the players are always unhappy with their work load which I don't understand. They aren't tired or being overworked in my opinion yet they all think it is too intense despite it being set to 'average'. Maybe you can explain how this side works as I have never really gone into it in any great depth?

Set pieces are key, I would love to be as good as Stoke/Bolton have been with these in the past but again, I don't really understand the training so I have never been able to work on them properly.

Haha, good to hear that you're enjoying Celtic. Hopefully you will return some time soon. I can't make out whether folks are scaling down gametime until FM14 arrives, not playing any 'npower' FL saves, or have just been bored out of here by me and Mr. Layzee :o

I've just reached 1st September 2015, so the transfer window has just closed. Since my last update, I loaned another 5 reserves out, 4 of them to my promoted feeder club Nuneaton, who strolled to the BSN title last season with the aid of my youngsters. Joel Perovuo was also sold on to Wycombe for £100k, another small profit made on the deal.

There was one more signing made on deadline day. Necessary? No. Cheap? No. Sensible? No. After audacious loan bids for RVP (now 32 and listed at £2.2 million by Man Utd), Fernando Torres (31 and offered for free by Chelsea), and Jermain Defoe (32 and listed by Spurs) failed due to excessive wage demands, I saw the opportunity to sign - for the first time ever in FM - an old favourite of mine from days gone by.

He is totally against all that I usually stand for, in terms of age, wages and lack of re-sale value, but I am delighted nevertheless to announce the signing of 32 year old striker Yakubu! Yes, our fans will soon will soon be chanting 'Feed The Yak And He Will Score', as he joins for free on a one-year contract. The ex-PL legend has been out of the country since 2012, and had been earning £96k p/w at his club in China (Guangzhou Fuli) for the last few years. However, when he was released I made some enquiries and he agreed to join me for £10.5k p/w until the end of the season. He still has his finishing skills, movement, composure, balance, strength, pace, touch and technique. The only worry is his lack of workrate, but I was prepared to gamble on this unique opportunity to manage him before he finishes his fine career. I will let you know how this surprise swoop works out - for now I am just hoping that the chant won't be changed to 'Leave The Yak And He Will Snore'.

Well, I have managed to get through until the end of December 2015 at Coventry, and we are just about to enter the winter transfer window. So far I am very pleased with our season.

We got off to a great start in the league, and for the first time in ages, I was also able to guide us through two early rounds of the Cup. We spluttered a bit in September when we had an amazing and bizarre situation of 4 games in 7 days (in September?!?) so I had no choice but to make 9 changes in Round 3 of the COC, and we were narrowly beaten by a young Arsenal side.

However, we managed to maintain our excellent league form, and barring the odd blip, have been the class act in this year's Championship. Currently, we are top scorers and also conceding the least, a situation that has been the case since the early weeks. In fact, we took our place at the top of the table back in the Autumn, and have remained there throughout the last few months. On five occasions we have won in the league by margins of 3 goals or more, which is very satisfying. In successive November away days we had blitzed Peterborough 5-0 before crushing 2nd-placed Derby (small revenge for last season) at Pride Park. The defeat at Wolves earlier in the season came with a stoppage time winner, but in the other defeats we just had off days. For some reason, I always get ripped apart by Sheff Wed. I'm sure they beat us a few times in the last two seasons, but this time they have done the double over us (delivering 2 of our 4 defeats) and hitting 7 goals past us in the process. Bristol City are the only other team to beat us, and they have been in the top 3 all season so it wasn't a disgrace.

Glynor Plet has continued to deliver the goods (23 league games, 15 goals) and although he was missing with injury for a few weeks earlier on, he has returned to the team and started to score heavily again. I'm rotating his strike partners a fair bit, hence Ivan Santini, Sebastian Ribas and Romano van der Stoep netting in batches. Yakubu hasn't set the world alight, but has been used mainly off the bench and recently netted his first goal for the club (a winner at Burnley).

The midfield has performed efficiently, and Anthony Pilkington has provided plenty of assists in his quest to fill the void of our ex-loanee Jordan Obita. The other wide players, Dejan Mezga and Agustin Allione, have also been in good form. In the centre of the park, Jeff Hughes, Conor Thomas and Ilie are consistent and reliable too. With one or two exceptions (I can never get a good performance against Sheff Wed) the defence has been a critical part of our success. Our young FB's (Cyrus Christie and Jordan Clarke) are supported superbly in the centre by Teddy Mezague, Sean Morrison and on occasions Michael Keane. Behind them, young Matthew Ryan is getting better and better between the sticks.

I'm not planning to do much (or any) incoming transfer business in the winter window, but I have already arranged a deal for Danny Batth, our ex-loanee from Wolves, to join us on a permanent deal on 1st January. He will become my record signing at £925k as we try to become more domestically represented in the future. I will possibly sell some of our reserve strikers, as I don't really want to keep more than 4/5 (maximum) going forward.

CoventryCity_FixturesSchedule-6_zpse652cd2a.png

CoventryCity_FixturesSchedule-7_zps254e980f.png

npowerChampionship_OverviewStages-8_zps14055a37.png

Cheers Gunner, and welcome back. I often play with Posh (the team, not the girl) but when they are in League 1. There was another guy managing them a while back, possibly on the 'Clubs with no guide' thread? Good luck with that and it will be great to have some more people joining in here (again).

Yeah, it can all go wrong for me still, but so far there hasn't been much pressure felt during this season. I tend to find when I switch off and re-start, results are always the opposite of what went before (winning turns to losing and losing turns to winning). As this was last night's action, I hope that won't be the case when I crack it open today.

Yeah I seen that! He got to the Premiership and then he just stopped posting so god knows how he ended up doing in his first season in the top flight! Expectations are low so they suit me.

There was a rumour a while back about that being implemented into the game or something? Maybe around 2008? And that the game was 'cheating' you? :D Obviously this was denied.

Ah, I didn't know that. I think I only started with FM06/FM07 (but in 2008 or 2009) so I was probably just not a very good manager back in the early years. In the last year or two I have noticed this happens quite alot to me. I have no problem with losing (jeez, my 2nd season here we won 2 out of our last 25 league games after a reasonable start), but it does sometimes seem a bit odd when you suddenly lose all sense of 'normal' form. I mean, if we suddenly start playing week in, week out like relegation candidates, it wouldn't seem to make sense unless there is some relevance to what you say. If that happens, I will save (won't cheat on the losses), switch off, then come back later!

So Im back! Decided to start higher up and join Peterborough United! Deciding to play a 4-1-2-2-1 formation the club expect me to play attacking football as well as bring through young players. Ideally I want to try and stick to doing what The Posh do in real life and by that I mean, buy young players from lower leagues and then sell for an healthy profit, which may be hard to do given the £100k transfer budget Ive been handed!

Undertaking my squad evaluation I decided I would transfer list Nathaniel Knight-Percival and release the injured Dave Hibbert due to him not being upto scratch, being paid £1.5k a week and out for 11 months for knee ligament damage. I also decided to terminate the loans of Davide Petrucci and Alex Pritchard as I felt we had too many players who had better quality than them in their positions.

The chairman granted me permission for an upgrade to the youth facilities, so hopefully we will benefit from that a couple of seasons down the line. These are costing the club £1m to complete and will be ready for 02.10.2013.

Our first signing of the summer was that of Ben Gordon who has joined a free transfer after being released from Chelsea. He comes with a growing reputation and has played for Leeds, Tranmere, Kilmarnock, Scunthorpe and Birmingham City. At 21 he has the potential to grow into a good championship full back.

The next signing we made was the loan signing of Jose Semedo from Championship rivals Sheffield Wednesday. We paid a loan fee of £60k (for the season) and 50% of his £5k a week contract. Semedo will offer the bite in a defensive midfielder role. I think fees for loanees will become a lot more frequent going forwards in the real world too as we have seen this Deadline Day with Viviano and the failed swoop for Demba Ba.

Season 2012/2013 Pre-Season Results

Peterborough 3 - 0 Peterborough Res.

Tomlin x 2, Newell

Portsmouth 0 - 3 Peterborough

Brisley, Ferdinand, Tomlin

Preston 0 - 1 Peterborough

Swanson

Peterborough 2 - 4 Southampton

Rowe, Boyd

Scunthorpe 1 - 6 Peterborough

Gayle x 2, Tomlin x 3, J.Gordon

Tamworth 1 - 4 Peterborough

Barnett, Newell, McCann, Gayle

So pre-season started and ended with wins. Racking up an impressive 19 goals and only losing to Premiership side Southampton the team's morale is up going into the season opener against Barnet in the Capital One Cup!

Welcome back Gunner and a cracking start made. It's a good chance to take on a club where you can have low pressure, and a directive to attack and bring through younger players from the lower leagues. You certainly have some attacking weaponry, and some good youngsters in a few other positions too. Good luck, and enjoy - the Mac needs to stay safe!

So after my mess up (%*#%#%) Ive decided to take up the job of Oldham Athletic instead! Having come in to the club Im expected to play possession football, play attacking football and develop players through the youth system, not much then ey?

Expectations;

League one;

Learn from participating.

FA Cup;

Reach the Third Round

JPT;

Not important

Capital One Cup;

Reach the Second Round.

Finances at Oldham are not the best.. I've been rejected the opportunity of upgrading the youth facilities because there's no money available, we have £0 transfer budget and only £1.5k in the wage budget spare and player sales only give me back 20% to spend on improving the team! We also already have 3 loanees in the side (Barnard, Iwelumo and Obita) which means I can only bring in two more (realistically don't like having more than five) and next summer Ill be losing three of my key attacking men with possibly only Iwelumo us having a chance to resign (contract runs out, back up at Watford, ageing) Sigh, this won't be easy! Although I am excited about my front four who are; Lee Croft, Jose Baxter, Jordan Obita and Lee Barnard with Dean Furman and James Wesolowski sitting deeper.

The first summer signing was Southampton's right back Danny Butterfield who joined on a season long loan deal with no wage or monthly fee involved. He wasn't first choice but free agent Alex Pursehouse decided to join League Two Gillingham instead.

The next player to join, again on a season long loan deal was Wolves Jody Craddock. This time we had to pay 50% (£750) of his weekly wage. He will help, alongside Butterfield to shore up a defence that I feel could leak goals.

This signing will more than likely be my last this window due to the financial restraints we have currently.

Pre-season results 2012/2013

Colwyn Bay 2 - 3 Oldham Athletic

Baxter x 2, Simpson

Oldham Athletic 3 - 0 Huddersfield

Baxter, Iwelumo, Obita

Hyde 0 - 3 Oldham Athletic

Barnard, Obita, Murray

Oldham Athletic 4 - 0 Chelsea Reserves

Montano, Iwelumo, Grounds, Baxter

Burscough 0 - 3 Oldham Athletic

Croft, Barnard, Baxter

As you can see some impressive results and the performances were good too. Jose Baxter was MOTM in every match barring the last one which shows he's going to be key this season. Was also pleased to see my front four all get goals which should help boost morale and confidence.

Archived