Higher weekly pay or higher appearance fees?

keitholi

I have taken to giving players higher appearance fee's and lower weekly pay, when negotiating contracts, since they seem to spend so much time injured. That got me thinking a couple things.

A. Do injured players still collect their weekly pay? If so, then I think the lower pay and higher appearance fee's is ideal.

B. Does a friendly match count as an appearance? If so, my 3 game a week preseason is going to be expensive!

C. Does this approach make sense? The only time I see it being more costly is if I have to pay for friendlies and if I have multiple games a week like cup time and stuff.

I have taken to giving players higher appearance fee's and lower weekly pay, when negotiating contracts, since they seem to spend so much time injured. That got me thinking a couple things.

A. Do injured players still collect their weekly pay? If so, then I think the lower pay and higher appearance fee's is ideal.

Weekly is guaranteed pay, whether they play, sit, or are rehabilitating.

B. Does a friendly match count as an appearance? If so, my 3 game a week preseason is going to be expensive!

If they step on the field, it counts (even as a replacement, I believe) I found that out when I was managing a national team, had one of my players on the roster (he earned it), brought him on as a replacement, and found out after the game that since he had his first cap as an international player, his salary went from $12.5K to $15.8K/week. No wonder he thanked me in the press...

C. Does this approach make sense? The only time I see it being more costly is if I have to pay for friendlies and if I have multiple games a week like cup time and stuff.
Depends on whether paying appearance fees for a few friendlies up front is cheaper than a year of weekly salaries. I always look at the combined weekly+appearance that agents propose in negotiations, because if you're playing a player 2x/week, it adds up fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived