How does FM keep track of a player's tendencies?

This is something that has bothered me for a while in the FM series. While the attributes show how good a player is at something, they don't determine how much that player will actually make use of his attributes. For example, somebody can have 20 for Long Shots, but that doesn't tell us how often they will actually try to shoot from distance. The only exception are the Preferred Moves, but this is a rather limited stat, and for a game with such a fantastic database it would be a lot more accurate if they had (hidden) tendency stats from 1-20. The NBA 2k series executes this well in my opinion. I understand it would be a gigantic work to add these stats for all the players but maybe SI should consider it.

Your tactics, roughly, determine that. Long shots, for example, would also be related to creativity, flair, decisions and the like. By utilising the post-match analysis you can see how many times they attempt it each game. Keeping track of it would be pointless because you know from their stat how likely it is to come off. Your choice is then whether you wish to make use of that.

I don't think PPM's are enough as they are so few and far between. Many players don't have any. I'm hoping the next big jump in FM (hopefully at FM15) will be to give players much more individual playing styles, rather than rely on tactics to determine how a player plays.

This would change how we need to build our squads and pick our teams. We would need to take into account how well our players naturally play within our tactics and adapt their gameplay accordingly if they don't.

I don't think PPM's are enough as they are so few and far between. Many players don't have any. I'm hoping the next big jump in FM (hopefully at FM15) will be to give players much more individual playing styles, rather than rely on tactics to determine how a player plays.

This would change how we need to build our squads and pick our teams. We would need to take into account how well our players naturally play within our tactics and adapt their gameplay accordingly if they don't.

How many players are actually that individualistic though? And it's not just PPMs that shape their individual behaviour, the attributes do to. Besides PPMs are given to the players ( not talking newgens obviously) based on how the researchers see them. Cant stand handing out more PPMs if the player doesn't actually do it in real life.

I think PPM are a way to train the players to do frequently what they can do better. Depend the role of the player and attributes I always train several PPM.

If a player has good technique and passing train switch the ball to opposite flank and try long range passes.

If the player is winger, has a strong right foot and weak left foot, train to maintain on left side of the pitch when dribbling or vice versa.

If as a good playmaker profile, train Dictating the tempo of play, try killer balls ofter, try long range passes. If as good dribbling run with the ball trough center.

If a striker as good composure, try to place shoots, if not blast the ball into back of the net. If has good dribbling, balance and technique try to round the keeper. If has good technique and composure try to lob the keeper. Etc...

Archived