Best way to get your lone striker to score GOALS?

I am Man City in my 2nd season and currently doing pretty well. But one thing i have noticed is that my lone striker doesn't score many goals at all. The strikers i have surely have the ability to score bags of goals (bianchi,chevanton,gyan,sturridge) so why are they struggling to hit the back of the net!?

Oh, one more thing, i use an aml and amr with farrows and then 3 mc's (2 attacking 1 defensive).

So should my lone striker be quick,tall or strong?

And also should i set i tick the target man option and if so what should the target man supply be.

Thanks in advance

ArcticMonkey

I really like Adriano from Inter Milan for 7.02 patch.. He scores a lot for me.. Adebayour also very good but I am sure he's pretty expensive.. I bought Adriano right away when the game start.. I think inter just ask for 12 millions pounds.. Not bad for someone that scores 40ish goal and got 3 months of injury..

icon_smile.gif

thing i have noticed is that my lone striker doesn't score many goals

i found best is if the striker plays long shots, normally just gets passed the ball and he shoots first time worked wonders with cardoza 20 long shot and like to shoot from distance he scored 52 goals all season and won the euro Golden boot with like 70 points.

This was using the kinz tactic.

Lone strikers depend on good delivery. So your wingers gotta be good. And if you play thru the middle, he must be good at receiving the ball with his back to goal.

Examples include Adriano, Raul, Wayne Rooney(although he's not good IRL), Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

It depends on how your team play and what attributes your strikers have.

Chevanton I don't think is suited to playing as a lone striker (I don't rate him anyway though)

Gyan is not that special as a lone striker either, but he is a good player.

Sturridge is still developing so he won't be ideal, which leaves you with just Biachi who should be alright as a target man aerially espeically.

It's possible that your lone striker is rushing when he gets the ball and just taking shots which won't mean he will always score (depends on long shots stats for that person etc). He might not be getting enough support from your attacking minded players in midfield so instead of him holding up the ball waiting for support and then starting an attack that way, he is simply getting the ball and trying to shoot or do it all himself.

A lone striker works alone upfront(duh), so he needs to have good strength, first touch, long shots and off the ball.

These 3 stats help him hold up the ball, shoot from distance if no one is supporting him, create space for himself with his first touch, and run to space to receive the ball.

That's y Berbatov and Nistelrooy are such good lone strikers.

And yes, you should tick the targetman option and put your striker in the list. In 8.02, Cleon said that only ticking the targetman box will work. However, many others have claimed that doesn't ticking it will also work, but in a different way( Not all balls will go thru the target man).

If your targetman has good heading, jumping and pace, as well as the main attributes listed above, then his supply should be mixed.

If your wingers are good at crossing, and your targetman has good heading and jumping but poor pace, then use supply to head.

However, a pacy striker with low strength can work too. Like Michael Owen etc. However, the type of football should be direct with quick tempo and counter attacking ticked. Remember, passing is linked to tempo, so short passing with quick tempo is a no no.

Hope this helps. icon_wink.gif

Remember, passing is linked to tempo, so short passing with quick tempo is a no no.QUOTE]

I know that the game says this, and often it can conflict, but I always play with a high tempo and short passing, and it works for me, especially with a midfield 5 who are good on the ball, and also if your team isn't blessed with stamina (the latter compared to slow tempo).

On topic: I find that if you isolate the loan striker then he will struggle to score, especially without a high long shots stat, the best advice I htink for his is to make sure that you have midfielders who can and do support the striker.

I find that quick tempo and short passing works well to. It seems to work brilliantly when Van Der Vaart is in a 3 man midfield (Or Kaka and Messi on my Milan save). Iv always played short and quick and it always seems to be productive.

Well, it works cos your team is technically superb, compared to the rest of the teams in the league.

Try it when using a team like Derby in the EPL etc.

Short passing - passing to the nearest player

quick tempo - passing the ball from defence to attack as fast as possible.

So, if the defence is suppose to pass the ball short, but they need to play the ball into attack asap, it conflicts as the passes are too short to be able to reach the end of the other side of the pitch.

For superior technical teams, they are asked to pass short but at a quick tempo, therefore they have to ignore your instructions and either pass the ball around or pass the ball up asap. As your players are good, this usually is successful, giving the illusion that it is effective. I hope you understand, that quick tempo is not passing the ball fast, but having a quick buildup. Who would pass the ball slow???

On topic: Of course, it is better when you have midfielders able to support the lone striker. But in case the team don't have the resources, of course it is good for the striker to have a good long shots attribute.

IMO, a targetman is suppose to hold up the ball and bring others into play. Finishing becomes secondary, and the other stats that I have mentioned above helps the targetman.

And yes ArticMonkey, tick the targetman box, but set the supply to the strength of your targetman.

Everyones advice seems to contradict each others in this thread.

Personally, I think you can use any type of striker in a lone role. It doesnt matter about tempo, it doesnt matter about passing, it doesnt matter where you direct your play, it doesnt matter about long shots that lots of people mention.

From what ive seen, the key is that the striker has good movement. If he doesnt, he'll be marked out the game and there goes your goal threat. Fast strikers can work in this role, target men can work in this role, but as long as you have someone with good movement and finishing, you can play pretty much anyone. Make sure you have players getting forward to give options and pull the opposition out of place, and you'll be sorted.

For my lone strikers instructions, I put him on full attacking mentality as his job is to score goals. His creative freedom is fairly low, and passing is short to stay simple and keep possesion. Everything else is mixed, and his supply is mixed too to give variation to my game. The target man box is unticked too, as I dont want them lumping the ball to him every single time, id like him to move around and make space for other people too. My midfielders run forward to support, and my wingers cut inside to get on the end of anything. Ive always had great success with this for all different teams and players.

Best way to make a lone striker score goals is to make sure your midfield links up properly. Have the mentalities set out right (RoO is best for this) and make sure you have either an MCa going forward or an AMC to spray it a bit. Then just set your instructions to his strengths and watch what happens. If you're strictly playing a defensive "hoof it to the striker and see what happens" game, keep the ball on the ground. If it's in the air, odds are he'll either make a flick-on towards a midfielder who wont be able to get it, or try and control it and be muscled out.

Originally posted by lyw_85:

Well, it works cos your team is technically superb, compared to the rest of the teams in the league.

Try it when using a team like Derby in the EPL etc.

Short passing - passing to the nearest player

quick tempo - passing the ball from defence to attack as fast as possible.

So, if the defence is suppose to pass the ball short, but they need to play the ball into attack asap, it conflicts as the passes are too short to be able to reach the end of the other side of the pitch.

For superior technical teams, they are asked to pass short but at a quick tempo, therefore they have to ignore your instructions and either pass the ball around or pass the ball up asap. As your players are good, this usually is successful, giving the illusion that it is effective. I hope you understand, that quick tempo is not passing the ball fast, but having a quick buildup. Who would pass the ball slow???

On topic: Of course, it is better when you have midfielders able to support the lone striker. But in case the team don't have the resources, of course it is good for the striker to have a good long shots attribute.

IMO, a targetman is suppose to hold up the ball and bring others into play. Finishing becomes secondary, and the other stats that I have mentioned above helps the targetman.

And yes ArticMonkey, tick the targetman box, but set the supply to the strength of your targetman.

Tempo has nothing to do with getting the ball from back to front - thats a direct style of play, nothing to do with tempo. Using a quick tempo and short passing sees them move the ball quickly which may cause mistakes in your own team, yet pulls defences out of positions creating space for strikers to exploit better than slow short passing or quick direct passing (when passing isnt as accurate).

And iv done this with teams in the like qpr, wolves, palermo, atletico aswell as milan and it creates a style of play that my teams seem to enjoy, so it doesnt just work with the best teams in each league...rant over.

your strikers (bianchi,chevanton,gyan,sturridge) just aren't that great, especially if they have to do everything themselves up front. you need to get a better striker if you want to play one alone on top. otherwise, play two of the first three you mentioned up front. Either that, or, if you're really stuck on just using one striker up top, you'll need to use 4 defenders on the back line, two center midfielders, 3 attacking midfielders in front of those two CM's (one in the middle, two wingers), and hten one lone striker. I think Roma uses that formation... a 4231...

like...

Your striker will score mroe goals with that formation, with more attacking support.

My little formation didnt really work out..

here.. like this... except "x" = nothing. just ignore it..

xxx*

x* * *

xx* *

there you go icon_smile.gif

again, the x's are just so you can see the stars in the correct formation. ignore the x's, and use the formation the stars are in

Do yourself a favour and buy some decent strikers.

I use sergio aguero as lone striker with van der vaart behind in a 3 man amc with menez on the left and hleb on the right.

Aguero has always scored more goals than the games he plays.

Archived