The Journeyman Chronicles

chesterfan2

Sunday February 15th 2015

FA Cup Fifth Round

Venue: Cardiff City Stadium

Cardiff City (PRM 19th) vs. Northampton Town (BSP 1st )

We revert to a 4-4-2 formation for this, the thinking being that a 4-5-1 might keep the goals down, but it doesn’t seem to give us that much in the way of an attacking platform. To try and outscore a Premier League team at their own place might seem a little stupid, but if we are going to go down, let’s do it fighting.

I tell the lads to go out and enjoy themselves, to show everyone what they can do. They are a happy smiling bunch as they go onto the pitch, I wonder how long that will last ?

We start, as you might expect, right in their faces and the earliest opportunities fall to us, but we snatch at the chances and they go wide. Slowly Cardiff gain a foothold but we are biting into tackles and not letting them settle, chances for either side are very hard to come by. Then, on 41 minutes, Hammar mistimes a challenge in the box and the ref points to the spot. No complaints from me about that one. The Cardiff player steps up and blasts the ball home, I’m not sure Nicholls even moved.

Half time, and a goal down, I tell the lads they are unlucky to be behind, it seems to motivate them, and once again they go out looking confident. I plan to keep them on the defensive for a while, and if we get closer to the end a goal or two down, we’ll crank it up then.

On 55 minutes Widdowson had to limp off. Gibson replacing him. I can’t deny that that injury is going to hurt us. Cardiff controlled possession for large parts of the second half without ever really looking like they would extend their lead. We tried to push forward but didn’t make anything but for one glorious chance late on that Cardiff managed to clear off the line. It was good, but it wasn’t enough. Not that I could fault the boys, they had given it everything.

Final Score: Cardiff City 1-0 Northampton Town

Scorers :

Man Of The Match: Johan Hammar

Team: Nicholls, Byrne, Widdowson (Gibson 55), Fulton, Hammar , Meades, Thompson, Junior, McCourt, O’Halloran, Fallon

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wednesday February 18th 2015

FA Trophy Semi-Final First Leg

Venue: Rodney Parade

Newport County (BSP 12th) vs. Northampton Town (BSP 1st )

I want as strong a start as possible in this two legged semi, so I pick as strong a team as I can, with Fallon up front. In fact the only changes from the match in Cardiff would be Keegan in for a cup-tied Meades and Warren in for Widdowson, who had declared himself fit after having to come off in the last match, but was to my mind still suffering the effects of that injury at least in terms of stamina. Fallon might not make it to the second leg on Saturday, but Scapuzzi has now begun training again, so he might be fit enough to play.

The first half was a dour, cagey, affair seen in a lot of semi-finals, Keegan wasted our best opportunity and Newport, playing with one up front at home, invariably shot from too far away. They packed the midfield and made it difficult for us to attack, it also made it difficult for them to attack.

Goalless at half time, it could have been worse. I told them to give the fans something to cheer about and sent them out for the second half.

On the hour mark, out of nothing, we scored, a Keegan free-kick from 25 yards t that he curled round the wall and into the top corner. This seemed to rock Newport on their heels and we scored again only three minutes later, Fallon with the goal following good work by O’Halloran. Three more minutes and it was three, Warren this time feeding the ball into Fallon on the edge of the six yard box, and he doesn’t miss from there.

Newport finally found some fight and pushed up, but they were unlucky in the 70th minute when a shot cannoned back off the bar and eluded the oncoming forward by inches, Hammar hoiking the ball a full 45 yards in the clearance of it. Try as they might, Newport couldn’t break us down and we ran out winners by 3-0, a pretty commanding lead to take to the second leg.

Self-belief is a wonderful thing. Isn’t it ?

Final Score: Newport County 0-3 Northampton Town

Scorers : Keegan, Fallon 2

Man Of The Match: Rory Fallon

Team: Nicholls, Byrne, Warren Fulton, Hammar , Keegan, Thompson, Junior, McCourt, O’Halloran, Fallon

Saturday February 21st 2015

FA Trophy Semi-Final Second Leg

Venue: Sixfields Stadium

Northampton Town (BSP 1st) vs. Newport County (BSP 12th )

Our big lead meant I was more than comfortable to choose a very different team for this leg, utilising our strength in depth.

A dull first half, enlivened by very little. They defended well, we defended well, they never looked like scoring, and if I’m fair neither did we. Still 45 minutes closer to Wembley.

Twardzik off at half time, O’Halloran on. A make sure we keep what we hold message from me. 45 minutes to Wembley.

The second half was very similar to the first, very few chances for either side. Fallon could have scored on 64 minutes, but hit the ball straight at the keeper, Newport didn’t manage a shot on target for the whole match. Dire, forgettable rubbish. Rubbish but for one thing. We were in the Final !

Final Score: Northampton Town 0-0 Newport County

Scorers :

Man Of The Match: Ben Gibson

Team: Nicholls, Minihan, Widdowson Armstrong, Gibson , Coke, Clarke, Jones, Hackett, Twardzik (O’Halloran 45), Fallon .

Despite having a man sent off in the second minute Wrexham were the victors in the other semi-final in an aggregate 4-2 victory over Exeter.

Wednesday February 25th 2015

Blue Square Premier Division

Venue: The New Lawn

Forest Green Rovers (9th) vs. Northampton Town(1st)

I gave Mentel the start in goal, to give Nicholls the day off, not sure he needed it, but Mentel has been very good about being understudy and deserves a go. The other selection of note was Luca Scapuzzi, fit again, and raring to go up front.

There was always the chance that this performance was going to be a bit ‘after the Lord Mayor’s Show’, what with us just having secured our Trophy Final place, and that’s a bit how it was. We played ok but the passing was sloppy and chances were snatched at, or blazed wide. The half-finished goalless and if we weren’t careful we were going to end up losing this one.

I told them they could still win this and asked them to push forward a bit more. No personnel changes at this point, but they wouldn’t be far off if things didn’t improve.

They didn’t really, and Forest Green scored on 61 minutes, we had forced them to shoot from range, but this one flew in. But, credit to the lads they went straight up the other end and equalised, Fallon setting up Scapuzzi for a goal on his return.

We had a goal disallowed late on for a body check on the goalkeeper by Fallon, a fair challenge in my book, but not many other people’s I suspect. Then in injury time we gave up another goal, a shame for Mentel as he had done well to that point, but you are judged on results and he’d be back on the bench for the next one.

Final Score: Forest Green 2-1 Northampton Town

League Position: 1st

Scorers : Scapuzzi

Man Of The Match: Filip Mentel

Team: Mentel, Mendy, Widdowson, Fulton, Gibson, Keegan, Thompson, Junior, McCourt, Scapuzzi, Fallon

Agreed, let's work on that. Not the right time for a dip, is it ?

Saturday February 28th 2015

Blue Square Premier League

Northampton Town (1st) vs. Newport County (12th )

It’s the way these things always turn out isn’t it. Having met Newport in a two legged semi-final we now meet them again in the league. It’s an important game for us as we need to get back to winning ways as soon as possible.

We started well, and controlled the possession early on, we went close a couple of times but couldn’t initially find a way through. All this changed on the half hour as Warren crossed from deep and O’Halloran forced the ball home at the near post. Scrappy goal, but it counts just as many as the picture ones, and it was kind of what we needed.

The rest of the half was scrappy, bitty, poor, we passed it around endlessly but didn’t create anything, the Newport 4-5-1 clogs up the midfield and we didn’t really find a way around it.

Half time and I told them to guard against complacency, they took that on board.

Newport however, got straight back into the match as a thirty yard drive flew into the top corner. Lucky strike I reckon, but we were now level. On 56 Hammar missed a penalty, awarded for a foul on Scapuzzi. We pushed forward but the winner wouldn’t come and we dropped two more points. Oxford, now our only realistic challengers, won again, and are now only two points adrift.

Final Score: Northampton Town 1-1 Newport County

Scorers : O’Halloran

Man Of The Match: Giles Coke

Team: Nicholls, Byrne, Warren, Hammar, Armstrong, Meades, Thompson, Coke, Hackett, Scapuzzi, O’Halloran

Saturday March 7th 2015

Venue: The Warren

Hayes & Yeading (8th) vs. Northampton Town(1st)

I tell the lads I expect them to win. A high risk strategy, but essential as if we fail to win today we could slip out of top spot.

12th minute, Hayes take the lead, a shot from the edge of the box that caught Nicholls out, a bad goal to give away. On 18, we were level, a free kick from just inside the Hayes half drifted in and Armstrong rose highest to head home.

It didn’t last, on 24 we were behind again, a standard low cross and the forward getting across the front of the defender to stab it home. Yet on the half hour we were level again, Hackett pulling the ball back for Scapuzzi to hammer the ball home from ten yards out.

Half time, 2-2, I told them they could win this, if they wanted it. I’m no longer quite so sure how much they want it.

On 70 Scapuzzi hit the post, we then made three changes, Byrne and Hammar were both playing terribly, Minihan and Fulton on, Coke had a knock and so Jones replaced him.

However no further chances came our way and we dropped two more points. However it wasn’t all bad news. Oxford slipped up at home and lost to Dartford, so now our lead is back to three points.

Final Score: Hayes & Yeading 2-2 Northampton Town

Scorers : Armstrong, Scapuzzi

Man Of The Match: John Armstrong

Team: Nicholls, Byrne (Minihan 70), Warren, Hammar (Fulton 70), Armstrong, Meades, Thompson, Coke (Jones 70), Hackett, Scapuzzi, Fallon

Thanks George

Tuesday March 10th 2015

Northampton Town (1st) vs. Exeter City (6th )

Exeter lie in sixth, the spot below the playoffs, and with 7 games left of the season they have every chance of getting into the playoffs if they hit form, so this team was not going to provide an easy ride.

A good start for a change, and we are a goal up on 8 minutes, a Widdowson cross, and a diving header from Twardzik, preferred today to O’Halloran, and the ball went in off the post. The game descended into scrappiness as both sides struggled to control the game, we picked up a number of yellow cards. The next goalmouth action didn’t happen until 42 minutes, when we doubled our lead, another Widdowson cross, this one falling between the keeper and the last line of defenders and Rory Fallon slid in to put the ball home.

Two goals up, and in control at the half way point of the match. Time to warn them of complacency I thought. It worked on some but confused a couple of the others.

Exeter, not wanting to slip out of contention for the playoff spots, threw players forward at the start of the second half, but they couldn’t break through. On 70 minutes we scored again, and made it three. Fallon the scorer from just inside the box, a very well taken goal. On 82, and once again against the run of play, we made it four as Twardzik got his second following good work by Junior.

A four-nil win, at a canter. To add even more joy, Oxford lost at seventh place Gateshead , and lost quite heavily, 3-0.

Final Score: Northampton Town 4-0 Exeter City

Scorers : Twardzik 2, Fallon 2

Man Of The Match: Patrik Twardzik

Team: Nicholls, Minihan, Widdowson, Fulton, Gibson, Keegan, Junior, Corry, Robertson, Twardzik, Fallon

With that win we secured ourselves at least a playoff spot. And so, with six games to go, the table looked like this….

| Pos   | Inf   | Team            |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Pl    | Northampton     |       | 40    | 24    | 12    | 4     | 95    | 42    | +53   | 84    | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Oxford          |       | 40    | 23    | 9     | 8     | 69    | 46    | +23   | 78    | 
| 3rd   |       | Wrexham         |       | 40    | 21    | 11    | 8     | 78    | 51    | +27   | 74    | 
| 4th   |       | Port Vale       |       | 39    | 20    | 12    | 7     | 61    | 43    | +18   | 72    | 
| 5th   |       | Forest Green    |       | 40    | 19    | 12    | 9     | 68    | 48    | +20   | 69    | 
| 6th   |       | Exeter          |       | 40    | 19    | 8     | 13    | 62    | 46    | +16   | 65    | 
| 7th   |       | Gateshead       |       | 40    | 18    | 10    | 12    | 66    | 48    | +18   | 64    | 
| 8th   |       | FC Halifax      |       | 40    | 19    | 7     | 14    | 57    | 50    | +7    | 64    | 
| 9th   |       | Hayes & Yeading |       | 40    | 16    | 14    | 10    | 61    | 45    | +16   | 62    | 
| 10th  |       | Bath            |       | 40    | 16    | 8     | 16    | 62    | 60    | +2    | 56    | 
| 11th  |       | Macclesfield    |       | 40    | 15    | 10    | 15    | 73    | 67    | +6    | 55    | 
| 12th  |       | Newport Co      |       | 40    | 14    | 12    | 14    | 54    | 52    | +2    | 54    | 
| 13th  |       | Tamworth        |       | 40    | 14    | 12    | 14    | 50    | 54    | -4    | 54    | 
| 14th  |       | Lincoln         |       | 40    | 12    | 16    | 12    | 59    | 61    | -2    | 52    | 
| 15th  |       | Mansfield       |       | 40    | 12    | 15    | 13    | 70    | 61    | +9    | 51    | 
| 16th  |       | Hereford        |       | 40    | 14    | 8     | 18    | 49    | 68    | -19   | 50    | 
| 17th  |       | AFC Telford     |       | 40    | 13    | 10    | 17    | 51    | 69    | -18   | 49    | 
| 18th  |       | Barrow          |       | 39    | 10    | 14    | 15    | 47    | 55    | -8    | 44    | 
| 19th  |       | Kidderminster   |       | 40    | 10    | 14    | 16    | 48    | 66    | -18   | 44    | 
| 20th  |       | Dartford        |       | 40    | 11    | 7     | 22    | 46    | 80    | -34   | 40    | 
| 21st  |       | Southport       |       | 40    | 10    | 7     | 23    | 51    | 70    | -19   | 37    | 
| 22nd  |       | Alfreton        |       | 40    | 7     | 14    | 19    | 51    | 69    | -18   | 35    | 
| 23rd  |       | Eastleigh       |       | 40    | 5     | 13    | 22    | 39    | 75    | -36   | 28    | 
| 24th  |       | Woking          |       | 40    | 5     | 9     | 26    | 42    | 83    | -41   | 24    | 
|       |       |                 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

Saturday March 14th 2015

Venue: Holker Street

Barrow (18th) vs. Northampton Town(1st)

No need to change this winning side, I didn’t think. Barrow have been in abysmal recent form, but must not be underestimated.

It seems though as though our lads were quite prepared to underestimate Barrow as we gave up the opening goal on 12 minutes. We then threw the kitchen sink at Barrow without any effect. We had a goal disallowed on the half hour, ruled out for a push I didn’t see. We did eventually get back on terms, Twardzik the scorer, rounding the keeper and firing emphatically into the empty net.

One all at half time, nowhere near good enough. The second half kind of melted away, no chances for the first 35 minutes of the half, just to and fro football. On 80, Barrow had a goal disallowed, to be honest, I couldn’t see what was wrong with that one either. On 81, we went up the other end and scored. Keegan free kick, turned home by Twardzik. That was enough to win the game, it finished 2-1.

Winning leagues sometimes requires you to win ugly. That’s exactly what we’ve done here.

Final Score: Barrow 1-2 Northampton Town

Scorers : Twardzik 2

Man Of The Match: Patrik Twardzik

Team: Nicholls, Minihan, Widdowson, Fulton, Gibson, Keegan, Junior, Corry, Robertson, Twardzik, Fallon

Sunday March 22nd 2015

FA Trophy Final

Venue: Wembley

Wrexham (BSP 3rd) vs. Northampton Town(BSP 1st)

We were without Fallon, Fulton and Jones due to international call ups, so some changes were made. Armstrong and Scapuzzi into the starting lineup, Thompson onto the bench.

A cagey opening to the match, hardly surprising given the surroundings, but we settled the better and had some shots from distance that didn’t trouble the keeper. This gave us hope though and we pushed forward. We got a break in the 19th minute, a goalmouth melee saw the ball bundled home by Scapuzzi. A goal up, just about deserved.

Wrexham weren’t out of this by any means and were unlucky to see a shot rebound off the post and into the arms of Nicholls in our goal, 32 minutes gone. But that was as close as they got in the first half.

Half time, a goal up, the cup by no means won. I told them they had one hand on the cup, go out there and make sure you get the other one on there too, I told them.

Wrexham came out fighting, as might have been expected, and were level on 49 as a shot from the edge of the box flew in. A minute later and we were in front again, a Keegan free kick from 25 yards, up and over the wall, leaving the Wrexham keeper stranded. Robertson had a goal on 56 minutes disallowed due to an offside decision. No complaints there. Twardzik limped off with an injury on 61 minutes, O’Halloran his replacement.

We went on the defensive after that, looking to hit them on the break if the opportunity arose. And in fact we had the better chances in the remainder of the match, but the game ended with no more goals, but with Wrexham midfielder Jay Harris being sent off. That, and the nagging suspicion that this was just Wrexham doing what they do - choke in the big games, couldn’t take away from our joy, we had won the FA Trophy, retained it in fact, and that was awesome.

Final Score: Wrexham 1-2 Northampton Town

Scorers : Scapuzzi, Keegan

Man Of The Match: Luca Scapuzzi

Team: Nicholls, Minihan, Widdowson, Armstrong, Gibson, Keegan, Junior, Corry, Robertson, Twardzik (O’Halloran 61), Scapuzzi

The fans and the board were jubilant with the Trophy success, but whilst the fans were content to dance in the streets singing my name, the board pointed out that we shouldn’t take our eye off the ball, that there were bigger prizes out there to secure.

How right they were.

As you wish, sir...

Saturday March 28th 2015

Venue: Vale Park

Port Vale (4th) vs. Northampton Town(1st)

This wouldn’t be a good place to have a post-euphoria dip, Port Vale have been in top form recently, climbing the table to fourth after an average start to the season, and we would need to be at our best to get anything out of this game.

At our best we weren’t, at least not initially, Vale controlled the ball and had a number of chances, none of which trouble Nicholls. The radio in my ear informed the Oxford had scored twice in quick succession in their game, and obviously that made our own performance all the more important.

We improved a bit, but only to such a point where now neither side looked much like scoring, the half ebbed away and we went in goalless. I was buoyed a little by news that Macclesfield had scored twice late on in the half, thus equalising at Oxford. That didn’t make my team talk any different though, we weren’t playing well enough.

Right at the start of the second half Scapuzzi missed a gilt-edged chance inside the Vale box, It didn’t matter for long though as we grabbed the lead on 54 minutes, Scapuzzi linking well with Thompson, joining well from midfield, and he played the ball to Fallon on the edge of the box. The New Zealander still had a lot to do, but he steered the ball under the diving goalkeeper, and we were one-nil up.

Scapuzzi missed another good chance on 67 and wasn’t playing great, so I decided to give the in-form Twardzik a run out, the substitution made in the 74th minute. But it has to be said the match had come alive after our goal. Vale threw men forward and had chances to equalise that they generally wasted, Nicholls making a couple of smart saves. At the other end we were breaking with purpose and their goalkeeper was single handedly keeping them in the game, making three top draw saves to keep us out. Tackles were flying in, and by the end the card happy ref had shown his yellow card 8 times, 4 to each team.

Then right at the end of three minutes of injury time we grabbed a second, clinching goal, a Widdowson cross and Robertson arriving at the far post to score from a tight angle. They had no time to come back, and we ran out looking a bit more comfortable in winning than we actually were. Oxford could only draw their match and so now, with four games left, we were eight points ahead.

Final Score: Port Vale 0-2 Northampton Town

League Position : 1st

Scorers : Fallon, Robertson

Man Of The Match: Ryan Thompson

Team: Nicholls, Minihan, Widdowson, Fulton, Gibson, Meades, Thompson, Corry, Robertson, Fallon , Scapuzzi (Twardzik 74)

Saturday April 4th 2015

Northampton Town (1st) vs. Wrexham (3rd)

The difficult matches just keep coming. Here today we greet our erstwhile Trophy final opponents, Wrexham. So for this, just the one change from the last game, Keegan in, on the left, for Meades.

It took under two minutes for us to get on the scoreboard, a what a goal it was. Widdowson played the ball out of our own left back area, a 40yard pass up the line to Fallon, he took the ball on, to the byline, crossed and Scapuzzi rose to head it home. A brilliant goal, our 100th goal of the season too.

It was all Northampton during this spell, but we couldn’t add to the score, Fallon shooting narrowly wide, Scapuzzi hitting the crossbar with a header with the keeper beaten. Finally on 36 minutes we added a second goal, a fabulous move, pass after pass after pass, Fallon to Thompson to Scapuzzi who fired his second of the game on the turn.

On 39 Wrexham put together their first decent attack of the match, and scored from it. Out of the window went any thoughts of coasting this match, we had a proper game on.

But that was how we went in at half time, 2-1 up. Oxford were drawing their match at home to Barrow. It was at this point that the physio pointed out to me that if those two results stayed the same then the league title would be ours, 10 points ahead with three games remaining. I doubted very much that Oxford would remain quite as obliging, and so I told the lads to keep playing well, and in fact play better.

45 seconds into the second half and we were 3-1 up. Robertson cut in from his wing and attacked the heart of the Wrexham defence, he drew one centre-back, the one marking Scapuzzi and then fed the ball to the feisty Italian, the defence desperately tried to cover, driving Scapuzzi wider, but that just made the shot into the net even more spectacular , beating the keeper at the near post all ends up. That, of course, was his hatrick.

On 54 Gibson made a mistake, giving the ball away in his own half, but the shot that followed, was greeted by a flying save by Nicholls, with the rebound skied over the bar by the oncoming forward, who was clearly off balance.

The game saw no more goals but plenty of chances from both sides. Wasteful attacking by us, but brilliant defending denying them. We win, but was it enough to secure the title ?

Final Score: Northampton Town 3-1 Wrexham

Scorers : Scapuzzi 3

Team: Nicholls, Minihan, Widdowson, Fulton, Gibson, Keegan, Thompson, Junior, Robertson, Fallon , Scapuzzi

In the other game, Barrow, 15th in the table, surprised Oxford in second, and grabbed a 1-0 win at their place.

Yes.

Oxford lost, we won.

Eleven points clear, three games to go.

We are the Champions !

Indeed, and thanks for the congrats

Monday April 6th 2015

Venue: Eastleigh Stadium

Eastleigh (23rd) vs. Northampton Town(1st)

The first of our three remaining games was only two days later, the Easter Monday game, at struggling Eastleigh. I made changes to avoid unnecessary strain on some tired players, and let some of the fringe players have a run out.

What to say about the first half. Well once again we struggled with the 4-5-1 setup and were overrun in midfield. Then Noble got injured so I put Keegan on and we went five across the middle too, and we seemed to cope better after that. Still no goals in the first half, mind.

The second half wasn’t much of an improvement on the first but it did contain a goal. It went to us, in the 85th minute, a corner, not cleared, and O’Halloran was on home to stab home the rebound. Not a game for the purists this one, but this is why we are champions, we can win ugly.

Final Score: Eastleigh 0-1 Northampton Town

Scorers : O’Halloran

Team: Mentel, Byrne, Warren, Hammar, Armstrong, Meades, Williams, Corry, Jones, O’Halloran , Noble (Keegan 25)

The following day, Nathan Eccleston was passed fit to resume full training. The lad had been out 5 months with a broken leg, it was good to see him back.

Saturday April 11th 2015

Northampton Town (1st) vs. Alfreton (22nd)

This is it for Alfreton, failure to win both their remaining games will mean definite relegation, so today is the very definition of a must win game. Not that we are going to make it easy for them, that wouldn’t be fair on the sides around them, besides which if we win both our remaining games we’ll finish on 102 points, and who wouldn’t want that on their CV ?

So, naturally, I put the first team out, with Eccelston on the bench.

In the first half hour we hit the post once and the bar twice, Alfreton offered nothing. We were getting frustrated, but on 31 minutes all that changed. Thompson, who has been awesome for us since he signed, charged down the right, and crossed, it eluded the keeper and dropped at the feet of Fallon who blasted home his thirtieth goal of the season in all competitions.

No more goals in the first and as a result I tell them they can do better in the second. Chances come and go but it’s not until 58 minutes that we add a second, a Robertson cross powerfully headed home by Fallon. 63 minutes and another Robertson cross, another Fallon header, his hatrick and our 3-0 lead.

68 minutes and Keegan injures himself making a sliding tackle, Jones on. Alfreton then broke down the pitch on 74 and scored, too little too late, surely ?

It was, the game fizzled out, and we ran out winners at a canter. Alfreton were down on this, (and all their other), result(s).

Final Score: Northampton Town 3-1 Alfreton

Scorers : Fallon 3

Team: Nicholls, Minihan, Widdowson, Fulton, Gibson, Keegan( Jones 68), Thompson, Junior, Robertson, Fallon , Scapuzzi

In other games, Wrexham moved into second, and Forest Green all but secured their participation in the playoffs, only an unlikely mathematical event could prevent them from doing so.

Saturday April 18th 2015

Venue: Sincil Bank

Lincoln City (14th) vs. Northampton Town(1st)

So here it was the final game of the season. We are on 99 points and it would be nice to break the 100 point barrier. As I say it will look good on my CV, as I feel my reputation can only have been enhanced by the league and cup double, and that new opportunities may be about to come my way.

In terms of the team Gibson and O’Halloran have both returned to their clubs with their loan periods having come to an end, both did well here, but of the two Gibson is the only one I would keep, and we didn’t have a pre-arranged price for him. Armstrong steps into the starting lineup, for Gibson and Eccleston takes the vacant spot on the bench.

In the 10th minute of a game we were dominating Luca Scapuzzi scored his 25th goal for the club, set up by Fallon at the end of a flowing move. We should, perhaps, have scored more in the first half but the lads just seemed to lack that killer instinct that had served them so well earlier in the season, and we got to half time just a single goal up.

I told them to keep it up, well, no sense in spoiling the end of term mood was there ?

No sense in it at all, as it turned out. 34 seconds into the second period and we were two up, a fabulous individual goal by Keegan. Scapuzzi got his second and the team’s third on the hour mark, their defence failed to close him down as he burst into the box, and he made no mistake from 15 yards out.

We coasted from that point to the end of the game. Lincoln applied some pressure, but it was dealt with ease by our defence, we didn’t create much going forward, but then again we didn’t have to.

Final Score: Lincoln City 0-3 Northampton Town

Scorers : Scapuzzi 2, Keegan

Team: Nicholls, Minihan, Widdowson, Fulton, Armstrong, Keegan, Thompson, Junior, Robertson, Fallon , Scapuzzi

And so the final Blue Square Premier Division table for season 2014/15 looked like this:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team            |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   | C     | Northampton     |       | 46    | 30    | 12    | 4     | 109   | 45    | +64   | 102   | 
| 2nd   | Pl    | Wrexham         |       | 46    | 25    | 11    | 10    | 86    | 57    | +29   | 86    | 
| 3rd   | Pl    | Oxford          |       | 46    | 24    | 12    | 10    | 74    | 51    | +23   | 84    | 
| 4th   | Pl    | Gateshead       |       | 46    | 23    | 10    | 13    | 76    | 51    | +25   | 79    | 
| 5th   | Pl    | Forest Green    |       | 46    | 22    | 12    | 12    | 75    | 59    | +16   | 78    | 
| 6th   |       | Port Vale       |       | 46    | 21    | 13    | 12    | 68    | 56    | +12   | 76    | 
| 7th   |       | Hayes & Yeading |       | 46    | 20    | 15    | 11    | 71    | 50    | +21   | 75    | 
| 8th   |       | Exeter          |       | 46    | 22    | 9     | 15    | 67    | 48    | +19   | 75    | 
| 9th   |       | FC Halifax      |       | 46    | 21    | 8     | 17    | 62    | 60    | +2    | 71    | 
| 10th  |       | Bath            |       | 46    | 19    | 9     | 18    | 73    | 70    | +3    | 66    | 
| 11th  |       | Newport Co      |       | 46    | 16    | 15    | 15    | 60    | 56    | +4    | 63    | 
| 12th  |       | Mansfield       |       | 46    | 15    | 17    | 14    | 78    | 63    | +15   | 62    | 
| 13th  |       | Macclesfield    |       | 46    | 16    | 14    | 16    | 79    | 72    | +7    | 62    | 
| 14th  |       | Hereford        |       | 46    | 17    | 9     | 20    | 62    | 73    | -11   | 60    | 
| 15th  |       | Lincoln         |       | 46    | 14    | 17    | 15    | 61    | 67    | -6    | 59    | 
| 16th  |       | Barrow          |       | 46    | 14    | 14    | 18    | 56    | 63    | -7    | 56    | 
| 17th  |       | AFC Telford     |       | 46    | 15    | 11    | 20    | 56    | 77    | -21   | 56    | 
| 18th  |       | Tamworth        |       | 46    | 14    | 13    | 19    | 51    | 67    | -16   | 55    | 
| 19th  |       | Kidderminster   |       | 46    | 11    | 16    | 19    | 53    | 72    | -19   | 49    | 
| 20th  |       | Dartford        |       | 46    | 13    | 8     | 25    | 54    | 88    | -34   | 47    | 
| 21st  | R     | Southport       |       | 46    | 12    | 8     | 26    | 56    | 78    | -22   | 44    | 
| 22nd  | R     | Alfreton        |       | 46    | 9     | 15    | 22    | 55    | 76    | -21   | 42    | 
| 23rd  | R     | Woking          |       | 46    | 8     | 9     | 29    | 48    | 90    | -42   | 33    | 
| 24th  | R     | Eastleigh       |       | 46    | 6     | 13    | 27    | 42    | 83    | -41   | 31    | 
|       |       |                 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

109 goals in a season was a new league record, though 102 points wasn’t, Crawley got 105 in 2010/11. Rory Fallon got 27 league goals, second only to Oxford’s James Constable who got 28. Joe Widdowson led the table for the number of assists with 20. Joe also had the highest average rating of any player. Rory Fallon was second and Luca Scapuzzi third in that list. All-in-all a very successful season.

And to top it all off I was awarded the Manager Of the Month award for April.

Into May, and the big thing to occur here was the takeover of the club by a local business man. The club now has an £8m loan to cover debts, and a wage budget that covers our current wage level. He also offered me a transfer budget of £22k. Yes, £22k. I’m not sure I’ll be able to make a side capable of surviving in League Two with that.

In the playoff for the second promotion spot from the BSP the winner was Gateshead who beat Wrexham in the final on penalties. Plus Ca Change, Wrexham always have been bottlers when it comes to the big games.

Rory Fallon won the Blue Square Premier Division Player of the Year award.

I went for but failed to get the vacant Blackpool manager’s job. The board said they hoped I would stay. This kind of stopped me chasing other roles so much. The board set some better initial budgets which helped. £81k transfer and £53k wage budget. Room for manoeuvre.

On the 9th of June 2015 the transfer window reopened. One of the first actions was to move Leon Legge and his large wage out of the club. Wrexham bought him for £4.5k, we still had to pay his loyalty bonus, so the deal cost us, but at least he’s off the wage bill.

On the 21st Luke Gutteridge, 34, retired from professional football, he had been a good servant to Northampton, but wasn’t going to feature in League Two and so he did the only thing he could really and called it a day. Good luck to him in the future.

On the 22nd Ronnie Moore retired from football leaving the manager’s job at Tranmere vacant. Tranmere finished second in League One and will be playing in the Championship next season. I couldn’t resist that one, I applied. Arsene Wenger at Arsenal retired the same day. I didn’t apply for that one.

Once again the board put out a statement hoping I’ll stay. I guess I have to remember that it was my agitating for another job that lost me the job at Deinze, but I ended up here after that, so was it a bad move on my part ?

Even though I’ve got an eye out for another appointment that doesn’t mean my efforts for Northampton abate at all. The following day we agree a deal to sign Swansea reserves right winger, Gwion Edwards on a free at the end of his contract. He’s 22, rated very highly by the scouts, an upgrade on the right side and due to join us on July 1st when his current deal expires.

In the end of season awards at the club Rory Fallon was named the fan’s Player of the Year, well deserved it was too. The new season’s fixture list was also published and shows we’ll start at home with our fellow promotees, Gateshead the visitors. The last game of the season will be at home to Accrington Stanley.

End of Season Review

At the end of season 3 of my career, I had attained 4 trophies,

Trophies Won: Belgian Third Division Champions Season 2012/3 – Deinze

English FA Trophy Season 2013/4 – Northampton Town

English FA Trophy Season 2014/5 – Northampton Town

Blues Square Premier League Champions 2014/5 – Northampton Town

A chat with the board about season’s expectations follows. I say we can finish in the top half, with this comes an £85k transfer budget and a £45.5k wage budget. We’re already at £41k what with the automatic wage rises in a number of the player’s contracts, so some pruning and reorganisation might well be required. That should probably be my next job, A full review of the team and an attempt to work out where we can improve and if we can find any gems to do just that.

So the review of talent occurred on the 2nd of July the day after Edwards had signed up. So we could improve at right back, we need more depth in central defence, More depth in the centre of midfield and up front. In fact we could easily improve in all areas, but can we afford to do that ? Time to see what we can find in the loan market. First stop as ever, our parent club, Middlesbrough.

We enquired about a number of loan possibilities from Middlesbrough and got polite refusals for some of them, Ben Gibson included. I chose not to have another season of Jordan Jones, at least until I had surveyed the rest of the loan market. Meanwhile we strengthened on the right side of defence with not one but two players. Reece Donaldson, 21 recently released by Gillingham, an improvement on Mendy but still likely to only be understudy to the other player, Todd Kane, also 21, released at the end of last season by Chelsea.

I also signed a new, three year contract. £1200 per week. I didn’t get the Tranmere job either.

One of the loan requests we made to Middlesbrough came off, Adam Jackson, 21 a central defender, joins on a season-long loan. We also signed another player released by Chelsea. George Cole is a midfielder, but is more of a backup in that position.

Two more season long loans soon followed, Lawson D’Ath, a central midfielder, loaned from Reading and Tom Eaves a forward loaned from Watford.

In the Capital One Cup first round draw we got a home tie against League One Charlton. We secured our fourth and final season long loan, with Junior of Everton returning for another season.

Saturday August 8th 2015

nPower League Two

Northampton Town (n/a) vs. Gateshead (n/a)

So, the brave new world of league football starts here for both clubs. Seven subs, rules about home grown players, new stuff to think about as a manager. Gateshead are completely new to this level, but although we have dominated them over the last couple of seasons (3 wins and a draw in the four matches we have contested), I don’t think they should be underestimated.

Debuts today for Kane at right back, Jackson in the centre of defence , D’Ath in the midfield and Eaves up front. Fulton not having quite recovered from a training injury missed out and Armstrong took his place. Robertson was preferred to Edwards on the right, and that was pretty much was the only question I had as to what was my best side at this time.

We showed a few first night nerves early on and couldn’t keep possession as we usually do, the mistakes multiplied, one following another and we were playing terribly. It was no surprise at all when, on 31 minutes, Gateshead passed through some non-existent challenges and rifled home the opening goal from the edge of the box. Welcome to League Two.

Half time, a goal down. Me shouting at them, teacups flying. You get the picture. Keegan had been truly abysmal in the first period and so I replaced him with Meades. The lads went back out there looking a bit more motivated. Either that or really scared, I wasn’t bothered which.

But things just didn’t improve at all, the game flowed by and we created nothing. On 79 Widdowson was injured, Hammar on and a defensive reorganisation. I also took Eaves off after an anonymous game and replaced him with Scapuzzi and an instruction to get the ball forward.

Kane, now playing left back, hit the post on 88, and the rebound bounced around before being pounced on by the keeper, but that was as close as we got. Back in the league, back with a defeat.

Final Score: Northampton Town 0-1 Gateshead

League Position : 18th

Scorers :

Man Of The Match: Ryan Thompson

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson (Hammar 79), Armstrong, Jackson, Keegan( Meades 45), Thompson, D’Ath, Robertson, Fallon , Eaves (Scapuzzi 79)

Kind words, Spav, thank you very much. It's always nice to be appreciated.

Tuesday August 11th 2015

Capital One Cup First Round

Northampton Town (L2 18th) vs. Charlton Athletic (L1 10th)

Five changes for this one, Hammar, Coke, Junior, Edwards and Scapuzzi into the team, for what may well be a difficult ask.

It was one way traffic in all honesty. Nicholls made a wonder save on 13, but this only put off the inevitable for a few more moments, and on 17 minutes, they scored, our marking was all over the place and we could have written invitations the center forward had that much time and space.

On 22, it was 2-0 to the visitors, a missed challenge on the right winger and a low cross later we were two down. I hastily reorganised the defence, asked Hammar to man mark the centre forward, Jackson to cover, and put the full backs man to man on the wingers. It had some good as we formed our first spell of possession and first attack, this led to a goal, which was nice, Scapuzzi converting from around the penalty spot after good work by Fallon.

The revival didn’t last and within two minutes, on 38, it was 3-1, the full back with his first ever goal for Charlton, clearly the defensive reorganisation had its faults.

Half time two down and once again I’m not happy. The second half is better, but we ship a fourth goal near the end and this goes down as a comprehensive defeat.

Final Score: Northampton Town 1-4 Charlton

Scorers : Scapuzzi

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson, Hammar, Jackson, Coke, Thompson, Junior, Edwards, Fallon , Scapuzzi

Saturday August 15th 2015

nPower League Two

Venue: The Fan’s Stadium, Kingsmeadow

AFC Wimbledon (12th) vs. Northampton Town(18th)

Our first away game in this division, and a couple of changes made, once more. Mendy gets the nod over Kane being the main one.

The Wimbledon boys were up for this one, both central midfielders picked up yellow cards in the first ten minutes, perhaps showed there were a little too ‘up’ for this. But their combativeness forced us back and it was with the run of play when they scored after 15 mins, a corner bundled home when we failed to clear it.

On 29 minutes Lawson D’Ath limped off, replaced by Thompson. We played better after that and were level on 41, Eaves with his first goal for the club, following an attack that was pressed home very well by the lads.

Into the second half with a renewed sense of optimism. It didn’t last, they got a breakaway goal on 57, very much against the run of play. But then despondency didn’t take hold either as we equalised on 63, Fallon shooting, hitting the post then pouncing on his own rebound to score.

The game degenerated after that to a festival of poor tackling and wasted opportunities. The game finished 2-2 and we had our first point in this division.

Final Score: AFC Wimbledon 2-2 Northampton Town

League Position : 18th

Scorers : Eaves, Fallon

Man Of The Match: Tom Eaves

Team: Nicholls, Mendy, Widdowson, Jackson, Armstrong, Keegan, D’Ath (Thompson 29), Junior, Robertson, Fallon , Eaves

Tuesday August 18th 2015

nPower League Two

Northampton Town (18th) vs. Barnet (16th)

The first half was closely fought as you might expect between two teams who haven’t made the best of starts, very few chances to either team. However just before half time we scored, that old standby of a Widdowson corner, headed in at the near post by Armstrong.

Half time and a goal up. I told them to play even better and sent them back out.

On 52 we got a second goal. Robertson, hugging the line, got the ball from Mendy, rode a challenge, got to the byline, cut in and then pulled the ball back to Eaves who made no mistake from close in. Then, on 81, we were awarded a penalty, the Barnet boys were furious, and Fallon stepped up to put it away. 3-0.

Final Score: Northampton Town 3-0 Barnet

League Position : 9th

Scorers : Armstrong, Eaves, Fallon (pen)

Man Of The Match: John Armstrong

Team: Nicholls, Mendy, Widdowson , Armstrong, Jackson, Keegan, Thompson, Junior, Robertson, Fallon , Eaves

The question was now we had broken our duck, what could we really go on and do in this division.

Saturday August 22nd 2015

nPower League Two

Venue: Whaddon Road

Cheltenham Town (15th) vs. Northampton Town(9th)

Kane back in, but otherwise unchanged, we go into this game in good spirits, but not unaware of the task ahead.

Another hard fought, scrappy game. Once again we took the lead from a set piece. 35 minutes on the clock, a Widdowson corner, half cleared, and Eaves pouncing on it and firing it home from close range.

Once again half time a goal up and a message of well done, but you can do better.

This time though, on 61 minutes they equalised, a scrappy goal, but they all count. The game was then kind of to and fro without creating much in the way of goal mouth action for either set of fans. Then in the 91st minute a corner fell to the edge of the box where Junior unleashed an unstoppable 25 yard drive into the top corner. His first ever goal for Northampton. Cheltenham had no time to come back and we ran out 2-1 winners of this match.

Final Score: Cheltenham Town 1-2 Northampton Town

League Position : 7th

Scorers : Eaves, Junior

Man Of The Match: Junior

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson, Jackson, Armstrong, Keegan, Thompson, Junior, Robertson, Fallon , Eaves

Saturday August 29th 2015

nPower League Two

Venue: Edgeley Park

Stockport County (13th) vs. Northampton Town(7th)

No changes to a winning team, an old adage that works very well in real life. So that’s what we did here.

Stockport turn out with a strange 3-4-1-2 formation, a strange looking thing that I hope our standard revised 4-4-2 formation that’s taken us to three straight unbeaten games can cope.

Early on we pushed up, but had to become more circumspect as they caught us on the break, Nicholls tipping the ball round the post to save us. However on 16 minutes we got the lead, completely out of the blue. Their keeper scuffed a goal kick straight to Fallon who ran back in on goal and made not mistake from 12 yards out. A fluke goal, but they all count.

Stockport rallied and produced a well taken goal to equalise on 21 minutes, getting to the byline and a good cross in, the method of delivery. Goal got, they sat back, curious.

Just before half time we lost Jackson to an injury, Fulton on in his place. Meanwhile at half time some words of encouragement, and a good reaction to them.

More dross in the second half, and on 79, they got a second goal. Defensive sloppiness once more allowed a corner to sail across the goal and be volleyed in at the far post. We were behind, could we get anything out of this match ?

The answer was no as late chances came and went, game over a 2-1 defeat.

Final Score: Stockport County 2-1 Northampton Town

League Position : 10th

Scorers : Fallon

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson, Jackson, Armstrong, Keegan, Thompson, Junior, Robertson, Fallon , Eaves

Tuesday September 1st 2015

Johnson’s Paint Trophy South First Round

Venue: Kenilworth Road

Luton Town (L2 5th) vs. Northampton Town(L2 10th)

Transfer deadline day was further complicated by this, non-entity of a competition. Having said that, we obviously needed all the game time we could get to try and build a bit of form. Nevertheless it was still a good opportunity to give players like Widdowson a break.

I sent the lads out relaxed and 45 minutes of drab football followed. Both sides had a couple of presentable chances, but neither side really managed to trouble the keeper’s when in reality they should have each have done much better.

Coke went off early in the second half, injured, replaced by Junior. Luton then, on 55, blazed wide a glorious opportunity. Then, just as the match seemed to be petering out into a draw, Hackett found some space on the right, picked out his man, and the recipient of that pass, Eaves shot the ball on the turn, catching the Luton keeper out, and going in off a post., 83 minutes gone. Luton didn’t mount anything in the way of attacks thereafter and we ran out winners by a single goal.

Final Score: Luton Town 0-1 Northampton Town

Scorers : Eaves

Team: Nicholls, Byrne, Warren, Hammar, Armstrong, Meades, Thompson, Coke (Junior 47), Hackett, Fallon , Eaves

We did make one signing on transfer deadline day, and saw one leave. Paddy McCourt, released at the end of the season by Leicester was the man we signed, and Tom Clarke was the player out, on an £18k deal to Kettering. In the draw for the next round of the Johnson’s Paint Trophy we got a home draw against Aldershot. We were without a game the following weekend, and so by the time we next played we had dropped to 14th spot.

Saturday September 12th 2015

nPower League Two

Northampton Town (14th) vs. Dagenham & Redbridge(3rd)

No doubt this was going to be a difficult game. The Daggers have ridden their version of the 4-1-2-2-1 formation to third in the table and today was going to be a test as to whether the revised 4-4-2 I was currently playing was up to the job or if a complete tactical rework was going to be required for this season.

Well, we got off to a really good start, opening the scoring on 9 minutes, a long ball from defence catching the Dagenham defence out, and Fallon taking the ball round the keeper to score. Just three minutes later we would have been two up but for a fabulous fingertip save by their keeper, Keegan the unlucky player. The rest of the first half flew by, and I think I’m right in saying that Nicholls didn’t have a save to make.

Usual half time banter, ‘good, but you can do better’, and back off out there, I can’t imagine our guests will be as uninspired as in the second half.

And indeed I was right. They came out like candidates on The Apprentice told they have one last chance, all industry and application. They scored on 47, a slick move, that we didn’t even get close to.

Then on 78 a horror show to concede a second. Junior gave it away in midfield, but then the ball was punted aimlessly up the pitch. Nicholls[/b[ had time to pick it up but he elected to fly hack it away, and of course he got this wrong, hitting it straight to a Dagenham player, who despite being 25 yards put had an open goal to hit which he did.

I think I may have frightened them into seeking out an equaliser I was in that much of a rage on the touchline. Eaves hit the post on 82, but we did get the equaliser on 84, a Widdowson near post corner, finding Hammar unmarked and he had the time and cool head to steady himself and them bury the ball into the back of the net.

The draw seemed to be satisfactory to both sets of players and we sat back and saw out the draw. I still was very disappointed in the team, we could have won that game. Still one point, but one place down in the table to 15th.

Final Score: Northampton Town 2-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

League Position : 15th

Scorers : Fallon, Hammar

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson, Hammar, Fulton, Keegan, Thompson, Junior, Robertson, Fallon , Eaves

I spent the days following the game thinking on how we could tactically better cope with what was being thrown at us in this division. To that end we thought up and put into the training arena a couple of new formations, one of which would debut in the next game….

Tuesday September 15th 2015

nPower League Two

Northampton Town (15th) vs. Shrewsbury Town(3rd)

We go with a 4-1-2-2-1 formation of our own, Fallon up front on his own and Junior in the defensive midfielder slot. McCourt gets his first start of his second spell here on the left wing.

5 minutes in and we score, McCourt playing in Coke running on from his midfield berth, striding into the box and dispatching the ball under the keeper’s despairing dive. The rest of the half was two teams trying and failing to find a way through. No real chances to either side for the rest of the half.

The second half was possibly the dullest 45 minutes of football I have ever seen. Practically nothing that could be even generously designated as ‘highlights’, A couple of yellow cards, and no threats on our lead. Still, 1-0, we can’t complain, not for a tactics first outing.

Final Score: Northampton Town 1-0 Shrewsbury Town

League Position : 11th

Scorers : Coke

Man Of The Match: Giles Coke

Team: Nicholls, Mendy, Widdowson, Hammar, Armstrong, Junior, Coke, D’Ath, McCourt, Edwards, Fallon

Cheers Mark, I'm thinking playoffs, and obviously get myself noticed by bigger clubs

Saturday September 19th 2015

nPower League Two

Venue: Pirelli Stadium

Burton Albion (17th) vs. Northampton Town(11th)

Some changes due to early season fitness issues, plus a bit of wanting to find out who’s best in each position, having said that Junior plays, despite being tired as he’s the only DM we have in the first team squad.

We struggled early on to get to grips with the Burton lads quick passing, but we recognised that once we got on the ball we could make them chase too. On 27 minutes we took the lead, Thompson moving up the pitch, played Eaves in beyond the last man, Eaves took the ball on a stride and hit it from 20 yards, the ball flying into the net.

Burton tried to get back into the match, but this formation does seem, at least at this stage, to be very good at preventing opportunities for the opposition. Half time came, we were a goal up and looking comfortable. I told them to keep it and do better, the usual really.

And the second half looked just as comfortable, we were the ones in control here as Eaves had a sharp shot well saved on 54, nothing coming from the resultant corner. We did get a second on 68 minutes, as the Burton defence tried to launch an attack. D’Ath got in the way of a long ball from the back, the ball looped forward and Eaves took the opportunity to run onto the ball, take it down the pitch, draw the keeper and then slot it under him, for a fabulous opportunists goal.

That goal killed Burton off and we saw the game out with ease. Results elsewhere meant that we rose up the table as far as 6th.

Final Score: Burton Albion 0-2 Northampton Town

League Position : 6th

Scorers : Eaves 2

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson, Hammar, Fulton, Junior, Thompson, D’Ath, Keegan, Edwards, Eaves

Tuesday September 22nd 2015

nPower League Two

Venue: The Globe Arena, Morecambe

Morecambe (8th) vs. Northampton Town(6th)

Junior really wasn’t fit for this one, he looked in need of a rest, so he got a rest here, Johan Hammar stepping into the DM role in the absence of me being able to get anyone in, post transfer deadline.

Eleven minutes in, and we are a goal ahead, Eaves again, another well taken goal with a placed shot from just inside the box. It was, once again, all us. On 27 a quick break was broken up by The Shrimpers right back, who used his hand to bat away a ball over his head aimed for the run of Keegan. The ref had no hesitation in sending him off for deliberate hand ball, or maybe it was preventing a goalscoring opportunity, either would work. The free kick was turned behind and from the resultant corner, we scored again. No Widdowson today, he too was being rested, so Keegan swung the ball over to the near post, Coke hit it on the turn, giving the keeper no chance.

Half time, two up, in control, I was really pleased with this performance, looked like I was getting close to the right blend in terms of personnel to use in this system.

Morecambe came out with a clear sign of a boot up their collective bum, and they pushed forward, but we held firm, defended well for once. On 81 we got a third, a deep cross by Mendy and Eaves rose highest to head home, is there no limit to this boy’s versatility ?

Final Score: Morecambe 0-3 Northampton Town

League Position : 5th

Scorers : Eaves 2, Coke

Team: Nicholls, Mendy, Meades, Armstrong, Fulton, Hammar, Thompson, Coke, Keegan, Edwards, Eaves

Saturday September 26th 2015

nPower League Two

Venue: Home Park

Plymouth Argyle (4th) vs. Northampton Town(5th)

Our third hard away game in a row, would be one way to look at this. Another would be that it was good to get away games at these teams out of the way early in the season. Another would be that we had won the first two of the three away games in a row, so why not the third ?

Plymouth play a similar 4-1-2-2-1 formation and as a result it was a lot harder for my guys to find space. The wide men kept my full backs occupied and they are a big part of why we do well with this formation. It turned into a real battle, and slowly Plymouth got the upper hand. Eventually they confirmed their superiority with a goal, timed at 41 minutes, a shot from the edge of the box that eluded Nicholls. Of course the thing not to do then would be to concede again before half time, but in the first minute of injury time we did just that, not able to clear the ball under constant pressure, and the ball falling to their centre forward eight yards out.

I wasn’t pleased at half time. We had looked good in previous games with this formation defensively but today it had all fallen apart in the last five minutes of the half.

We tried harder in the second half but could not get anywhere, attacks broke down as the closed off all avenues of attack, on 65 they broke down the field and scored again, 3-0.

On 81 we got a goal back, Widdowson corner, Hammar header, goal. Eaves hit the bar with a header shortly after that and with that any vague hope of saving the game went away. Terrible result.

Final Score: Plymouth Argyle 3-1 Northampton Town

League Position : 9th

Scorers : Hammar

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson, Armstrong, Hammar, Junior, Thompson, Coke, Keegan, Edwards, Eaves

Tuesday September 29th 2015

nPower League Two

Northampton Town (9th) vs. Cambridge United(10th)

Cambridge have not been in the best of form in away matches in recent weeks and as such I thought this would be a good time to roll out the 4-2-3-1 formation, offering as it does, more attacking options than the 4-1-2-2-1 formation.

As first 45 minutes go, that one was a bit of a let-down. Yes, we created a number of good chances but we failed to put any of them away. I told the lads I wasn’t happy and sent them back out there to try and make amends.

And make amends they did with a goal in just 27 seconds of the start of the second half, Fallon, a guilty one in the first half, exonerating himself here with a well taken goal. On 48 minutes we scored again. Fallon once more, this time with a penalty, given when Fallon himself was shoved in the back as a cross came in. Not sure the guy could have made it any more obvious.

The match settled down after that, and we pushed for a third whilst whenever they got the ball they would shoot from outside the box and not trouble Nicholls

Final Score: Northampton Town 2-0 Cambridge United

League Position : 8th

Scorers : Fallon 2

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson, Armstrong, Jackson, Junior, D’Ath, McCourt, Scapuzzi, Edwards, Fallon

Saturday October 3rd 2015

nPower League Two

Northampton Town (8th) vs. Aldershot(24th)

No formation change for this, a game at home against the league’s bottom club. And a goal on 13 minutes to open with, a Keegan corner, headed home by Fallon at the near post. The game that followed was tense, our lads knowing they were only one goal up .

This lasted right through half time and until the 77th minute when we produced a carbon copy of the first goal, Fallon once more heading home a Keegan corner. That’s also how the game ended.

Final Score: Northampton Town 2-0 Aldershot

League Position : 5th

Scorers : Fallon 2

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Meades, Armstrong, Hammar, Thompson, D’Ath, Keegan, Coke,, Edwards, Fallon

Tuesday October 6th 2015

Johnson’s Paint Trophy South Second Round

Northampton Town (L2 5th) vs. Aldershot(L2 24th)

As is always the way, our last league opponents are tonight’s cup opponents, in the tin pot trophy that is the Johnson’s Paint Trophy. A chance to give Hackett and young George Cole a run out on the wings, as much as anything else.

This new formation we are using, the 4-1-2-2-1, doesn’t give me an awful lot to report on. We made pretty patterns, controlled the ball, stopped them from getting chances, all of these things, but we didn’t create not nearly enough of our own. Goalless at half time, I told the lads as much and sent them on their way.

No goals in the second half either, though we played much better. We were plain unlucky at times and at others their keeper was having a career day, in this trophy ! you had to feel sorry for the lad. He's probably just played the best game of his life and there were only 253 people here to see it !

Anyway no extra time here, straight to penalties. Junior and Cole missed for us, and only one of their guys failed to score, so we go out of this competition. Well, it’s no loss to me.

Final Score: Northampton Town 0-0 Aldershot (Aldershot win 2-4 on Penalties)

Scorers :

Man Of The Match: Junior

Team: Nicholls, Mendy, Widdowson, Armstrong, Jackson, Junior, D’Ath, Robertson, Cole, Hackett, Eaves

In the week after the game, a couple more managers lost their jobs, Gillingham 21st in League 2, didn’t interest me, but Sheffield United 12th in League 1 did, so I applied. The press reported I was a leading candidate for the post and the board said, once more, that they hoped that I’d stay.

Tuesday October 13th 2015

nPower League Two

Venue: Plainmoor

Torquay United (1st) vs. Northampton Town(7th)

Job application or no we still had a game midweek and this one, at the league leaders Torquay was going to be tricky, not because any team in this league was going to hold big fears for us, but because U21 call-ups for Fulton and Hammar combined with an injury to Junior meant we had to put Thompson in an unfamiliar defensive midfield position if we were going to stick with the 4-1-2-2-1 formation which I was quite keen to do.

The first half whilst not completely devoid of entertainment was as it happened quite dull. Two sides testing each other out, we trying to send the ball wide, they trying to hold it in the middle. Few chances, not much entertainment.

At half time I changed the formation pushing the defensive midfielder forward to play in the hole just behind the attacker, quite an aggressive move, but one I thought we needed to do.

The move offered us more attacking options and in the second half we created a lot more chances, and by dint of that we were the better side in the second half. We put the league leaders under pressure, and on 76 minutes we scored, Widdowson feeding in Keegan who turned and shot passed the keeper as the defence stopped and claimed an offside that wasn’t given. We saw the game out after that, Torquay couldn’t get back into the game and we ran out as comfortable winners as a team leading 1-0 can ever be.

Final Score: Torquay United 0-1 Northampton Town

League Position: 6th

Scorers : Keegan

Man Of The Match: Adam Jackson

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson, Armstrong, Jackson, Thompson, D’Ath, Coke, Keegan, Edwards, Fallon

A bunch of other jobs became available after that weekend, I applied for two more Coventry of League One, and Brighton of the Championship. I decided against applying for either Colchester United or Scotland. The board were less pleased this time.

Saturday October 17th 2015

nPower League Two

Venue: Blundell Park

Grimsby Town (22nd) vs. Northampton Town(6th)

Just the one change players wise, Hammar. back from international duty with the Swedish U21s, where he didn’t play, back in for Jackson, and a more aggressive 4-2-3-1 formation from the start this time.

We took a little time to settle, as Grimsby came out like home sides should, looking to take the game to us. We resisted easily and then put together slick passing moves that on 11 minutes created the opening goal for Rory Fallon with a control and shot inside the box that left the Grimsby defence floundering.

We kept the pressure on and the ball moving. On 41 we doubled our lead Fallon creating space for Thompson to run into and slam the ball home, for his first ever goal for the club.

Second half and Grimsby were a different proposition, they played with much more freedom and got a goal, which their play deserved on 69 minutes. We made a couple of changes late on, and withstood the Grimsby onslaught. In the 93rd minute we broke down the field and Edwards grabbed his first for the club and the game was safe.

Final Score: Grimsby Town 1-3 Northampton Town

League Position: 4th

Scorers : Fallon, Thompson, Edwards

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson, Armstrong, Hammar, Thompson, D’Ath (Robertson 84), Coke, Keegan (Cole 84), Edwards, Fallon

Tuesday October 20th 2015

nPower League Two

Northampton Town (4th) vs. Fleetwood Town(8th)

A small rotation of the squad and we were ready to go. A dour first half followed. The fans have started to make noises about how wins are ok but they want to see more entertainment, and seeing this half you kind of saw their point.

On 52 Armstrong made a howler in defence and Fleetwood went on to score. Not the start to the second half that we were looking for. The response of the lads to that set back was, however, exactly what I was looking for. We were level within two minutes, McCourt arriving at the back stick to slot home an Edwards cross.

On 67 we took the lead, Robertson scoring from a tight angle. However on 85 Fleetwood levelled the score, their forward looking a yard offside when he received the ball, but I may be wrong about that. It was beginning to look like a draw but Paddy McCourt wasn’t having any of that as he smashed the ball home, in the first minute of injury time. And that was, indeed enough to win the match.

Final Score: Northampton Town 3-2 Fleetwood Town

League Position: 4th

Scorers : McCourt 2, Robertson

Man Of The Match: Paddy McCourt

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Meades, Armstrong, Jackson, Thompson, D’Ath, Robertson, McCourt, Edwards, Eaves

Saturday October 24th 2015

nPower League Two

Northampton Town (4th) vs. Leyton Orient(7th)

More rotation ahead of this one, Fallon and Widdowson amongst the players coming in. Once again a tight, chanceless first half ensued. Once again I told the lads at half time that we could win this game.

And once again, in the second half we played better. We got a penalty on 67, but Rory Fallon missed it. On 77 we failed to clear a corner and Leyton Orient scored. On 81, the Orient centre-half made a complete balls-up of a clearance, and Rory Fallon nipped ahead of him to make amends for the penalty miss and score the equaliser. Then on 91 we suffered a litany of stupidity, and allowed the Orient player to head home from three yards out. Why Nicholls didn’t come out to claim it only he will ever know. A defeat, in a game we should have at least drawn as a result of it.

Final Score: Northampton Town 1-2 Leyton Orient

League Position: 5th

Scorers : Fallon

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson, Armstrong, Hammar, Junior, D’Ath, Coke, Keegan, Edwards, Fallon

Wednesday October 28th 2015

nPower League Two

Northampton Town (5th) vs. Scunthorpe(17th)

For once we came out in the first half and played, we pushed on, forced a number of saves and last ditch challenges before we broke the deadlock on 25, Edwards forcing the ball home at the near post. We were unlucky not to add to that in the remainder of the half, but we still went in one up.

On 50 we did score again when Edwards crossed for McCourt to head home at the far post. And that turned out be enough. Scunthorpe offered nothing, and with that we rose to third in the table.

Final Score: Northampton Town 2-0 Scunthorpe

League Position: 3rd

Scorers : Edwards, McCourt

Man Of The Match: Gwion Edwards

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Meades, Fulton, Jackson, Thompson, Coke, Robertson, McCourt, Edwards, Fallon

Saturday October 31st 2015

nPower League Two

Venue: Victoria Park

Hartlepool (13th) vs. Northampton Town(3rd)

Ten minutes into the one and we were a goal up, another slick passing move saw Robertson move onto the ball just inside the box, commit the keeper, and then slot the ball past him and into the net, a cracking goal.

On 17, another flowing move, and another goal, this time, Fallon was the scorer, knocking it home from a narrow angle. The game settled down a bit, meaning that Hartlepool finally turned up to play. They grabbed a goal from a corner bang on the stroke of half time, and were suddenly in a game they had no real right to be in.

Half time, and one of my trademark rousing speeches that appealed to not a single one of my players. Other than to render the second half as dull and featureless as any of the previous month’s first halves. Anyway a win of this , our game in hand due to international call-ups, meant that we went top of the league.

Final Score: Hartlepool 1-2 Northampton Town

Scorers : Robertson, Fallon

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Meades, Fulton (Hammar 8), Jackson, Thompson, Coke, Robertson, McCourt, Edwards, Fallon

With that we came to the end of the month of October. I was manager of the month, and Rory Fallon was the player of the month for League Two.

In the First Round of the FA Cup we get fellow League Two side Cambridge United. At least it’s at home.

The job at Norwich becomes vacant. I think better of applying for it, it seems League One is the best I could realistically hope for at this time (my applications for Championship clubs, Brighton and West Ham were rejected pretty much out of hand), so to apply for another Championship club such as Norwich may well offend the board again for no realistic prospect of success, so I’ll hold fire for the moment.

Tuesday November 3rd 2015

nPower League Two

Venue: The Bescot Stadium

Walsall (22nd) vs. Northampton Town(1st)

I decide to go with the old 4-4-2 formation, at least initially. Walsall haven’t had the best of seasons so far and lie in 22nd, one place above the two relegation spots from this division, and I think throwing them a bit of a tactical curveball, might bring results.

Fulton’s injury in the last match was quite a bad one, strained knee ligaments, and he’ll be out for two months. Jackson picked up a thigh strain and will be out for two or three weeks. This means we are down to two fit first team central defenders. In the rest of the team news, Fallon is exhausted so Noble will get the chance to partner Eaves up front.

We got off to a good start, Noble combining well with Eaves early on to produce a shot, form Eaves that the keeper did well to turn away. A couple of minutes later the combination produced the opening goal, Hackett playing Noble in, his shot beat the keeper but came back off the post, into the path of Eaves who had no problem putting it into the empty net. Four minutes gone, and we are a goal up.

On 14 minutes it all went wrong, Widdowson guilty of dwelling on the ball, he was robbed and from the resultant cross the centre forward was allowed to control the ball and knock it in. Shambolic stuff.

Not surprisingly this lifted Walsall and they looked a different team. They scored again on 32 minutes, a 25 yard effort that no keeper in the world would have got close to.

Half time, 2-1 down. I shout at them. A lot.

It didn’t seem to work as we went 3-1 down on 50, a long ball over the top, the defence slow to turn, might as well write the centre-forward a written invitation ‘Would you like to score now ?’.

I screamed at them so more from the touchline. This seemed to have some effect as they pushed up and tried to take the game to the hosts, Noble went round a couple of challenges and unleashed a powerful drive to score on 57. A good effort. I hoped it would lift the team.

D’Ath had a good effort well saved on 77, but that was as good as it got. We ended up losing, a bad loss. Tactical ineptitude on my part ? quite possibly. Let’s buckle down and see if I can’t do this job a bit better.

Final Score: Walsall 3-2 Northampton Town

Scorers : Eaves, Noble

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson, Hammar, Armstrong, Hackett, Coke, D’Ath, Keegan, Eaves, Noble

Saturday November 7th 2015

FA Cup First Round

Northampton Town (L2 1st) vs. Cambridge United (L2 20th)

Not surprisingly I reverted to the 4-2-3-1 formation that has served us so well in the previous weeks. Fallon gets the nod up front.

We started well, passed the ball around with ease. Didn’t create a lot early on but looked well in control. The first goal action in the match occurred on 20 minutes when Rory Fallon was adjudged to have been climbing when he headed the ball into the net. No goal.

Half time came and went with us in control but not creating many chances. I told them to keep working and a goal would come.

How right I was. On 53 minutes Edwards was bundled over in the box, clear penalty. Fallon stepped up, put the thoughts of the last penalty behind him and tucked it away. 1-0.

On 58 we scored again, this time a picture goal, Junior lifted the ball over the back line, into the box, picking up the run of Fallon. Fallon then let it drop over his shoulder and then hit it on the half volley, giving the keeper no chance. Beautiful goal.

We saw the game out with ease. Robertson skimmed the bar on 76 with a lob, but we didn’t need it. An easy 2-0 win, and if that second goal isn’t goal of the month there is no justice in this world.

Final Score: Northampton Town 2-0 Cambridge United

Scorers : Fallon 2 (1 pen)

Team: Nicholls, Mendy, Widdowson, Hammar, Armstrong, Junior, D’Ath, Edwards, Robertson, McCourt, Fallon

The second round of the cup puts us in the role of ‘giants’, as we visit BSS team Braintree Town. Tricky for sure, but it should see us into round three.

As ever thanks Mark, glad to see you are still following

Saturday November 14th 2015

nPower League Two

Venue: Priestfield

Gillingham (15th) vs. Northampton Town(1st)

Fallon is away with New Zealand at the mo, so Eaves gets the nod up front. Keegan sees some playing time on the left.

There’s a theme developing here isn’t there ? A first half with a total of three shots, two for us , one for them. Only one of ours on target, no goal. A half time team talk telling them they can still win the match. Crossed fingers for a better second half.

The crossed fingers thing really seems to work. Anyway, on 51 Keegan unleashed a hitherto unknown weapon in his arsenal, the long throw. With a throw in level with the Gillingham penalty spot, he threw the ball to the corner of the six yard box, where Eaves rose highest to flick the ball over the keeper and into the net.

On 65 Keegan reminded us of one of the other weapons in his arsenal with a free kick from 25 yards that he curled round the end of the wall and into the top right corner of the net. On 89 he did it again, same distance out, more central but exactly the same result, top right corner.

Final Score: Gillingham 0-3 Northampton Town

Scorers : Eaves, Keegan 2

Man Of The Match: Jordan Keegan

Team: Nicholls, Kane, Widdowson, Hammar, Armstrong, Thompson, D’Ath, Keegan, Coke, Edwards, Eaves

Archived